5.0 out of 5 stars the stuff of nightmares
Published on 27 Feb 2005 by barbaraann1981

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality of transfer to blu ray not amazing
Its one of my all time favourite cheesy horror/comedy films and was thinking the quality on blu ray would enhance this film more, it does in parts but not all the way through, quite grainy picture in dark scenes but delivery fast and packaged well
Published 18 months ago by Paul R

5.0 out of 5 stars the stuff of nightmares, 27 Feb 2005
This review is from: Child's Play [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
This is an excellent film and a must see for any horror buff. I first saw this film (without the knowledge of my parents) when I was nine, and ever since I listened if they told me I was too young too watch anything. It terrified me beyond belief, and even as an adult (23) it still gives me nightmares. The concept is nothing short of genius, that an innocent little doll could possibly become 'alive' and be capable of murdering numerous people is chilling. This is a fantastic buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality Movie, 26 Dec 2004
This review is from: Child's Play [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
This movie was made nearly 17 years ago and still manages to make me jump. The idea of having a serial killer come back to life in the body of a doll is great. Even the knife wielding antics of Chucky (The Doll) are excellent. The special effects are quite good for their time and strangely enough are quite believeable. Just dont turn the lights off and watch this movie or you will be looking over your shoulder for days watching out for your teddy bear with a knife in its hand. All in all the movie is fantastic. Just a pity all the sequels were not as good as the original although I havnt seen "Seed of Chucky" yet. ENJOY....

5.0 out of 5 stars Chucky, 4 Nov 2005
This review is from: Child's Play [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
I'm a die-hard fan of the legend of Chucky.This is one of my favourite films in existence. Disturbingly horrific- I watched this film as a child, and even then I was compelled by it.
This film is the kind that will have you question exactly what your dolls do when you aren't around. Even if you 'know' dolls cant really kill. This film will make you think twice.
Definitely worth investing in.

4.0 out of 5 stars WANNA PLAY?, 18 Aug 2006
sean paul mccann "mccanns23" (ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Child's Play [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
Childs Play is a 1988 movie that is infamous for its effect on society with regards to copy cat killers and influence on the young mind and so forth and is regarded as a cult classic on that basis.It is at the same time a film that is enjoyable and although nowhere near as gory as some critics have cried,is a film that is the stuff of nightmares,surely none of us as children would have wanted our favourite toy to come alive and try and harm us,or would you?

The story revolves around a fictional toy called the good guy doll which is the toy of christmas and all the guys want it,at the same time a killer called charles lee ray is meeting his maker and he knows voodoo so he puts his spirit into a good guy doll and then dies.Meanwhile a little boy called andy gets a good guy doll but is the doll all that it seems.

This is a film that certainly never meant to create the negative press it is alledged to have created,although surely that helped interest in the film,but as a fun film this is on the money,worth a watch,but maybe not for the kids after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars great blu ray of a classic horror movie, 12 Feb 2012
Well it's been years since I have seen Child's Play, but this is a fantastic transfer of a great, classic horror movie.

Great special features and great disc overall makes this a must have for any horror fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childs Play blu ray, 20 April 2011
Fast delivery, the blu ray disc is multi region and I havent seen this blu ray anywhere in the UK.A MUST BUY for Chucky fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heidi-ho ha-ha-ha!, 21 Jun 2006
Love Halloween! "Happy to haunt" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Child's Play [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
Chucky in the beginning of his career as mass murderer was, it has to be said, much more scary than in his last few outings.

Killer dolls has been done before but it was Brad Dourif who managed to give Chucky a killer personality almost as big as the killers ego.

The criminal, in the body of a doll, being brought home in a box to a young boy who's only christmas wish was to have a Good Guy doll. Magic.

Except there's one big problem, he wants out of the doll's body in order to start again, because Andy the young boy is the first person he tells his secret too he has to be the one who's body is sacrificed.

The young Andy is quite properly terrified, his Good Guy doll moves without batteries and the name on the box is not his dollies name, he whispers, tells Andy things and his mum thinks he's making it up.

One dead babysitter later and the possibility of living plastic doesn't seem too far fetched, not when confronted with the fact it was either that, or your son that had commited murder.

I love the movie. I have watched many times and still feel Chucky in his first movie had the power to give people the chills.

I know there was a doll clear out when it was first played in our house!

Would recommend to fans of Puppetmaster especially.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious!!, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Child's Play [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
Shamelessly i've only just watched this for the first time ever and found it to be a brilliantly entertaining film.
Purposely hilarious at times this is great entertainment and never takes itself too seriously. I never thought i'd enjoy a film about an evil, murderous doll but you live and learn.
The effects are really clever too - remember this is before CGI - so when you see Chucky run it looks fantastic. Ok so it might be a child/midget in a suit on an enlarged set with enlarged furniture but old school in this case works.
I can't imagine how they'll better this when the remake appears.

5.0 out of 5 stars The First of the Chuckie Films, 30 Mar 2007
David P. "A Reviewer" (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Child's Play [DVD] [1988] (DVD)
I only recently watched this film. I've seen all 5 of the Chuckie films and own them on DVD. The last two I didn't think were that great, but the first three I think are brilliant.

This film has an interesting storyline, and I think that the idea of a serial killer pocessing a doll is great. Also I feel that the director of this film made a good decision by choosing Brad Dourif to voice Chucky, as I think that his voice blends in well with Chuckie, and makes him more of a funny character.

Okay Chuckie is evil, yet there are moments in the Chuckie films where he makes me laugh, such as the scene in the second film, where he buries a good guy doll. The way he laughs at that moment and the way he looks at the same time, I find quite funny. I found it clever how they chose the name Charles Lee Ray, which is Chucky's real name.

They got the name Charles from CHARLES Manson, Lee from Harry LEE Oswarld and Ray from James Earl RAY. A basic combination of those three names.

This film starts of in the early hours of the morning, with Charles Lee Ray. He is chased by a cop, who follows Charles into a toy shop. There Charles is shot and fatally wounded. To avoid death Charles gets his hands on a good guy doll and mutters a voodoo chant, transfering his soul into the good guy doll.

Later that morning, a woman buys that doll as a present for her son Andy's 6th birthday. Charles in that doll, calls himself Chuckie. That evening, Andy's babysitter is pushed through the window, and Andy claims that Chuckie did it.

Soon Chuckie is shot and to his surprise feels pain and actually bleeds. He learns from an old friend of his, who taught him the voodoo chant that he's becoming human again, and to get out of the good guy doll, he needs to transfer his soul into the body of the first person he revealed his secret to; which was his true identity. And that person is Andy.

It is then when Chuckie attmpts to do so and the only people who can save Andy is his mother and the very cop who shot him at the start of the film.

This is a great film that musn't be missed. If you do enjoy wacthing this film, then watch the others. You won't be disapointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic comical horror..., 16 Mar 2000
This review is from: child's play (vhs pal) (VHS Tape)
Infamous but very humouress film about a doll with a mean spirit. Charles Lee Ray is pursued by police but gets shot, realising he is dying he uses voodoo techniques to transport his soul into a 'Good Guy' doll and the fun begins... Curiously however CHILD'S PLAY 2 + 3 were withdrawn from video after the tragedy of James Bulger in 1993, but it is not proven that the killers saw these films or became influenced, therefore it is hard to imagine these comic films being banned.

Child's Play [Blu-ray] [1988] [Region Free]
Child's Play [Blu-ray] [1988] [Region Free] by Tom Holland (Blu-ray - 2012)