on 2 January 2012
This book will appeal to fans of Spaced, Hitchhikers Guide and talking cats. A struggling artist awakes with a hangover on a bed of Rhubarb in a strange barn, from then on it gets weird. This book is quite short (only 165 pages) but takes you on an epic adventure of well written characters and strange situations. I enjoy this writer and I enjoyed this story.
on 13 May 2013
I bought this on the strength of other reviews and the fact it was only 99p :-). It was a fantastic read and although the start was a bit shaky, once the characters were formed I was totally invested in them all. I am not sure that I found tons of humour in it but the fact that I was engrossed until the last word and mainly only read comic fantasy shows how good it was. It was only when a couple of killer funny lines appeared near the end that I realised how little humour I had found earlier on.

I didn't realise how short it is (it's basically a longer short story) but although I wanted more, it was right to end it there as it probably would have got silly if it continued.

The formatting of the kindle edition was really annoying, with sentences dropping on to the next line half way through. I don't know who needs to fix it but it does need fixing, as it was very distracting.

As soon as I finished The Thing With UNREALITY, I bought Trouser's Edge, so that's probably all the recommendation you need :-). While it's 99p, just do it!
on 6 August 2012
I downloaded this when it was free- having previously had a go at reading "Trouser's Edge" by the same author. Like "Trouser's Edge", the concept of this story is excellent. The story borrows a little from Monty Python and has echoes of the cat land from Michael Marshall-Smith's "Only Forward".

I enjoyed this tale but I was disappointed that the author still hadn't taken the time to properly format (some sections just drop a line mid-sentence), nor had a proper grammar check been done ("there" for "their"; "sat" for "sitting" and "right-off" instead of "write-off") - this lack of care was what stopped me finishing "Trouser's Edge" previously.

Overall, though, I'm rating 4 stars for an entertaining and promising read. A good time-filler whilst on vacation.
on 2 September 2013
Well, Carl Lee won't win a prize for grammar, syntax, vocabulary, punctuation or spelling, but no doubt 'big name' publishers would claim that proof reading/editing is one of the things you are paying for when you stump up your money for their print books. Any shortfall in literary merit notwithstanding, I found this an entertaining read. I did literally laugh out loud a number of times.
After all, what will £1 buy you these days? Very little, usually - so when several hours of zany entertainment is available for such a miniscule sum, I for one am not about to complain. It's silly, funny and trivial; by all means, buy it!
on 16 January 2013
This guy has a great imagination...I had filed this in my kindle under Apocalyptic...wrong...though the madness of authors like Robert Rankin and Douglas Adams Hitchhikers Guide would sit well in this reality...absolutely great,had to read my partner a couple of snippets just to explain why I suddenly snorted sitting in my chair last night....put scepticism aside and immerse yourself in a brave new world where to me the badgers are the true heroes...all wrapped up with a satisfactory ending...lovely tale,rolls along full of comedy and action!
on 26 February 2014
I was relieved when it was over so I could read something else. It was too unreal for me. The first chapter was gripping but I felt it got too weird as it went on. The writing style was not as impressive as the Tom Holt book I had just finished. I liked the main character, and some of the concepts, and the farm at the start.
on 18 March 2012
The 1st page just grabbed me and I literally couldn't put it down!
Read it on the train to Edinburgh and got lots of amused looks as I laughed out loud all the way thanks to Ori and co on their most unusual journey.

Get it read, you won't regret it! ;)
on 13 June 2014
entertaining. clinically amusing. worst of all spot on. giving mental issues what it really need. a different spectitive on level
of craziness. and the remedy. A laf and a giggle. and move on. enjoyed its originality. oli.
on 15 December 2013
Read this with enjoyment and one eye on what could be the explanation for unreality. Chuckled throughout. If suspending all rational ideas is not easy this book is not for you.
on 24 November 2013
I find this author very easy to read, I find his work great to pick up and put down in break times at work, and as a bedtime read. I would thoroughly recommend this book.