on 24 November 2010
I have to say it was with trepidation that I started to read Cussler's new Dirk Pitt novel, having not been a fan of his most recent work, espescially the seemingly endless lines of story that were being pushed out the door with more and more co-writers in tow. However, Crescent Dawn is a suprising return to form for Cussler and the writing is superb. Cussler has really done well here to bring the Dirk Pitt series up to date and the plot (although always far fetched as expected of Cussler - and all the better for it!) deals with the concerns of today's world. I was pleased that Cussler decided to ditch what seemed like an endless number of Chinese/Communist mad hatters with world domination plans and turned his attention to terrorism, Israel, Hesbola, Islam. He also unveils the murkey world of antiquity forgery, smuggling and robbery.

He sets all this real time stuff against an action packed plot, with car chases, shoot outs, fights, lucky escapes, plenty of dives and boats and all the fun of the Sea.

Dirk Pitt Jnr and Summer are not nearly as annoying as they have been in previous stories. I was also impressed with the research that went into this novel. Living in London I know the places he describes when adventures take a turn to England in the book. The details he got right were quite excellent.

All in all this is one of the best Pitt's I have read in a long time, pure escapist fiction at it's best. Enjoy.
on 14 January 2011
There was something very exciting about the camaraderie and boys own type adventure of Pitt and Giordino. Underwater sea explorers looking for missing boats and artefacts, coming across more than their fair share of scrapes and run-ins.

But they are relegated these days to the occasional foray, as Cussler seeks to promote Dirk Jr and Summer. Yet they are not given the same pizzaz the other two have, and Cussler seems caught up now with too many characters - Pitt, Giordino, Dirk, Summer, a couple of baddies, a dishonest artefact dealer, an israeli antiquities detective and so on. Only when Pitt and Giordino take centre stage does the book take off.

Interesting also that Cussler has moved from historical adventure to archaeological thriller with this one. You could also try Ben Witherington's Art West adventures, starting with The Lazarus Effect.
VINE VOICEon 23 November 2010
What can I say - I became addicted to Clive Cussler with one of his first book and have looked forward to buying his new editions upon publication. There have been a few lame dogs along the way - usually when he collaborated with another author but this one is on top form. It is action packed, with the usual tension that has won Cussler readers worldwide. It travels from AD 237 to present day terrorism and drags us, the reader along with it enjoying every minute of the madness and mayhem through which we travel. Yes a really good Dirk Pitt NUMA team novel. Do not hesitate with this one It really is terrific. Crescent Dawn
on 1 December 2011
Really looked forward to getting my hands on this book as I'm Dirk Pitt's No.1 fan. However, I was really disappointed by the standard of writing. This isn't Clive Cussler's type of writing but his son's. There was little depth to the book, the chapters jumped all over the place and so did the charactors.It would have been better to have left Dirk and his wife Loren where they were in the last book, getting happily married, then to have them wade through this tired plot. I somehow get the feeling Dirk Cussler is more interested in promoting Dirk Pitt Junior than Senior. In my opinion, give this book a miss.
on 6 March 2011
In the 1980s and 90s I waited with bated breath for another Dirk Pitt Novel. Although they always fitted a similar format the historical, geographical research and the 'teams relationships' was well done and made the adventure exciting.
Things changed when Dirk jnr and Summer came along, they had the effect of watering it down.
His recent novels, this one included just remind me of the constant flow of US movies following the same old format purely to get bums on seats. Yes I am sorry Mr Cussler I feel you are doing the same. As a writer myself I know how hard it is to 'keep ones name out there' but I am sure I speak for many when I say surely ONE good book is worth 10 mediocre ones!
What topped it for me this time round was the vision of Buckingham palace as seen from Lambeth Palace; just like a US movie when in a car chase or even a taxi ride around London out the window one sees every notable landmark in the space of 2 minutes. There was no excuse because his other location while in the UK around Dover was spot on.
I hope Dirk jnr and Summer get more integrated into the stories in the future. This time round I found their part of the story very disjointed. Both Summer and Dirk Jnr got into serious trouble in the UK and Turkey, Dirk Snr being their boss and father knew nothing about it until there chance meeting in Turkey!!
Lets go back to the quality of the one or two books a year, early adventures in some way. Either that or have a catastrophe and wipe the family out once and for all...

False Accusations: Guilty Until Proven Innocent
on 12 April 2016
Yet another master piece by the King of mystery and suspense, How Clive Cussler continues to produce such quality, giving his readers so much pleasure, is indeed a mystery of its own worth. .thank you Clive
on 1 February 2012
It's about time Clive Cussler packed it in. The formula has run its course and this book has contractual obligation written all over it. The tongue is now so far into the cheek that CC takes the names of British characters from the cast list of Corrie - Julie Goodyear - sorry all I could see was Bet Lynch in the Rovers! Another reviewer noted that Buckingham Palace was now on the Thames....Time to call it a day.
on 23 December 2012
Another fine action adventure from Mr Cussler featuring the Pitt family against a megalomaniac Turk and his sister.
As another reviewer has pointed out ,despite p228 you cannot see Buckingham Palace from Lambeth Palace. It reminds me of an old Music Hall song-
Oh it really is a wery pretty garden
And Chingford to the eastward could be seen;
Wiv a ladder and some glasses,
You could see to 'Ackney Marshes,
If it wasn't for the 'ouses in between.

Also pp215 and 229 have an exchange of letters between Lord Kitchener and the Archbishop of Canterbury. The Archbishop begins his letter Sir and signs it Randall Davidson. The Victorians/Edwardian upper classes were sticklers for protocol.
The letter would have begun "My dear Lord Kitchener" and ended R Cantuar or Randall Cantuar.
Similarly Kitchener's letter would have started with My Dear Archbishop and not with "Excellency".
on 29 October 2014
As with all Clive Cussler books this one is just as addictive. Once you start you are gripped by the story line especially if you enjoy history worth your drama. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good thriller
on 23 September 2013
I have almost all of Clive Cussler's books in paperback and a few in my Kindle, including this one (cos it is easier for travel). This book is excellent for the story and adventure - difficult to put down when you start it. Not one of his very best, but close to it.

I would recommend to anyone who likes Clive Cussler novels.