Format: Kindle Edition|Change

This is a tale that I could identify with, as I have a son not that much younger than the leads in it. It is funny, it is hip, with every pop culture going, it's full of youtube, vid-making, drinking, partying, being involved in cult stuff, wacky song-writing, and in amongst all of that, are some great friendships.

The tale starts with Bailey exorcising her ex-boyfriend, Craig, who's just dumped her, with her 3 male friends offering booze, wisecracks, comments about Craig's lack of sexual prowess, pizza, support and writing a slag-off-Craig song, which was really very funny and witty. They're a bunch of guys who met at uni mostly, and just clicked, and a few years on, one's a medic type, Bailey's a cake-maker/wedding-y planner type, and the other two guys spend their time making music and paranormal vids they upload to youtube, and they are gaining a fanclub and cult status. It was pop to the extreme, without verging on overkill.

It was seriously funny, wacky, without rhyme or reason, and ultimately, Bailey finds a more lasting love born of one of the friendships. It avoids being OTT and cliche'd and tiresome, by the author's great skills with dialogue, funny bits and with just about everything that is synonymous with today's youth. And even though I am old enough to be the leads' mum, I really, really enjoyed it.
on 12 June 2013
This was a fun quick read that took about an hour to finish, and it was great fun to slip away in Bailey's troublesome life for an hour and laugh along at her and her roommate's antics.

Bailey's relationship with her roommates was so much fun, and the way in which Lucy Morgan wrote the interactions between the three of them was superbly done. I felt she perfectly depicted the type of relationship a girl would have with her two male roommates, with the harmless and not at all serious flirting as the boys exit the shower wearing only a towel to protect their modesty, and in turn the serious protectiveness the boys feel towards her well-being, and their desire to hurt anyone who has hurt her. This was heartwarming to read, and I laughed out loud at some of the embarrassing discussions that the boys managed to lure Bailey into.

However, there were a few issues that made me rate this book a little lower than I would have liked to. I know that this was only meant to be a short story, but I felt that in order to lower the word count, some of the backstory to the characters wasn't given the attention it needed. You have to be so careful with shorter stories because the time-frames can seem really rushed, which I felt was the case in the development of Bailey and Linc's relationship. Not knowing anything about Linc's other than that he is good friends with Bailey's roommate Olly and hangs out with them. I would like to have been given a little more information about Linc that explained just how close he and Bailey were as friends, and whether they did in fact ever spend any time together alone before the time-frame of the novel. However, I thought the decision to skip four months was an excellent device which allowed us to see from Bailey's monologue that her and Linc's relationship wasn't all sunshine and daisies when they first got together. I would have preferred to see a longer story which included these moments in the present tense, rather than just having them thrown in as an afterthought because I would have loved to have seen how Bailey's confidence developed from the end of her relationship with Craig and the beginning of her relationship with Linc.

Overall though, this was a fun read that had me laughing and awwing in equal measure. 3.5 - 4 stars.
on 3 October 2012
i really enjoyed reading this, made me laugh, especially when they get together and discuss the boyfriend. You gotta read it to see it would recommend this one for sure Beautiful Mess
This is a short story that is full of laughter and love - and that's just from her roommates. Told from Bailey's point of view, it starts off by counting down the very minutes since she got dumped by her boyfriend. Bring on some pizza and beer and you have Bailey confessing some things that she really doesn't want to tell them. Let the fun commence. Apparently the humour is very British. Being British I don't see that but it definitely did make me laugh.

This story does have swearing in it but, to be fair, what they called Craig I completely agreed with ;) This is a 'young' book that is full of giggles and wonderful quotes! Everyone should have friends like Tom and Olly and everyone deserves their very own Linc.

We thought you'd been eaten by the gnomes of self pity." "There are gnomes of self pity?" "Mmph." He chomped pepperoni. "They ride on owls of despair.

on 17 March 2013
I download a lot of free kindle books as I think they are a great way of vetting previously unread authors. Most of the free erotica books are badly written, and as I am a bit of a fussy reader, I usually end up deleting them after the first paragraph. I wasn't really expecting much more from this one so it came as a really nice surprise to find I was wrong. To get the negative comment out of the way first, I do think that it is aimed at people younger than myself...and that's it.
The positives are: For an erotic story, it is very well written. The characters, although not the type I usually enjoy reading about, are interesting. The storyline moves forward at a very enjoyable pace, and it was lovely to read a story that has subtle humour woven throughout.
I would not have been disappointed if I'd paid for this book, and I will be looking out for more of this authors work in the future.
on 14 September 2012
The characters and storyline feel plausable and it's witty and cleverly put together. The lead character feels real, making it easy to identify with her emotional turmoil. Equally, the erotica is evokative, making the blood race a little faster!
on 30 March 2012
Bailey Frost has a recipe for disaster: one cheating ex, one big glass of liquor, and three well-meaning male friends who think her lack of a sex life is funny. Before she knows it, she's confessed that she's never had an orgasm with a man.

Now Bailey has to navigate sappy couples at work, while her friends are hell-bent on helping her get revenge on evil Craig...by dressing up as werewolves, on YouTube.

And one of those friends-- the tall, shy-but-gorgeous Linc--might just want to help Bailey with that other little problem...

The above says it all.

A well written novella. Makes me wanna check out what else the author has written.
on 19 January 2014
I can understand those who say that this is "not their thing" - we all have different tastes. I can also understand those who think it was too short, but I fundamentally disagree. It could have had a bit more about the minor characters, but the main characters are well defined. This could never have worked as a novel or even a novella - its a short story. It's also very well written, extremely funny, and quite hot too. I've read it 3 times - which is something I only do with stories I really like - and found new (laugh out loud) nuances every time. A gem - and free. Who could ask for more from a short story? Not me!
on 9 March 2014
super cute! is how best to describe this!
Bailey is dumped, and her best buddies decide to cheer her up, in true mates style, and write a werewolf ditty describing the ex's sexual prowess, or lack there of!
But Linc, the quiet one, he is the one to watch out for!

hilariously laugh out loud funny, with great one liners from all the main players, this free book really is a must. its only short, 55 pages, but still, I would recommend it, just to pass an hour away! im not normally one for funny books, but this was recommended to me, and I loved it!
on 2 June 2013
First off- this story is very short. I'm not sure if it even counts as a novel or novella. For this reason it seems as though the writer has tried to cram a lot in to it.
Also unfortunately because of the length I found it difficult to build any type of sympathy to the characters. The ones I liked the most were the rats!
What is even worse is that the basic story line has the possibility of being a good full length novel if only a little more work had been put in to it.