Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 9 December 2011
OK I'm a fan, but I don't bother reviewing all the Koontz books, this one is a must have! exciting, engaging and with wonderful characters and a wonderful dog, I cannot put it down, just wanted a bit more of it!
VINE VOICEon 15 December 2011
WOW. Dean Koontz (when did he lose the 'R' in the middle of his name?) is on great form this time, and has delivered a fantastic novella. The characters are great, the story is intriguing, mysterious, scary even. The dark world Crispin and his siblings are thrown into is frightening, and his life since he escaped is difficult. I really felt for this little boy, completely alone and afraid, yet feisty enough to take on something much bigger and more evil than any of us realise. I hope Crispin will be in a whole series of books (like Odd Thomas), as I think there is so much more he could do. I just loved this book, and can't wait for 77 Shadow Street. I hope it will be as thrilling as the excerpt promises.
on 14 March 2012
best book read in a while did not want it to end i may be a bit biased as i am a huge fan of koontz having read all his printed books at least once but if you like books by mark billingham,karin slaughter or scott nicholson you wont be disapointed
Crispin is twelve years old. He lives rough in the city, always hiding from those who are looking for him. When he was nine years old he ran away from his rich European step father, his treacherous mother, his home tutor, his Japanese Nanny, the opulence, wealth and danger of the mansion in which he lived and from the memories of what happened to his younger brother and sister. Crispin still has unfinished business at the mansion, business that he can only finish when the cards tell him to.

This is an absolutely superb novella length (just under 2000 Kindle locations) story that gripped me from the opening page. Brilliantly plotted with two interleaved threads, one telling the tale of Crispin's survival living rough in the city and the other of the reasons why he ran away from home, this story gets scarier, darker and more terrifying the more you read.

Overall: 5 stars! Although this is clearly a teaser for Koontz's latest full length novel 77 Shadow Street, this is a totally stand alone story that I thoroughly enjoyed. It is dark, scary, and full of hidden menace. Although years ago I read a few of Koontz's early works, I haven't read any of his recent stories. This story was so good though that I will be reading more of his work again soon!
on 6 May 2013
Not sure about this mini novel. I'm afraid it did not capture me and I therefore ended reading it in small chunks. For this reason the suspense was lacking for me and I found the young child "Crispin" not very believable both in character and situation. I'm a Dean Koontz fan, however, this just wasn't for me.
on 7 December 2012
I love Dean Koontz's work and so I am rarely disappointed; and this was no exception. Beautifully and poignantly written with an empathetic style and a deep insight into his characters, my only problem was that by the time I was hooked on the characters and developing story-line it was all over.
on 30 June 2012
Another enjoyable novella from Dean Kootnz. Enjoyable read, much like most of Dean Kootnz books. Flows nicely for 77 Shadow Street (another good read!)
on 18 July 2013
I have never read any Dean Koontz books before but this certainly won't be the last. I was looking for something short as a distraction and came across this novella.
An immediate empathy with the characters is created and you are drawn whole heartedly into the story.
With some novellas you are left with a feeling of a story cut short and hurriedly finished. Not so with book, when I reached the end I felt that all of the book was building up to this conclusion rather than a story looking for an end.
on 4 May 2012
I actually liked this story. That's something I haven't said about anything Dean Koontz has written in a long time. It moves along at a good pace and while a the main characters are pretty much Koontz sterotypes he writes them well here. It made me want to read the novel that it was designed to promote 77 shadow street. Sadly for Mr Koontz I then read the reviews for the book. Don't think I will bother but I do recommend this one.
on 16 February 2014
This book switches back and forth between the present and the past with such frequency that it’s almost dizzying. The children don’t act like children. The story is boring until close to the end. Then just when it looks interesting—it’s over.

If this were the only book by Dean Koontz I’d ever read, I’d avoid future purchases of his work. However, I enjoyed “Velocity”, so I won’t lose hope.