on 13 April 2014
This book is a great way to introduce yourself to the world of Android programming! It covers everything that one needs to know about downloading Eclipse (software used to develop your apps), writing apps with Java code and adding extra features. With this book, I have quickly learned how to create apps with graphical, textual and mathematical components.

I must admit, it is difficult to follow if you are a beginner and it I would recommend it for those that have learned the basics of Java or even, any programming language at all and want to apply their knowledge to create apps. The author's instructions are clear (and humorous, at times) with detailed step by step instructions for every aspect of app development.

I have had some experience with programming before and now I am creating apps which I hope to publish in the Android market very soon. This book brought me into the world of Android very well, and I am happy that I purchased it.

However, I have found it a little annoying that he dedicated a full mini-book to creating apps with other methods, rather than sticking to what he wrote about for the entire book. He could have also included how to code other features, such as video or time.

Overall, I am very pleased with this great slab of a book and I encourage anyone who wishes to start developing apps to read this book.
on 10 November 2014
Although the first few chapters are out of date, an installation tutorial is easy enough to find online. Once you get into the actual content, although it isn't always the best and the greatest way to do something, it always works, and is a very sensible high quality learning aid.

I still use it, and combined with stackoverflow is a fantastic tool.

Please note: It says prior java knowledge is required, but I had no java knowledge and got through fine (however I believe knowledge of a programming language with some object orientation is essential).
on 18 June 2014
I like this range of books. I've read, and reread parts of, this book and I'm now writing an app for a real life work project so it must have done some good. I could write in Java before I started and that helped a lot too,
on 9 July 2015
I like Dummies books in general but I had severe problems with this one. The examples in the book rarely matched what appeared in Eclipse and in some case using the sample code exactly produced a whole slew of errors. If it had not been for help from www.stackoverflow.com I would never have got through the first few chapters.
on 4 March 2015
One of the good introductions to Android development. The book is well structured. It gives you the basic background you need to get started
reasonably quickly. It's is also a nice reference.
on 7 June 2013
highly recommend this book it is a great way to learn about android and how to program apps.

the use of humor keeps you interested and the way everything is explained makes it a joy and very easy to follow.
on 26 February 2015
excellent product, fast shipping
on 7 February 2016
Great stuff
on 20 March 2014
Was bought as present for someone who was very pleased to receive it. The book is exactly what it says it is!
on 6 November 2013
Unfortunately unable to download to PC therefore low rating. This is rather expensive for something that is not readable at all.