5.0 out of 5 stars wolves and war
If you like original ideas, good plots and a great page turning read, then this is for you!
I like sci-fi and I like fantasy, this has both in spades.
Could not put my kindle down!
Just about to buy the next in the series.
Get it, read it, enjoy it.

P.S. Have now read the whole series, and boy are they all as good as the first!
Enjoy,...
Published on 7 Feb. 2012 by Kev Roberts

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, shame about the prose
I downloaded this book for free after reading the glowing reviews. However, I have to say I was disappointed in the quality of the writing. The story was engaging enough, but I intensely disliked the occasional comments alluding to significant events in the future, and found the dialogue very stilted and poorly written.

I did not enjoy this book enough to...
Published on 5 Oct. 2012 by LizJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars wolves and war, 7 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I like sci-fi and I like fantasy, this has both in spades.
Could not put my kindle down!
Just about to buy the next in the series.
Get it, read it, enjoy it.

P.S. Have now read the whole series, and boy are they all as good as the first!
Enjoy, Kev.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love wolves now!, 31 Dec. 2011
R. Newth (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on recommendation from a friend, and I have to say that I was NOT disappointed. A great story, with some fantastic characters (both human and wolf), and some fantastic writing.

I'll try not to spoil the plot, but you can expect battles, nasty villains, loveable lead characters, and a very well thought-out world for the story to take place in, I hope we get to see more of it in the later books!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, shame about the prose, 5 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

I did not enjoy this book enough to bother with the sequels, even if they were free. I do believe that if this author keeps polishing her skills, and perhaps can find a good editor to work with, she will produce interesting books in the future.

This book was classified as Science Fiction and Fantasy, but it should have been labelled as young adult fiction, in my opinion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Painful reminder of the costs of war, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
At the outset I want to make you aware of the British English / Scottish English phrasing and spelling in "Wolves and War". NOT American English!!! Because of the sometimes young phrasing, I feel "Wolves and War" is meant for young adults and up. While harsh at times the violence is not descriptive. There is some romance, but it is about as innocent as romance can get. What you do need to remember (sort of a warning) is that "Wolves and War" is about war and war is anything but nice.

On to the fun stuff.

I really enjoyed "Wolves and War". At times I hurt because of the terrible changes to the lives of some of the women and children. War's nature is gruesome. I have NEVER experienced it myself and am speaking solely as one who reads and listens and watches. What amazes me time and again is what people are willing to put up with if the alternative is death. Often I have wondered why people choose to live rather than kill themselves when their lives become so miserable. Some of the lives on the Southern Continent end up being what I would call gruesome. Yet, somehow life is chosen. Why?

"Wolves and War" does not answer my why. In fact, it leaves me there with my questions. Ms. Rae has done a brilliant thing in doing that because I do not really want another person to answer all my whys. I don't even need there to be an answer to my whys.

"Wolves and War" is a space opera type of Science Fiction - character and world-building is more important than technology.

When the Argyll has to land on the Northern Continent the crew and settlers have to abandon ship before it sinks leaving them without most of their doodads (I know, an extremely technological term). Until war comes to the Northern Continent life is somewhat easier there than on the Southern Continent and the lack of metals is compensated by making tools with a metal-like hardwood. Necessity is the mother of invention even if that invention is a re-invention of old earth weapons. Their smith makes swords, shields, helmets, armour, crossbows and something he calls a contrap:

"... was able to fire pre-loaded arrows a fair distance and thirty at a time. The arrows were loaded into a wooded frame he called a magazine that was placed on the main frame of the contraption itself. The firing mechanism was spring-loaded and the magazine was drawn back and then loosed. Distance and trajectory could be altered by the manipulation of wheels and cogs."

All of this preparation would have been impossible without the Aboriginals of the planet of wolves. The Lind are great hulking beasts about the size of a horse but with the look of a wolf about them. They are furry, snouty and have paws. Somehow both the Lind and the Larg of the Southern Continent have developed telepathic abilities along with the ability to form words. The word thing made me think that their snouts must be formed differently from a wolf's.

What interested the Linds at first about the humans is how humans use their hands and the seeming connection some of the Lind have with some of the humans. Being able to communicate via mind and words is essential in making the humans believe that the Lind are sentient creatures.

Tara is the first human to meet a Lind. Kolyei is a Lind that feels a connection with Tara. Tara is not alone in this ability. On the Northern Continent Tara and Kolyei and Jim and Larya are the two vadeln pairs we get to know most. Tara is only 12 at the time she and Kolyei meet while Jim is in his 40's. Their Lind bond-person is pretty well matched age wise and this is a good thing as these bonds seem to be for life and so deep that one part does not wish to live if the other party dies. A lot of animal-human bond stories seem to have this as the down-side of bonding. On the up-side is an understanding of the other race's traits and language along with a deep sense of being loved unconditionally.

I enjoyed the way Ms. Rae tried to not sugar-coat anything for me as a reader. Granted, the fighting was not as gory as fighting really is, but it did not have to be for me to understand the costs of the war between the Southern and Northern Continents. She also did not try to hide the problems that would arise with 20,000 male prisoners escaping into an environment where females are on the run and only 300. When the leader of the prisoners is unscrupulous, well - things go as they pretty much have to go.

Being a colony vessel, the Argyll crew and passengers did not have the same dilemmas nor the same type of people to work with. Without a doubt, that is where I would have wanted to be. Both the North and the South end up with aliens and a landscape that fits with the humans landing there. Any other option would have seen the humans from the Argyll killed and possibly the Lind of the Northern Continent in pretty bad shape as well. As a reader I am glad Ms. Rae chose as she did.

