Format: Audio CDChange

on 1 December 2011
this is superb. recorded in the waterfront hall in belfast on st patrick's night and featuring,in the main, songs from 'the tain' and 'the book of invasions' albums the orchestral arrangements seem to merely develop and expand upon upon what was already there so that it all works beautifully and naturally. this is no half-hearted affair, a few string arrangements being slapped on top of some old rock songs or anything along those lines. neither does the orchestra override or extinguish the original spirit of the music.this is an elegant and thoughtful project and what they have given us is a great cd. ok,so there might be the odd wobbly high note on the vocals but it must be remembered that this is the recording of a live radio broadcast which makes the whole thing even more impressive. the quality of the finished project is a tribute to the musical and songwriting skills of horslips and to work of the arranger and conductor brian byrne.
on 24 January 2012
I first heard this as it was being broadcast live on Radio Ulster on St. Patrick's night, and even a a fan of the band I have to admit that I was literally blown away by it.
The Táin, and The Book of Invasion albums by Horslips were made for Orchestral arrangement, and thirty years after their original releases they got it, and boy was it worth waiting for !!
The arrangements are spell-bindingly good and the band and orchestra fit almost seemlessly together, I could not recommend it more highly, and if you're a Horslips fan or have any interest, or liking, for Celtic rock this is an album you will love.
on 7 January 2014
An excellent mix of this great Irish folk / rock band and the Ulster orchestra. The The Book of Invasions: A Celtic Symphony Book of Invasions this bands seminal work has been reborn for future generations. The only question is why this never happened before. The tracks on this album were made for this orchestral arrangement, the vocals are not as good as the original but there is a mature edge to this recording and this version of 'King of the Fairies' is to die for.
on 1 November 2012
I have been a fan of Horslips ever since I bought The Tain on vinyl way back when.
I just bought this album a couple of weeks ago and it has hardly left my player. Listening to it I wouldn't suspect this was not the way these songs were originally meant to sound, with the orchestral arrangements fitting so nicely and appropriate, if I hadn't heard the earlier versions.
Of course the vocalists of Horslips are not the greatest in the world, but to me they actually sound better than when they were so much younger.
A sincere pleasure to listen to. I am very glad I bought it, although these days I don't buy many albums anymore.
on 29 January 2016
This is a wonderful musical fusion - I really don't know how they managed to get to this level of musical harmony in such a short time. It gives the wonderful musical legacy of Horslips a totally new, fascinating dimension. I loved it from start to finish!
on 12 January 2014
My OH is a huge Horslips fan so this was a total Christmas surprise for him. He has "squirelled" it away to his hoard of "goodies" so I take that as a sign that it was a welcome and valued present.
on 8 October 2015
Hooked on Horslips since i saw them supporting Steeleye Span back in the day! Great live album!
on 26 January 2015