4.0 out of 5 stars The Black Keys - Magnificent seven

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as previous albums
Published on 27 Jan. 2012 by Jules

4.0 out of 5 stars The Black Keys - Magnificent seven, 5 Dec. 2011
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
It's a Black Keys album and you pretty much know what your going to get. This is the seventh outing from the great Patrick Carney and Dan Auerbach. They work in what is somewhat restricted musical seam yet they seem to manage to squeeze every ounce of funky blues and soul base metal from its core and add their own little discoveries. It all adds up to a quality product but one in "El Camino" which adds a bit more grease and motor oil to the usual mix creating what is one of their best hard rocking blues barrages in sometime in contrast to the more laidback "Brothers" album. Equally the bands honorary third member Dangermouse (Brian Joseph Burton) is at the control desk again and has decided to place a welcome emphasis on the pop hooks in these 11 great songs and for once the bass player gets a proper look in.

It all kicks off with two thumpers the overpowering "Lonely boy" and the brilliant "Dead and gone". It all sounds effortless with the former containing a killer sing-along chorus and a pounding fuzzy riff while the latter contains .......ahem, a killer sing-along chorus and pounding fuzzy riff! A great start and the foot is barely taken off the gas with the glam rock of "Gold on the ceiling" which you can almost visualise the great Marc Bolan singing in the heyday of T Rex. The pace cools for the initially acoustic "Little black submarines" gently sung by Auerbach but breaks out into a massive electric beast halfway through with a riff that does echo Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's last dance". It's a real standout track and followed by keepers like "Money maker" and the funky "Run right back". The track "Sister" sounds like one of those classic tracks built for FM rock radio which you imagine that Paul Rodgers could happily cover. It could easily be a single although there is plenty of competition, while the soulful "Hell of a season" might just be the best track on the album. The final three tracks are the "Stop Stop" a sort of mix of Stax soul and garage rock, the incredibly commercial belter that is "Nova Baby" where Auerbach blues-tinged vocals are at their absolute best and the concluding song "Mind eraser" which would have happily sat on "Attack and release".

Granted there is little new ground broken here and "El Camino" is a not a demanding listen. You could also argue that the explorations and R&B excursions of "Brothers" have been firmly contained in a framework which represents a souped up version of their earlier work. But whose complaining? It's the Black Keys offering up a great rock album sardine packed with top notch songs. After a number of listens "El Camino" reveals itself as a fresh, exhilarating and occasionally an almost glam rock orientated album from a band which has proved one of the most enduring of its generation while many of their contemporaries have fallen by the waste side or hysterically imploded. For a band that was often brutally criticized for being the "White Stripes lite" there must be real satisfaction in their ongoing achievement and a modest level of gloating is completely in order.

5.0 out of 5 stars For All the Old Fans, 17 Dec. 2011
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
For years now, I've lived and breathed the music these guys make, which means that I'm a complete snob. They were awesome long before breaking from their blues rock style to make a modern rock album that would finally make money. In my view, they don't have to live up to the popular success of Brothers, but the success of their distinctive sound from years ago.

I had thought, on first listening to El Camino, that it was a good, solid rock album. I didn't have much to say beyond that. In fact, there's not a song on it that I dislike, which isn't the case for any other Black Keys album. However, I just wasn't all that fussed over El Camino because I felt that it was lacking exactly what's made me and many others obsess over The Black Keys for so many years: that pure soul and grit, a compulsive and compelling sound that marks the separation between their 'old music' and 'new music'. That blues sound has receded and been replaced with... well, we're not quite sure. I'm not the first to utter my misgivings that they're going the same way as The Kings of Leon.

So I got over it, and listened to the album for what it is: awesome music, and in a completely different style. For a long while I was every bit as hooked as I have been in the past. Whatever their sound, The Black Keys are still producing great music with plenty of flair - just a touch less integrity. Several months on, and having seen them on tour a few times in recent years, I can say that this music doesn't lend itself to the raw, awesome solos that we're used to, but it's still pretty good.

