5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good!
Published on 16 April 2012 by Jojo

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, cheap build
Published 14 months ago by Sean Wills

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good!, 16 April 2012
This review is from: Blue Microphones Snowball iCE USB Cardioid Microphone with Adjustable Mic Stand (Electronics)
Just got my Snowball ice today, The only diffrence between this and the normal snowball is the no option for the omni-direction, But as i'll be recording solo which is Cardiod i wont need the other feature also good for voice overs ext, Also very good for recording instruments. Really easy to set up and use. The Sound is incredible it's HD and just supperb has a nice rich tone also note it's a condensor mic too if your not bothered about the other features which a Snowball has and your going to be recording only ever one person this is a great purchase and your saving your self $50 :)

I'd recommed buying a pop filter which are really cheap and help enhance your recording by removing Popping and harsh sounds. Also to keep your Mic's Diaphragm clean from plosives

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 20 Mar 2013
Brilliant mic, all I wanted was a high quality mic that would allow me to record good qaulity audio for my youtube videos and live streams and this does the job brilliantly

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent microphone., 29 July 2014
After owning this microphone for a while, i thought it would be worth a review.

Pros:

- Compact form factor. They've managed to fit an incredibly good condenser microphone and stand in a small box for a great price here. It fits excellently on my desk.

- Sound quality. After using both IM applications and also music production software, i've found the microphone can deal with both voice instruments very effectivley. Very good for acoustic instruments.

- Price. It may seem a bit expensive, but for the quality of the product it is worth it. Stellar build quality, great sound and a great size. All of these make it worth the full price.

Cons:

- The red light always being on is somewhat irritating, but thats how picky im having to be about con's for this microphone.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality, cheap build, 16 Sep 2013
I decided to upgrade from a cheap headset microphone for recording commentary and podcasting. In terms of the most important aspect- sound quality- the Blue Snowball delivers. Sound was far crisper and clearer than my headset mic and came through clearly without any need to lean in close to the mic, although I'm not sure what its max range is as I've been using it while sitting at my desk. It tends to pick up ambient noise very easily, although this is perhaps simply my inexperience with recording.

For the price I paid the actual build quality is rather disappointing. The main "ball" enclosure of the mic is hard plastic and feels nice and sturdy but the screw-on stand is very flimsy and seems like it could be prone to breaking. The band going around the middle of the ball looks like high quality brushed metal but is actually just a sticker that sits badly on the casing. Also, the supplied USB cable is very thick and unwieldy and takes up lots of space on my desk.

Still, sound quality is the important thing and this mic does what I need it to perfectly for amateur production. I'd recommend this as a cheaper alternative to the Blue Yeti for someone looking to buy their first high quality microphone for non-professional use.

5.0 out of 5 stars this has made me very happy :), 15 Jan 2014
I train people on marketing and have started using audio files and pod casts of useful marketing guides and tips and this microphone has imroved my presentation 1000% I am so please with it.
I would recommend this product very highly, I cannot believe it can get better than this...

5.0 out of 5 stars Bril product, 19 May 2012
Trevor Woolnough "book wormer" (Dudley, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Does what it says, used to record group discusions in a room. Picks up each individual as if microhone was directly in front of them with extreme clarity. Easy to use and set up on my windows 7 was so easy, literally plug and go. Well worth the price and looks good

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mic, 5 Star Quality., 22 Mar 2012
This microphone is easy to unbox, and the minute I plugged it in, it was working. My friend noticed the sound difference immediately, saying how good it was.
I recorded a few seconds to hear it for myself, and I must say, it's great.
I'm giving this a 5 Star review. It's worth the money, and i'd say it could be better than some of the other HD microphones which are worth much more. If you're looking for a microphone under £100, this is a great one to consider.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, 11 April 2014
This mic is good but the tripod is made out of plastic as the origional is made out of metal. Befor buing this product I would strongly suggest researching microphone's because if your like me then you will think that it comes with the same featchers as a blue snowball mic, it dosent. It does not have the switch on the back which changes it to front mic, the back mic and 360 degresse mic. If you want to see a full review of it then go here [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Jan 2013
I decided to upgrade from using my camera's built-in microphone and extracting the audio to buying an actual microphone, and figured in this price band I could expect them to be of fairly high quality. Unfortunately, it seems that the snowball ice is not really designed for singing - something I should have guessed upon seeing it is marketed mostly as a microphone for "Skype". Although it can record soft audio quite nicely, there is still a faint whistle in the background even when doing this. When attempting to sing big notes, however, it crackles horribly, as though it doesn't have the audio range to handle louder noises. This, of course, would not be a problem to anyone who wanted to record soft and loud separately; you could simply change the device's settings between doing each part. However, it makes a single recording of loud and soft in one song impossible. In order to get it to record the bigger notes whilst having the mic set up to pick up softer sounds as well, I have to have the mic positioned several feet from me, and have my head turned away from it whenever my voice is beginning to get loud. Not exactly ideal. In fact, this microphone is actually worse than the built in one on my camera as far as its range goes, although it has far less interference or static when quiet. Ultimately, I think I will have to record with both this and my camera simultaneously to get decent audio, which is a shame, because I thought this microphone would be up to the job of doing what a microphone is supposed to do. Definitely worth a buy if everything you do is softly-softly, but doesn't have the range to handle anything remotely operatic.

There is just one other point I wish to mention in the Ice's favour, however - There is a review on here which states the mic does not work on Windows 7 64 bit that has been marked as "helpful" by a lot of people. I have Windows 7 64 bit, and this device worked fine out the box for me. No downloads, no messing with my audio device settings, worked just as promised. I suspect this other reviewer may have just had a faulty product, so don't let being on Windows 7 64 bit put you off if you just want this mic for voice-overs, phone calls, or soft singing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Snowball ice, 11 Sep 2012
Great mic, excelent sound in HD. works great with all recording programs since camtasia to audacity and others. Recomend this mic!