5.0 out of 5 stars Boosts WiFi signal - Easy to install for a beginner
I had just bought an I Pad but could not get a good signal upstairs in our house. We do not have a particularly large house, but signal strength for our WiFi was never very good. I have Sky Broadband, router is at least 5 years old.

Published on 8 Sep 2012 by M. Bolton

1.0 out of 5 stars It does not work
I followed the installation instructions carefully but they did not relate to my Windows XP displays. Used information given in Amazon reviews on this product but I could not get it to work and I cannot get a refund! Beware, it is most likely the instructions are not accurate enough.
Published on 19 Sep 2012 by johnTF10

5.0 out of 5 stars Boosts WiFi signal - Easy to install for a beginner, 8 Sep 2012
M. Bolton "MR. B" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: WiFi Repeater Access Point up to 300 / 150 / 54 Mbps WLAN wireless amplifier for the socket including LAN connection , for 802.11 b / g / n standards with UK Plug

I am not very technologically minded - I would call myself a beginner and usually have to Google anything more complicated than e-mail.

I found it frustrating that all the reviews for this and similar products seemed to be written by tech guys and I could not even tell if this product did what I waned it to - give me a WiFi signal in areas of the house that didn't have one.

I even went to Maplin, as the product descriptions for most things on Amazon are very poor. The guy in the shop tried to sell me something at £90 and said it was the best value for what I needed - still no wiser to what it did. I decided at the price for this product, if it didn't work, I could return it.

I agree with other reviews, the instructions ae a bit tricky to follow for a beginner, and are in slightly broken english, but read through them a few times and if you have a basic understanding of your own computer Control Panel menu (from the Start Button, bottom left) it does seem to be pretty straight forward. The instructions are in a very small typeface, so if you do have sight issues like some other reviewers, you might struggle.

The package is easy to open and contains the unit, a seperate plug so it can go in the wall (comes with both European and UK, which is why it is a seperate part), a wire to connect to your computer for the initial set up, and instructions.

The set up process for me was:

1) Open packet, snap on the UK plug socket, read the instructions a few times, plug it in to the wall. The unit does just plug in to a normal electrical wall socket. No wires required. Plugged it in in my bedroom, the room that has no WiFi signal normally - my router is still downstairs in another room. Switch on my laptop.

2) The device needs to be configured, instructions say this can be done with the connecting wire (recommended by them) or wirelessly. I tried without the wire.

3) Follow the step by step instructions - there are pictures which help follow these steps.

4) The instuctions state that the IP address must be set manually - the instructions give the three default addresses the device uses - just a chain of numbers that have to go in to three relevant boxes (there is a picture in the instructions). One number has an 'x' at the end, meaning you can use any figure - don't know what this means so used 1, as this was the devices default - let's see what happens

5) You then type in an address to your web browser which takes you to a set up wizard - I initially thought this might be a problem as I do not have a wifi signal, so couldn't figure out how will the web browser work, but it did.

6) Follow the wizard instructions, which are also step by step in the instruction manual, with pictures. Basically it finds your wifi signal, asks for your wifi passcode and then connects to your signal.

7) I now have a wifi signal all over my house, even in rooms I didn't before, and the internet is much quicker than before in all rooms and on all my devices.

8) Checked my Ipad and smart phone - where as before I connected to my Sky network, when I searchfor WiFi my devices now find a second network called WIFI Repeater 1, much better signal, but still my Sky connection. It has just boosted the signal.

Still need a password to connect to the Repeater, so it is secure and my neighbours can't steal my signal - password is the same as my original router.

Sorry for the very basic review - I have tried to write the review I was looking for - what does this product do, does it work and is it easy to install?

From the postman ringing my doorbell to getting connected was about 15 mins. Good product and easy to use - really no wires required, just plugs in the wall and boosts your signal.

17/06/2013 - just as an update (and to correct my poor spelling and grammar). It still works! I have it plugged in to the wall permanently, but only switch it on when needed, you can switch it off or even unplug when not in use. I have unplugged it and moved to another room, and it still works. You only need to set up once - no need to sign in each time. It is just like having another router without having 2 broadband subscriptions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works a treat IF you can navigate the instructions!, 22 Jan 2012
I bought this because upstairs laptops were not reaching the downstairs wireless printer. Amazon Prime delivered the next day.
The set up instructions leave a LOT to be desired and do assume a great deal of prior knowledge about your computer's TCP/IP settings. They can look quite daunting and do not necessarily match the windows on your computer. But, if you can navigate and find your way, it does work.
The big issue with these instructions is manually changing your computer's TCP/IP settings - but it doesn't tell you how to revert back afterwards.
Am giving this a 4 star because the end result is great. All my upstairs devices now have full strength signals - and it was a pretty good price. But the install instructions leave a lot to be desired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast set up, simple to use..., 3 May 2012
B. Gillott (S.Wales) - See all my reviews
Easy set up process without even the need to install any software. The repeater picks up the wireless signal and repeats the wireless signal or connect via cable. Have thick walls in my house so had rooms where NO wireless signal was available at all. Since installing this repeater we now have FULL wireless signals in those areas, fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected, 23 Feb 2012
Peter Finlay (UK) - See all my reviews
Important to follow the setup instructions but once done, it works a treat.
Relays the WiFi very effectively with good signal strength.

1.0 out of 5 stars It does not work, 19 Sep 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless !, 27 Jan 2013
Most useless piece of equipment ever. Difficult instructions, an doesn't work.
I brought in a local expert too. Still nothing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm ...., 12 Oct 2012
I ordered this on the back of the other reviewers comments.

Being slightly tech-aware I thought I could get this to work.

When I finally got it working the wireless repeated signal kept dropping out from the devices I attempted to connect to it

The Set-up instructions are easy to follow (although the odd "press OK" wouldn't go amiss), even if they are rather small.

Don't get me wrong my devices could see the repeater - they just couldn't connect to it (Re-setting, disconnecting etc all failed to produce the desired result)

Unfortunately I will be investing in a more expensive and trustworthy branded item if I attempt this repeater/extender lark again.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the job very well, 14 Aug 2012
this router arrived very quickly and it took me about 15 mins to get it working. the instructions are a bit over elaborate but you do need to follow them. just remember there are two stages, one connect to the router from your laptop, and two connect the router to your base station wifi router. I got it for my bedroom as the reception there was very weak on my iPad3 (much worse than on the iPad1) - it works fine and the strange thing is that this router gives me better reception than my main wifi router even in rooms which are further away. the wonders of wireless!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every home needs one of these!!, 21 Jan 2012
I thought I'd try the cheap option first by trying to set up a little Edimax router as a repeater - please don't bother! I spent all afternoon trying to figure it out and still couldn't work it. I'm competent with computers, but the instructions made no sense. This product however came in two days, and was set up in 10 minutes. Very clear instructions. Easy to work, good price overall.

2.0 out of 5 stars wi fi repeater, 3 Mar 2012
im not a tech savvy person and coudn"t get this item to work although tried numerous times instructions not very clear