5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely automatic timepiece
Published 13 months ago by Antoine Camilleri

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch but not for swimming.
Published on 23 Jun. 2012 by Derek

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely automatic timepiece, 9 Jun. 2014
Antoine Camilleri (Malta) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seiko 5 Men's Automatic Watch with Black Dial Analogue Display and Blue Fabric Strap SNK807K2 (Watch)
As a watch collector I tend to buy automatic watches due to various reasons as explained further down. This Seiko 5 is a great watch for the price. Movement is smooth and precise, with the second hand sweeping graciously around the watch face. The white hands over the blue watch fascia make for easy reading of the time. The glass back shows the superb movement of this quality watch.

Yet do not expect an automatic watch to be as precise as a quartz one, in fact the watch could drift a couple of seconds a day. This could lead to around 2 minutes per month.

Automatic watches tend to keep their price relatively well due to the mechanical movement, which involves precision engineering of miniature gears. The glass back reveals these gears in motion. Another big advantage is that you never have to change a battery. Going through my collection changing batteries is quite a laborious chore. And once the watch is opened, it will never regain the water resistance or proofing as when it left the factory, unless, of course you are ready to pay a hefty amount to get it done by the manufacturer. Another point worth mentioning is that during the course of opening or closing the back cover for a battery change, there is always a risk of scratching the watch.

At this price point, I rate the Seiko 5 stars.

I have been using this watch for swimming as the listing originally claimed that it was actually water resistant to 100m - However please note that as per user manual the watch is water resistant to 10m and not fit for swimming. The fact that it worked fine for me does not mean that it will work out for you.

I recommend this watch for those seeking a trendy solid performer, and do not mind losing or gaining a minute every 2 to 3 weeks.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch but not for swimming., 23 Jun. 2012
Derek (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This is a really nice looking watch with a dark blue face and slightly lighter band which contrasts well. The brushed stainless steel case compliments both. But why is this advertised as a watch which is OK for swimming? The back is marked "Water resistant" and the Seiko instruction leaflet says "...your watch is manufactured to withstand up to 3 bar...but is not designed for wearing while swimming." Guess I will still have to travel with my fifteen year old, £9.00 Casio watch which has been in pools, seas and oceans without once missing a beat. Amazon should ask the seller to amend the description to accurately describe this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, high quality, 1 Feb. 2015
This watch is very well-built.
The face is very well detailed, with precision machining. The movement is of high quality, and effectively enclosed in a water-resistant case (I wouldn't and haven't tried it in the shower, but it's dealt with a couple of bad rainstorms). The strap is simple, and obviously if you're not happy with it it's a simple job to get it replaced. I've worn it frequently for best part of four months now, and the glass is still scratch-free, so it's quite resistant to damage too (as the hardlex name presumably implies).
It's important to point out that whilst this watch is automatic, it cannot be wound manually. This means it does require you to wear it whenever you can to keep it wound, although a vigorous shaking will always bring it to life. It keeps superb time, however, and the date wheel is easy to correct during shorter months.
Great value for money, seems to retail on Amazon for anywhere between £40 and £60, and it's very much worth two to three times as much. It's now my go-to watch for everything but the dressiest of occasions.

1.0 out of 5 stars Loses Time, 26 Dec. 2013
Not much to say about this watch. I like the look of it for casual wear, but right out of the box it lost 2 minutes every half hour. A watch that doesn't keep time is not much good to anyone really!

5.0 out of 5 stars bit of a bargain..., 24 Oct. 2013
Don Panik (Cambridge UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have liked these automatic watches for a while, so when the price finally dipped below forty quid, I clicked buy. So far I am pleased with it. I don't think that it is particularly small - and is actually what was the normal size for a mans watch before we all went a bit X-Large. I personally like the strap - I bought this as a casual watch and the nylon strap is part of that look. The brushed steel look is classy and the face is easy to read.

There is something rather retro about automatic watches like this, and after years of quartz accuracy, I had forgotten the thrill of checking your watch against official time to see how far out you have gone. Mine is within a few seconds per week so far - so top marks to the Malaysian factory that put this together. I make sure I wear it for a few hours each evening and that seems enough to keep it going. Very pleased overall.

edit: 18 months on - this remains my go to watch for all casual occasions. It has retained its time keeping - maybe gains a couple of minutes per week now. To ring the changes I got a Blue Leather Watch Strap which suits it very well. still not a scatch on it either!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great everyday watch, 30 Aug. 2013
Having decided to have a kinetic (automatic) watch for a change from the quartz movement ones I have, this Seiko came up as the best value one on Amazon.

I love the clear display and the day/date is great when your retired and don`t know the day of the week anymore. The strap is comfortable and looks hard wearing too.

Some buyers have criticised the timekeeping with their examples but mine is pretty good only losing around 7 seconds a day. Ok not as accurate as some of my other watches and I guess there may be some variations between watches given that it is not a top end kinetic movement. It only takes a moment to adjust the time.

My one is for the North American market and has the day displayed in english and spanish, you just have to turn the day displayed to english when setting it up by pulling the crown out one click and turning it anti-clockwise until the correct day in english is displayed. I mention this because one of the reviewers commented about theirs not being in english.

Overall very pleased with my purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seiko 5 Automatic, 4 Sept. 2013
K. G. Leggett - See all my reviews
I am a retired watchmaker so wanted a reliable movement that would give untroubled timing. This is a good workhorse which is also smaller than the average mens watch and it looks good. I now own 5 of these watches with different straps and/or bracelets, and coloured dials. Remember, if you leave it off for about 12 hours, it will stop. It's an automatic. Excellent value

5.0 out of 5 stars Great looking watch, 16 Oct. 2014
My wife bought me this watch and I think it is great. A bit wary of the strap type but once seen it shows off the watch. Delivery was next day and I have worn it since. Only drawback was that my wife took a fancy to it - I bought her one anmd she is delighted with hers. Price Tag attached to watch showed the [price as $185 so I consider them a bargain.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent every day watch., 5 Jun. 2012
Bought my second Seiko thirteen years ago,for every day use,found it a far too heavy, so it was off my wrist, more than on it.My first, is now twenty five years old, it's for best, and still keeps perfect time.
I decided I would buy a new Seiko,again for every day use,an automatic this time, and looked around.
Saw this SNK807, and started to read the reviews.Most people seemed to love it,some said they hardly noticed they were wearing it, which was more or less what I wanted, after past experiences.Others said it gained or lost a minute or so,
which is quite ok for an automatic.Some liked the strap, others thought it of a lesser quality.
Having read all this, I purchased. The watch arrived within a week, well packaged. I opened the box,and put it on my wrist.
Wow, it looked good, right size and weight, and even liked the strap too.I've had it about 3 weeks now, and I couldn't be more pleased.It feels good, not heavy, face is easy to read,keeps pretty good time too,gains about eighty seconds per week
which is very good for an automatic.The blue strap is comfortable,and looks well.
All in all, for £54, shipped foc to Sweden, It fits the bill in all respects.If you are considering, you won't be dissapointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking mechanical watch, 17 Feb. 2014
Very pleased with the Seiko. I had been searching for a mechanical watch but did not want to pay some of the high prices of the famous Swiss brands. This watch is ideal, keeps pretty good time and can be worn at all times, though not while swimming. Would recommend as a first mechanical watch.