5.0 out of 5 stars My New Family
Published on 5 July 2006 by Maggie

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little taster for older children!
I bought this for my son however he's a bit too young as it describes the different aspects to adoption!I thought it was going to be more of a story!However in saying that I'm sure my nieces and nephews (who are a bit older!) shall benefit from reading it!
Published on 18 Dec 2009 by Mr. M. A. Glyde

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Family, 5 July 2006
An excellent book about adoption - a very easy read for our 4 year old, accessible, not too long, good quality pictures make it easy to adapt to your own situation when reading, good explanation of moving from foster carers to adotive family without being too heavy. Our daughter enjoys going back to the booktime and time again when she feels the need and is trying to make sense of it all. Highly recommended to any new adoptive parents to work through with their child(ren).

5.0 out of 5 stars A good general introduction to adoption, 8 May 2008
Caroline (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I find this book to be a really good introduction to the concept of adoption and why children are adopted. It may not be deep enough for an adopted child, but is ideal as a starting point, or as an introduction to friends and familys' children who are about to have adopted cousins or friends enter their lives. It explains well but without some of the neglect or abuse angles which children from care have experienced, and which some friends and family might feel nervous about revealing to their children. Ideal for age 4-8 or 9.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great post adoption book to get kids talking, 22 Sep 2012
My children age 5 and 6 have really enjoyed this book and it has prompted many good conversations about how families are made up in different ways and how they came to be part of our family. The book focusses on the most important thing that families share; Love.
My only small criticism is that it doesn't cover the reasons why children are adopted, such as neglect or abuse and shows instead a birth mother sick in a hospital bed as a reason. I believe that kids deserve to know the truth in as healthy and child friendly way as possible which is why I marked it only four stars.
Other books which we have found useful and my children have enjoyed are "Nutmeg gets adopted" by Judith Foxon which is published by BAAF. There is a whole series of these books and they centre around a family of squirels and deal with very difficult topics and feelings surrounding adoption in a very child centred way. These books are great for older children aged five upwards. A lovely simple book to start toddlers off with is "A blessing from above" by Patti Henderson, published by Random house.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Family, 14 Oct 2009
I found this a very good book, I am in the process of going for special guardianship of my 3 year old grand daughter and it has helped her to understand a bit more why families can be different and it is ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful book, 3 July 2011
this book offers parents a way to talk to children about adoption generally and then reflect on their particular situation
it boldly states both sets of parents matter your first parents gave you life your adoptive parents gave you a family : if adoptees can understand and accept this they are in a good place
the picutres do not focus on one particular child or adults and there is scope to use the story for different styles of family
this would be a good book to read to a 3-5 year old and for them to read themselves in due course

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little taster for older children!, 18 Dec 2009
Mr. M. A. Glyde (England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 18 Aug 2010
L. Wright - See all my reviews
This book is brilliant for sharing with toddlers. It is easy for them to hold and the pictures are good. Very impressed with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely little story, 12 May 2011
This little book is a lovely little story to read to any little person going through the foster/adoption process.
Not too deep but very informative with young children in mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 30 April 2013
This book goes into a lot of detail about many different families. Probably suit more 6+ years but can be adapted and changed to suit (as in what and how you choose to read). It does prompt for discussion, which means this is a great way to introduce concepts of different families. I like it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Family, 21 Oct 2012
well illustrated & easy to follow.Brought for nieces/nephews who will soon have a new cousin. Although the story is directed at an adopted child they were all able to grasp the concept of adoption.