Colour Name: White|Change

on 29 July 2014
After owning this microphone for a while, i thought it would be worth a review.

Pros:

- Compact form factor. They've managed to fit an incredibly good condenser microphone and stand in a small box for a great price here. It fits excellently on my desk.

- Sound quality. After using both IM applications and also music production software, i've found the microphone can deal with both voice instruments very effectivley. Very good for acoustic instruments.

- Price. It may seem a bit expensive, but for the quality of the product it is worth it. Stellar build quality, great sound and a great size. All of these make it worth the full price.

Cons:

- The red light always being on is somewhat irritating, but thats how picky im having to be about con's for this microphone.
22 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 April 2012
Just got my Snowball ice today, The only diffrence between this and the normal snowball is the no option for the omni-direction, But as i'll be recording solo which is Cardiod i wont need the other feature also good for voice overs ext, Also very good for recording instruments. Really easy to set up and use. The Sound is incredible it's HD and just supperb has a nice rich tone also note it's a condensor mic too if your not bothered about the other features which a Snowball has and your going to be recording only ever one person this is a great purchase and your saving your self $50 :)

I'd recommed buying a pop filter which are really cheap and help enhance your recording by removing Popping and harsh sounds. Also to keep your Mic's Diaphragm clean from plosives
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2013
Brilliant mic, all I wanted was a high quality mic that would allow me to record good qaulity audio for my youtube videos and live streams and this does the job brilliantly
55 comments|53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 February 2016
Quality is crystal clear and arouses a strange narcissism in me. Pretty much the same quality as even the best out there (probably including the Yeti) in that quite a lot of focus is required to pick up on the almost nonexistent differences
review image
on 15 January 2014
This is an absolutely easy microphone to set up, no trouble! It works with windows 8, just plug it in and it will detect it. The hand books are very helpful and easy to understand. You can adjust it up and down not side to side. If you're looking for a slightly better model that will last you longer than go for the normal Blue Snowball. The ice is made of plastic(The stand)but the normal one has a metal stand. It has a USB plug - in and will work with any computer and even for iPad! ***** quality
Excellent recording quality from this mic. Bigger and heavier than I expected. I expected it to be about the size of a golfball but it was more like a large orange and quite heavy and substantial too. Feels well made and quality appears very good. Plugged the USB into PC running Win8 and it was instantly recognised. Plugged it into MacOS and also no probs. True PnP. No drivers required.

If you are within 1 metre of this, voice quality is excellent with very little background noise. As you move further away obviously, it picks up more of the ambient noise too. But if it is sitting on your desk and you are recording voice the quality is superb.

excellent and quite querky I thought. I liked it - very much.
on 21 April 2014
This product is bordering on useless. Unless I'm within an inch of the microphone the volume of the recording is so quiet as to be unusable. Very disappointed. I did some research online to see if anyone else had similar issues, if there was a fix or if I'd missed something and it transpires it's a common problem with these mics and there was even a forum about it on the Blue website which they shut down. I tweeted the company with my problem and they didn't respond. Basically unless you're planning to record directly in front of the mic literally an inch or two away, save your money and put it towards a better quality mic.
on 12 April 2016
This has boosted the plays on my soundcloud, it's lit
review image
on 17 August 2015
I bought this because i wanted clear audio over videos. It surpassed my expectations. I started to look for this on other websites, to get it used and cheaper. I bought this on 'Prime Day'. And when I used it I realised that the quality that it delivers is definitely worth full price. The microphone is compact and small, it fits on my desk without it being too big or standing out too much. The colour is crisp, I know it sounds weird, but when you order a white Microphone, sometimes the white is beige, or slightly yellow. Perfect White. The cable is long enough for it to go under my desk and the back up again to plug into my laptop. The Plug-and-use is very helpful. Just plug in the USB and use it, no downloads, no hassle. The stand is a perfect height to sit down and record.

A Great Microphone!
on 5 June 2016
With all of the positive reviews that do not state the issues with this device, I thought I'd go ahead and give an opposite side of the argument. The Blue Snowball iCE microphone is a below average microphone, especially for a £50 price tag (on offer currently, so it is actually £43).

Pros:
The build quality is pretty decent. The stand is a little flimsy, but, overall, the quality is all right.
Microphone audio quality - for Skype calls, you could do much worse. However, the audio quality leads me onto the cons...

Cons:
The audio quality is grainy, and is extremely quiet. This means, when you try and boost the audio, the noise becomes really obvious. Noise removal has trouble with picking up the noise vs the voice. I was in multiple Skype calls with friends, and I had to use the Windows audio boost service at 100% so they could hear me at all.
The USB cable has two issues. One: There is no manual gain, meaning it all has to be done in post, leading to the above issue. Two: The internal USB female plug snapped on mine, so we had to bend the pins back into place (this means we can never unplug the USB in case it breaks again).

I would recommend buying a cheaper USB microphone, and then save up to buy an audio interface with a mic, which get you better quality, manual gain controls, multiple devices, live monitor, studio headphones, and more. I currently use a Scarlett Studio Pack, which is much better. An M-Audio device would also suffice. I might of recommended a Yeti, but if you are spending £100 then you should go full hog. By spending £40 more, you'd be able to buy a Scarlett/M-audio interface and microphone, which would not only allow you to have more XLR devices, but would give you better audio as well.

Avoid this microphone. I do not know who this is made for. For £25, you can get a perfect cheap microphone for Skype and Google Hangouts. For £60, you can get a cheap XLR (eg, the Behringer C-1) microphone with a USB adapter (to suffice). For £140, you can get a Scarlett Studio Pack with an interface and an extremely clear sounding XLR microphone. I don't know about above £140, but you get the idea. This microphone is bad for the money you pay.