[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SCI-FI / Fantasy, 15 Jan. 2015
Steve.J (Glos. UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This series of books about humans telepathically joining with an alien species that resembles an earth-like wolf species (albeit much larger), is very reminscent of the Anne McCaffrey Dragon series and that is no bad thing, as the writing style of Candy Rae harks back to the early Anne McCaffrey style as well, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

If you enjoy the cross-over style of sci-fi / fantasy writing, then it is well worthwhile giving the first book in this series a go (especially as it is currently offered for free on Amazon). At times, it feels as though the book is written for young adults, with the violence and love interests toned down a bit, but a really entertaining read for all of that!!

At times I found it a bit irritating to keep track of the characters and the book suffered from a lack of editing / proof reading, which is often the case with Kindle published books, but I appreciate that new authors need to keep costs down in effort to get published, so I don't get too upset by minimal editing / proof reading as long as the story is engaging, which this one is.

I have bought the 2nd and 3rd books in the series and not been dissapointed in their entertainment value, so I can only say again, give this a go if you are looking for a new Sci-Fi / Fantasy author. I think i will be buying more in the series. I will not add any spoilers in the review as the product pages give a quick precis of the books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting concept mix of SF and fantasy, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed the ideas in this storyline, the well thought-out background of the Lind species and even the thought put into their language etc. If people enjoy the Anne McCaffrey Pern series I think they would find a kindred 'spirit' in this series. The Lind are an intelligent alien species who, refreshingly, are friendly and helpful to the newly stranded Earth refugees and enter into a symbiotic relationship benefiting both humans and the giant wolf-like Lind. As the years progress we learn more about the developing civilisation on the northern continent and the blending of both cultures. Eventually they will need to stand and fight together against the Lind's violent southern 'cousins',the Larg,- and the discovery that another Earth ship, a prison ship holding thousands of men with truly medieval and cruel intentions, also crashed on the southern continent and are turning envious eyes northwards...
The only quibble I have is purely geeky, in that I found the lack of thorough proof-reading at times intruded on my enjoyment. Spelling mistakes or even the wrong word use eg. 'rein/reign' etc can be quite distracting to a pedantic pain like me! Not that it spoilt my enjoyment enough to stop me going on to read the rest of the series and the continuing expansion of the Lind/human world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolves and War, 15 July 2013
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This book is very reminiscent of Anne McCaffrey's PERN series, but with differences. But just like the PERN series, this book dragged me into the story and made me want to be a "Child of the Wolves/Lind" too. I hold the PERN series very highly as they were the first books that led me into this genre so to be compared to them is a big compliment from me.

This book has a lot of detail in it and there is always something going on. The characters draw you into their lives and you are concerned about their welfare and pleased with their achievements. The planet is very well described and the Lind, as well as their enemies the Larg, even more so.

I love a book that makes me laugh out loud but a book that can make me cry is even better as it means that I have been completely enthralled. I was in tears for about 10% of this book (from about 79% onwards) and had to go back and re-read it.

This world and its characters are just too much for one book, although you could quite happily read this as a standalone. For me, I've just put the rest on my wishlist as they are too good to lose.

Definitely recommended to any PERN fans or fans of the fantasy genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars review of planet wolf (Entire series.), 12 Sept. 2012
Samuel Le Corre (Jersey C.I) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded the first one as it was free, having been pleasantly surprised by some of the free kindle books in the past. Since then I've bought and read the remainder of the series and I am exceedingly glad I chose to read them.

The series is different to many others in that the series is actually about the planet, and each book can skip 100+ years on the planet rather then all of the books following one set character. I found this a refreshing change in that I could almost treat every book as its own novel and since I read them over a fairly long space of time I didn't need to constantly try and keep track of what happened in previous books.
While some of the later books have their slow parts all of them shine by the end, each ending very well and leave you wanting more; often to try and find out about certain events that are mentioned in the book. These events tend to happen over the coarse of a few books and are very cleverly thought through twists.

The beginning and end to this series are both magnificent and the entire journey on planet wolf is exciting and refreshingly different from other Sci-Fi / fantasy books.

Well recommended :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wolves and War (planet Wolf 1) by Candy Rea, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I give Wolves and War Book one 4 Stars. First let me say this book makes a change from the norm, Wolves that have intelligence as the native species rather than humanoid type aliens that usually adorn this type of book, the author has built characters both human and wolves with their own personality and quirks, the story deals with two space craft that are struck by a cosmic storm and are forced to land on a planet, one ship contained convicts on their way to a penal planet who crash in the south of this planet, while the colonist ship crashes in the north. Both sides are befriended by wolves of one kind or another and a war starts between the north and south factions, I won't go into any more detail as i don't want to spoil it for you, there are one or two spelling mistakes in the book hence only 4 stars, This did not spoil the book but sometimes you have to read a line again to make sense of it, very well written and will read the next book without any hesitation

5.0 out of 5 stars I love science fiction/fantasy, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Ever read Anne Mcaffrey; the Pern books with dragons and survivors of spaceship mishaps? This series rivals those and I'm inclined to be a harsh critic. Wonderfully detailed and totally believable if you like the genre. I became so immersed I had to use eye drops as my heart wanted to keep reading but my eyes were so tired. I immediately downloaded the 2nd book and will start it as soon as I hit send on this review. Totally wrapped up in the plot now and the characters are my friends. I MUST know how they get on. Happy reading and I hope this review helps.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›