The album is worth the price, and just about worth the 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars el Camino, 9 Sept. 2012
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
First class album with so may good tracks, a real soulful sound especially on stop stop , love the backing vocals. Makes me we want to hunt the entire back catalogue and see them live. Especially enjoy little black submarine and lonely boy . This cd passes way too fast which a good sign of quality more please.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable, 29 Dec. 2011
S. A. Gordon (Enfield, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
Let me make one thing clear, before I downloaded this album, I had never heard anything by The Black Keys. Yes, I had read some good things but when I saw the album for £3.99 as a download from Amazon, I thought that I would give it a go,
As soon as I played it on Windows Media player just after I had burned it, I thought that this sounded exciting and I have been playing it ever since
After playing this album I have been reading more about the band, looking at other reviews on Amazon and have already bought three of their earlier albums. There obviously seems to be those who think that the early stuff is much better and there are points made that this album is not original and that it has been done before. You know what - I don't care. Yes, it's not that original but the songs are great and fun. All bands are influenced by others, but it it is those bands that use those influences to greater effect shine through. The Rolling Stones being the main example of this,
I really cannot fault the album. I can't say that there is one weak track. Stand outs (at the moment) are Lonely Boy, Stop Stop and Little Black Submarine.
I am surprised at myself for not discovering them earlier, but if you like great guitar bands like The Gun Club and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, then you will love this album.
Recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not as good as previous albums, 27 Jan. 2012
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
I only discovered the Black Keys through Keep it Hid, Dan's solo album but fell in love with the sound and have been collecting their back catologue ever since, when the last Black Keys album came out, Dan said in an interview that they had made a more commercial album to make some money to fund their 'not so commercial' blues sound, it looks like fame got them hooked just like Elbow and Kings of Leon before them, they had a taste, liked it and now dont want to go back. That said this album is still far better that most new cds around today, Dan's voice and guitar skills still awesome and there are some really great tracks on the album, Little Black Submarines being my favourite. I dont mind DangerMouse producing them, he has done some great work with Sparklehorse, Black Lips etc and he produced the wonderful Attack and Release. But I will keep my fingers crossed that their next offering will be a little less mainstream

5.0 out of 5 stars Onwards little soldiers!, 7 Dec. 2011
Yves Vandezande (Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
When I heard 'Brothers' for the first time I remember thinking "Yes! They finally made it!".
And they did.
It's not funny anymore when the whole world knows your secret favorite band but these guys really deserve it.
'El Camino' is different enough to keep things interesting and wins another 5 stars easily.
It's a little shorter in songs and time than 'Brothers' but the songs here are all good.
That's all you need to know really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool stuff, 25 April 2012
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
I confess of not having heard this band until quite recently (I know apparently I'm living under a rock, LOL!) but their particular sound of these past successful singles convinced me to pick up their work now.
It's a sort of updated old typical rock sound (based on the '60/'70ies I guess), with a little glam & folksy blues touch to it too (you can notice it in fact from the production, more contemporary).

As suggested from the title (& the sticker on the cd PLAY IT LOUD!), it's that kind of record which is nice to leave on the car to be enjoyed while on the go...moreover as others said before, I couldn't believe my ears that they're just 2 guys playing here, it sounds like a good band!
Overall the flow of the music is smooth, the pace is throughout as solid as in Lonely Boy for instance, & no filler tracks in my opinion: my favourite ones, apart the already known songs are Dead & Gone, Sister, Nova Baby & Mind Eraser...
I'm satisfied with my purchase, it's really a good-feeling album for everybody to enjoy (& a sound that was missed from the radio for a while ;-)!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Amazing....., 15 Oct. 2012
Sally69 (Llantwit Major, Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
Well, I really don`t know where the hell I`ve been for the last ten years, but I have only just discovered this amazing band! Heard `Little Black Submarines` on the radio one the other sunday - it stopped me in my tracks, needed to know who it was - & as soon as found out I went straight on Amazon & ordered this album. OMG I just love it - every song has a catchy little riff thats keeps you hooked - I wake up in the morning still humming along to one or another of them. Of course I already knew `Lonely Boy` & `Gold on the Ceiling` (without knowing who it was) but within a couple of plays, all the tracks seamlessly get into your subconcious in such a good way. Just loving `Sister` & `Stop Stop`. Their sound reminds me a little of (& its been said before) The White Stripes, but also Queens of the Stone Age & The Cult with influences from The Doors, Led Zep & Creedence Clearwater Revival - there`s definitely a 70`s feel to this album. Within two listens I`d ordered `Brothers` - can`t wait discover some more of The Black Keys....

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, amazing, amazing, 9 Feb. 2012
J. A. Noble (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: El Camino (MP3 Download)
Is this their best yet? As far as a full studio effort I'd have to say so. These guys just get better and better. Only pity is my Amazon download is a but jumpy! Off to see them tonight. Cannot, cannot wait. God Bless You Black Keys!

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I discovered the black keys, 12 July 2012
This review is from: El Camino (Audio CD)
This was an accidental discovery for me - I saw a brief TV advert for the album and thought it sounded good. Well I have got into the Black Keys big time. For me the music has an earthy, rocky authentic feel - I love the scuzzy blues rock guitar sound. Since getting this album I also got their album Brothers - as you would expect it sounds similar - but the pace and timing is different - its a 'grower' - listen to it a few times and you will grow to appreciate the range of emotions and music on offer. El Camino is more up tempo and commercial than Brothers - but still maintains its integrity and is not overly commercial.

There is not a bad track on this album - amazing these days when you get an album you are lucky of two or three tracks are good.

My whole family loves this album including my eleven year old son, and eight year old daugher - its pure quality.

El Camino