4.0 out of 5 stars weird things...
this film was unexpectedly scary. while it isn't a conventional hollywood movie it manages to instill fear without resorting to loud music and a cat leaping into frame.
Published on 15 May 2004 by Rory

2.0 out of 5 stars IT WASN'T ME
Published 23 months ago by The Movie Guy

4.0 out of 5 stars weird things..., 15 May 2004
to describe the plot would be to give too much away but the basic structure follows jeff daniels as he discovers that his wife is missing. several characters move in and out of the movie but this is primarily daniels picture. this is the best i've seen him and i'm not exactly a fan.
the resolution might seem a little predictable but by that stage just when you've thought that it was resembling the sixth sense or stir of echoes it has moved in another direction again.
it is noteably downbeat but it leaves you thinking and i always believe this is a good thing in any movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars IT WASN'T ME, 2 Jun. 2013
Ed Saxon (Jeff Daniels) college professor is having trouble sleeping. His house has some constant water issues and his wife Eve hasn't returned home. Ed, and just about everyone in the film takes pills. Ed hallucinates. The problem with the film is that once George Simeon (Julian McMahon) enters the picture, we have the entire film figured out. Thank you Edgar Allen Poe for the wonderful story, "The Tell-Tale Heart."

The film grew tiresome as I was waiting for another twist, or some cinematic feature to grab me. But alas it does not. Ed mopes about in a state of being half asleep. There are better Tell-Tale Heart type movies. Of course if you never heard of the short story, you might like seeing it done for the first time.

PARENTAL GUIDE: Sex, Nudity (TV star Emily Bergl) some brief adult language. In real life Emily Bergl was a national champion poetry reader...that and showing your boobs can get you a part in a movie. In this production she plays as student who loves poetry, but doesn't read any in the film. A missed opportunity.

2.0 out of 5 stars German!, 22 Sept. 2012
I have waited 12 years for this movie to be released in the uk. I previously had to buy the American version and strip off the region protection just to watch my favourite movie in my country.

Finally, after 12 years the movie was released in the UK. So I bought it, and lo and behold it's German dub. My dvd players refuse to switch the audio to the english channel, and after ages trying to translate the menu from german, I discovered the english option forces german subtitles.

So you can either watch this in german, or try and figure out the german menu system and switch to hard german subtitles.

I'd rather just use my American DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 10 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Chasing Sleep [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this film years ago from Amazon, back before a Region 2 even existed. I had to struggle to rip and convert a Region 1 import because there was no other way to watch one of my favourite movies.

I'm glad that the publisher finally decided to release a Region 2. The price of £9 for a non-bluray in this day and age is preposterous, but I'm glad it exists. It's bizarre to me that it took until 2012 for a DVD release, and I hope it doesn't take another 10 for a bluray.

I saw this film on Sky around 10 years ago, at around 4/5am during my insomniac period, which of course is very fitting for this film. The way it played on the psychology of sleeplessness, and the way that fantasy (and therefore horror) and the loneliness of existing during a time where you feel most detached, was very well orchestrated. It's a simple film, and probably doesn't help explain the condition to those not fully aware of what it's like not to sleep for an extended period of time, but I feel that this movie was made for insomniacs. This is my favourite Jeff Bridges role, and I am looking forward to watching the director's upcoming works.

For those that enjoy this movie I recommended the following films: Bringing Out The Dead, Cash Back, The Machinist, Insomnia, Fight Club, Donnie Darko.

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 27 Sept. 2013
battwood (leicestershire uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chasing Sleep [DVD] (DVD)
this film is what I would call an arty farty film it drifts from the real world to some sort of dream world, the problem is the viewer has no idea which is which, it has no real beginning and no end you have to make your own mind up as to the outcome, well acted by jeff daniels but I am surprised he appeared in such a load of rubbish, it has already gone to the charity shop.

Chasing Sleep [DVD]
Chasing Sleep [DVD] by Michael Walker (DVD - 2012)