5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent LED IPS monitor for the price
I bought this 23" monitor when my Dell 22" monitor bought in 2008 packed up. I chose it ahead of the Acer S240HLbid 24" because, although very slightly smaller, it has an IPS (rather than TN) screen and has good technical reviews elsewhere for its colour fidelity and value for money.

Published on 23 May 2012 by TR

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value but worth spending a bit more.
Published on 22 May 2012 by R. J. Mclaren

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent LED IPS monitor for the price, 23 May 2012
This review is from: ViewSonic VX2336S-LED 23 inch 1080p Full HD LED Display with Ultra-wide Viewing Angle (Personal Computers)

I'm very happy with it - images and text are crisp and the colours are bright and true. The black is jet black from edge to edge and there are no dead pixels. I can't compare it with other models or comment on specialised uses like graphic design or high-end gaming, but for general work, watching video content or photo-editing it seems great, and visibly better than my old 22" monitor, even if the styling isn't as classy.

Setup is extremely easy - you just plonk it on the stand, connect the leads and plug it in. It came with both DVI and VGA cables.

One warning: at the time of writing it is not being sold by Amazon itself and the best third-party price on Amazon.co.uk is 25 quid more than I paid for it last week. I paid 111 pounds inc VAT.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value but worth spending a bit more., 22 May 2012
R. J. Mclaren - See all my reviews
This IPS monitor reproduces colours very nicely and it was great value when I bought it for c. £111 from Amazon. It was fine for playing Skyrim too, no lag at all and no ghosting that I could see. However my monitor had fairly nasty backlight bleed and strong purplish tones to the blacks in the bottom corners and I had to send it back. I might have taken a chance on a replacement but none were available at the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value monitor, 29 May 2012
I've had a 19" TN panel HP monitor for about 5 years and thought it was time to upgrade. I'm into photo editing and IPS panels are the way to go but they've always been expensive until recently, when several under £150 appeared. A read up on the qualities of each led me to the Viewsonic VX2336S LED, as this was the one with the most accurate colour out of the box. Knowing how tricky it is to get accurate colours, this forced my decision and VX2336S it was.

I've now had this 23" IPS monitor for a whole day and a half, but that's long enough for me to have put it through its paces, and yes it's just what I hoped for. If you just want a monitor that hits the sRGB colour space real close, images look great with deep blacks (it makes my old HP look pathetic, I doubt you'll find anything better image-wise for 3 times the price. It's better than a friend's 2yr old £300 NEC. High quality images can look very impressive.

The stand just swivels - quite well actually, but a bit bouncy - it's good enough though. Menus are easy. The monitor looks OK, a mix of glossy and matt black plastic. The standard 'NATIVE' colour setting is fine, I think I've found a slight improvement by going to 'USER COLOR' and basically mainly turning red down a touch, Viewsonic themselves say that NATIVE has slight extra red. Greys look naturally grey, no colour casts evident. I'm not into video, but it looks fine to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best deal for the Price, 20 April 2012
I had been looking for an LED IPS screen and this deal popped up considerably cheaper than any other I could find and I've not been disappointed. An excellent screen at an excellent price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic budget IPS panel, 15 Aug. 2012
I've spent ages looking for a decent budget IPS panel for photo editing, i obviously needed something where colour reproduction was good and had a good handle on the sRGB colour space. Well i'm happy to say this fits the bill perfectly. The IPS panel is really amazing quality for this pricepoint and the parts that have been skimped on to keep the price down were really not of any concern to me. No speakers but these were not needed, in fact i was happy to not have to pay for them and the stand is very basic. Having said that i've got it mounted on a 100mm VESA stand and again the inferior stand is now of no consequence.

The 23 inch screen is a dream when working in applications such as adobe lightroom so in short i love it! If you're looking for a budget IPS monitor and really want all your budget to go towards the actual panel quality then this is the monitor for you.

Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality. Good clear picture., 29 Jan. 2014
A. Talbot (UK) - See all my reviews
Really good monitor at a bargain price. IPS gives really good quality image. haven't noticed any light bleed around the edge.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than my 15.6" laptop, 5 April 2013
This is certainly easier to look at that my old laptop, both size wise and for the anti glare. I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars desktop monitor, 30 Jan. 2013
excellent , the best budget monitor money can buy, having changed from a samsung syuc that i paid £200 some 4 years ago to this one at £175 i am over the moon, the clarity of the screen is equal to my ipad 3 and thats saying something, some reviews state that it is not very stable and cannot tilt, load of rubbish !!! plus no speakers or hdmi, so what, i have a separate speaker system and as i am not a film buff hdmi is not a issue, but i do use hdmi on all TV separates .
I think the price is gone up again because it has become popular but i still think its worth the money, 23ins of pure pleasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colours Outstanding but some backlight bleed, 27 Jan. 2013
P. Wood - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful monitor to behold. Vibrant colours make games and documentaries (like Life, Blue Planet, etc) look better than ever before.

Downsides are that my unit suffered from backlight bleed in the bottom left hand corner and poor black levels, I thought I was just unlucky, so asked for a replacement. When that turned out to be even worse I decided I could live with the issues of the first given the great price of just over £110.

Connections are very limited but I use a DVI to HDMI cable, occasionally this loses signal but that could be the cable and is usually fixed with a gentle wiggle.

Really very good colour reproduction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor, 23 Nov. 2012
An outstanding product - it exceeded my expectation in every department.
Brilliant, sharp images with fantastic contrast.
You will not be disappointed if you buy it - highly recommended.