5.0 out of 5 stars Great little bright light
I've recently gotten back into cycling again, timed perfectly for the darker Autumn/Winter/Spring months. As a result I needed a good bike light. Not a little piddly white thing that does nothing to illuminate your path and barely makes itself known to oncoming traffic, but a light that shows you the path whilst announcing "HERE I AM" to anything coming your way...
Published 17 months ago by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but it's worth checking the alternatives
I've used this for a few weeks now and it's an improvement on my old light in some areas, but not in others. At this price I'd expect it to have addressed a few more things

PROS
(+) It's much brighter than my old light
(+) The USB charge facility is useful
(+) The best tool-free fitting of any light I've bought

CONS
(-) The...
Published 2 months ago by Colin_M

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little bright light, 3 Nov 2012
Chris (Dorset, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black (Sports)

My solution was the Nano-shot. The price was very reasonable as I think the line has been updated now, dropping the original down in value whilst the new models fetch a premium.

The handlebar attachment is a breeze to fit and should fit pretty much any shape and size handlebars. Once on, it's very good for keeping it's position and not falling around. The quick release for the torch is also very smooth, which is a bonus.

The torch has 3 modes, BRIGHT, slightly less bright, and epilepsy inducing flash-mode. Run time is only 1.5 hours for the brightest mode, but if you're commuting like I do, 1.5 hours is easily enough to get to work and then home again in the evening on one charge. If it isn't, it's USB chargeable, meaning you can charge the torch at the office! Don't worry about the charge cycle life, as the battery is replaceable too!

The low-power less-bright mode is still quite bright, much brighter than many other torches highest-power settings, and it doubles the battery life too. The flashing mode i've avoided, as the torch is that bright I feel having it flashing on and off in the eyes of oncoming traffic is asking for trouble.

The only critique I have is that the unit gets a bit warm on the highest power setting after a while. I imagine this is normal for anything so bright and high-power, but it is a little unsettling. Give it a month or two though and I'll probably be greatful for the added "hand warmer" function!

Overall, if you need a bright light to actually navigate by at night, I can't recommend this enough. I don't see the point in getting anything brighter/more expensive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb bright light for the rural cyclist, 15 Nov 2012
This review is from: Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black (Sports)
I have been cycling to a rural train station for around 10 years now, and this is by far the brightest light I have had.

It is small, and clips and unclips easily from the bike - so is very convenient for commuters.

What I especially like about the light are the re-chargebale battery's, which can be charged using a USB connection - very convenient and no messing around taking the light apart to remove the batteries.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 27 Dec 2012
This review is from: Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black (Sports)
Great product, really powerful - lights up the road on my cycle to work on dark country road which is totally unlit. No more cycling into potholes which I couldn't previously see!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and long lasting, 16 April 2013
I bought this compared to the more powerful 600 lumen as it was half price
This is more than sufficient in terms of brightness. Seems to last also. I used this light during winter time (london) and doaily use was for 45 minutes and the light lasted well past 10 days before i recharged it. Well does get a bit dimmer if not sharged every so often
Have no copmplaints so far. Would recommend it

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but it's worth checking the alternatives, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black (Sports)

PROS
(+) It's much brighter than my old light
(+) The USB charge facility is useful
(+) The best tool-free fitting of any light I've bought

CONS
(-) The control is so stiff I often knock the light out of alignment when trying to change settings
(-) The button to unclip the light can take some finding when you're wearing gloves.
(-) The difference between full & reduced power is very slight
(-) It uses a single LED. My previous one had 3 (so possibly some insurance if one fails)
(-) There's no side illumination to improve visibility to other road users

One final point, they quote the number of times you can expect to be able to recharge the battery. The battery appears to be replaceable and if you need one the part# is CA5336890. As at the start of 2014 this was available for 25-30.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!!!, 3 Aug 2013
This review is from: Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black (Sports)
Having always used battery cycle lights, I decided to invest in a rechargable unit instead. I noticed some of these items were extremely expensive and suspected that my choice of Cateye Nano Shot RC at under 50 would be a bit of a disappointment especially when it arrived and I saw just how small the unit itself was. My first cycle to work in the dark (I'm a shift worker) put to rest any missgivings I may have had straight away. This little thing's about three times brighter than my old light which was, itself an adequate piece of kit. My only gripe is that I think Cateye should include a charger and not just the cable.
I'd certainly recommend this light for commuting and night training rides.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, 11 Jun 2013
Mr. K. A. Treacy "lessismore" (Leamington Spa, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black (Sports)
Probably too powerful, but that's a minor quibble. A good light with an integral battery. I was determined to buy a lamp without having to take the batteries out every few days for recharge. Am happy with this even though it was more than I wanted to pay for a front lamp.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great light for its size, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black (Sports)
This is a great light for riding in town at night. Far brighter than most town cyclists will have. On a dark trail it is great too.

I run it in flash mode along with a Philips SafeRide LED light (which is brighter still but bigger, heavier and no flash mode).

However it may be worth getting the plus for a little more money if you want flashing and a small form factor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blindin', 17 Mar 2014
This review is from: Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black (Sports)
Great lamp. Its light enough and small enough to carry in a pocket. Battery life is good. Recommended to all.

4.0 out of 5 stars good light, poor battery, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Cateye Nano Shot RC Front Bike Light - Black (Sports)
This provides good light on dark streets. I would recommend it, however I do have a backup light as the battery life isn't great

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›