on 29 March 2014
This book ends on a bit of a cliff-hanger, and the author appears to have just given up. Fans have been crazily posting on his website asking what's happening for years, with no reply. If you are annoyed by series with no proper ending, you shouldn't buy this book since the working assumption has to be that the series will never be finished.
on 30 August 2014
Brilliant. There's an unfortunate trend in American literature recently, to make all teenage books (particularly Vampire ones) cutesy, clean, childlike and romantic, for example the Twilight series. Thank god a book that acknowledges that young people actually swear, can be violent, have a sick sense of humour and that sex figures in their lives! Really looking forward to the third book. I hope the author comes up with this soon as it's been a while. I believe he was attempting to qualify as a doctor so I can understand he might be a bit busy!
on 13 February 2014
Brilliant book enjoyable and gripping read! Full of imagination and suspense! Just waiting for the next one to come out.
on 6 December 2011
Zero Sum by B. Justin Shier continues the tale of Dieter Resnick. Dieter has survived his time at Elliot College so far, but just barely. Now he and the other members of the Lambda Squad are on a mission to take on Talmax.

The second book in the series brings back all of the notable characters from Zero Sight, including my favorites Rei and Dante. The rather unique relationship shared by Dieter and Rei continues to develop, as does their weft link. The book also reveals a bit more about the past of both characters as well. There are looks into just how troubled Dieter's childhood truly was and Rei finally unveils a little bit about her family.

There is still a lot of action this time around and a new breed of villain is introduced. The characters remain consistent with the first book, so there is plenty of humor to offset the violence. I enjoyed Dante's larger role and hope to see more of him as the series continues.

If you enjoyed the first book this one will be right up your alley. Well done again Mr. Shier bring on book 3.
on 9 February 2015
Interesting and absorbing looking forward to more by the same arthor
on 14 July 2012
I liked the authors 1st book, even giving it 5 stars. So I was really looking forward to this.

The book is a lot like the 1st- it moves fast and is readable. In spite of the fact the 1st half is the hero going shopping, flirting with 2 different girls (what a stud! Everyone loves him). The story picks up in the 2nd half, as the wizards try to fight a Mexican wizard who is selling drugs (no stereotypes there then).

So why the 3 star rating? Well, I can understand this book is part of a series. But even in a series, you solve the plot points concerned with that book. So for example, in Harry Potter, we didn't have to wait till the 3rd book to find what the Philosophers stone was, or wait till the 5 to find out what the chamber of secrets was. This is what I mean when I say you solve the plot points concerned with that book.

But here, the author just introduces new stuff, and never explains what it's about. For example, the hero's abusive father suddenly is one of the good guys, but it is never explained why. The hero is something like a half vampire, but again, this is mentioned and then never explained. The author had done this in the 1st book as well, but here it is taken to new heights.

It's as if the only purpose of this book was to get us to buy the next book. So you spend the 1st half reading about the hero's shopping adventures, but if you want the real story, you buy the next book, of course!

This has become quiet fashionable nowadays- you write a long series, always leave parts of the story out, and continue in the next book. The poor reader will be forced to buy all your books, and you will be rich!

Well, no. I paid money for this book, I expect the story of this book to be complete. I've read too many series that just fizzle out, as the author gets bored of making up stuff. So no thanks to reading yet another series.

I know some people love these sort of stories. So good luck to them. But for me, I feel cheated.
on 12 March 2016