5.0 out of 5 stars wolves and war
If you like original ideas, good plots and a great page turning read, then this is for you!
I like sci-fi and I like fantasy, this has both in spades.
Could not put my kindle down!
Just about to buy the next in the series.
Get it, read it, enjoy it.

P.S. Have now read the whole series, and boy are they all as good as the first!
Enjoy,...
Published on 7 Feb 2012 by Kev Roberts

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, shame about the prose
I downloaded this book for free after reading the glowing reviews. However, I have to say I was disappointed in the quality of the writing. The story was engaging enough, but I intensely disliked the occasional comments alluding to significant events in the future, and found the dialogue very stilted and poorly written.

I did not enjoy this book enough to...
Published 21 months ago by LizJ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars wolves and war, 7 Feb 2012
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf) (Kindle Edition)
I like sci-fi and I like fantasy, this has both in spades.
Could not put my kindle down!
Just about to buy the next in the series.
Get it, read it, enjoy it.

P.S. Have now read the whole series, and boy are they all as good as the first!
Enjoy, Kev.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love wolves now!, 31 Dec 2011
R. Newth (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf) (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on recommendation from a friend, and I have to say that I was NOT disappointed. A great story, with some fantastic characters (both human and wolf), and some fantastic writing.

I'll try not to spoil the plot, but you can expect battles, nasty villains, loveable lead characters, and a very well thought-out world for the story to take place in, I hope we get to see more of it in the later books!

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice story, shame about the prose, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf) (Kindle Edition)

I did not enjoy this book enough to bother with the sequels, even if they were free. I do believe that if this author keeps polishing her skills, and perhaps can find a good editor to work with, she will produce interesting books in the future.

This book was classified as Science Fiction and Fantasy, but it should have been labelled as young adult fiction, in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Average, 16 Aug 2013
John Joseph O'Sullivan (Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf) (Kindle Edition)
Lacking something I don't know what an average read I didn't care enough about the characters to want to find out how the story ends

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 16 Mar 2013
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf) (Kindle Edition)
Ok - not a bad book but have not downloaded any more of the series as it has not "grabbed" me to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars utterly enthralling, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf) (Kindle Edition)
Just bought a kindle and downloaded a load of free books not expecting too much, but then I found this one. A fantastic story which should appeal to sci-fi and fantasy lovers alike. I started this 2 days ago and I could not put it down. I have just finished it and I will definitely be buying the further books in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and enjoyable Sci Fi (Fantasy), 4 April 2014
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf) (Kindle Edition)
Got this and really enjoyed it, so much that I read the rest of the series. This is pure escaspism fantasy but initially set in a Sci Fi world. It is nice to read a series which develops its world very well. Each book moves forward in time with new characters and as it progresses blurs the initial good versus evil lines. Well worth the time and money to read the whole series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Painful reminder of the costs of war, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf) (Kindle Edition)
At the outset I want to make you aware of the British English / Scottish English phrasing and spelling in "Wolves and War". NOT American English!!! Because of the sometimes young phrasing, I feel "Wolves and War" is meant for young adults and up. While harsh at times the violence is not descriptive. There is some romance, but it is about as innocent as romance can get. What you do need to remember (sort of a warning) is that "Wolves and War" is about war and war is anything but nice.

On to the fun stuff.

I really enjoyed "Wolves and War". At times I hurt because of the terrible changes to the lives of some of the women and children. War's nature is gruesome. I have NEVER experienced it myself and am speaking solely as one who reads and listens and watches. What amazes me time and again is what people are willing to put up with if the alternative is death. Often I have wondered why people choose to live rather than kill themselves when their lives become so miserable. Some of the lives on the Southern Continent end up being what I would call gruesome. Yet, somehow life is chosen. Why?

"Wolves and War" does not answer my why. In fact, it leaves me there with my questions. Ms. Rae has done a brilliant thing in doing that because I do not really want another person to answer all my whys. I don't even need there to be an answer to my whys.

"Wolves and War" is a space opera type of Science Fiction - character and world-building is more important than technology.

When the Argyll has to land on the Northern Continent the crew and settlers have to abandon ship before it sinks leaving them without most of their doodads (I know, an extremely technological term). Until war comes to the Northern Continent life is somewhat easier there than on the Southern Continent and the lack of metals is compensated by making tools with a metal-like hardwood. Necessity is the mother of invention even if that invention is a re-invention of old earth weapons. Their smith makes swords, shields, helmets, armour, crossbows and something he calls a contrap:

"... was able to fire pre-loaded arrows a fair distance and thirty at a time. The arrows were loaded into a wooded frame he called a magazine that was placed on the main frame of the contraption itself. The firing mechanism was spring-loaded and the magazine was drawn back and then loosed. Distance and trajectory could be altered by the manipulation of wheels and cogs."

All of this preparation would have been impossible without the Aboriginals of the planet of wolves. The Lind are great hulking beasts about the size of a horse but with the look of a wolf about them. They are furry, snouty and have paws. Somehow both the Lind and the Larg of the Southern Continent have developed telepathic abilities along with the ability to form words. The word thing made me think that their snouts must be formed differently from a wolf's.

What interested the Linds at first about the humans is how humans use their hands and the seeming connection some of the Lind have with some of the humans. Being able to communicate via mind and words is essential in making the humans believe that the Lind are sentient creatures.

Tara is the first human to meet a Lind. Kolyei is a Lind that feels a connection with Tara. Tara is not alone in this ability. On the Northern Continent Tara and Kolyei and Jim and Larya are the two vadeln pairs we get to know most. Tara is only 12 at the time she and Kolyei meet while Jim is in his 40's. Their Lind bond-person is pretty well matched age wise and this is a good thing as these bonds seem to be for life and so deep that one part does not wish to live if the other party dies. A lot of animal-human bond stories seem to have this as the down-side of bonding. On the up-side is an understanding of the other race's traits and language along with a deep sense of being loved unconditionally.

I enjoyed the way Ms. Rae tried to not sugar-coat anything for me as a reader. Granted, the fighting was not as gory as fighting really is, but it did not have to be for me to understand the costs of the war between the Southern and Northern Continents. She also did not try to hide the problems that would arise with 20,000 male prisoners escaping into an environment where females are on the run and only 300. When the leader of the prisoners is unscrupulous, well - things go as they pretty much have to go.

Being a colony vessel, the Argyll crew and passengers did not have the same dilemmas nor the same type of people to work with. Without a doubt, that is where I would have wanted to be. Both the North and the South end up with aliens and a landscape that fits with the humans landing there. Any other option would have seen the humans from the Argyll killed and possibly the Lind of the Northern Continent in pretty bad shape as well. As a reader I am glad Ms. Rae chose as she did.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf) (Kindle Edition)
I would reccommend this book to anyone willing to listen I could not put it down. I really need to get my hands on the next books!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read, 29 Jan 2014
SDA (Cornwall, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wolves and War (Planet Wolf) (Kindle Edition)
This is the first novel I have read from Candy Rae, and I enjoyed it. I love reading Science Fiction series, and this first book captures your imagination with sentient wolfs pairing up with humans to defend themselves. The story is complex with many characters and ideas, so it takes some time to get into the detail of the plot and key players. As a writer myself, I appreciate the difficulty of this task, and think the author has created a storyline that merits the whole series to be read. I now have started volume 2, and plan to read the whole series.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Wolves and War (Planet Wolf)
0.00