5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable But True
I have just watched this biopic on BBC4 and I have to say it is one of the most interesting and moving stories I have ever seen.
Published on 26 Feb 2012 by king-stumble

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity
unfocused, missed opportunity by a filmmaker that seems to never fully engage with the subject matter.
Published 4 months ago by William Marshall

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable But True, 26 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Jazz Baroness [DVD] (DVD)
Whether you are a jazz fan or not you will enjoy this. I am but I had no idea of the life and times of "Nica" as she was known.This is an utterly fascinating insight into her life which is beautifully written and directed by her great niece Hannah.
I had a lump in my throat at Nica's final wish.
I cannot recommend this film highly enough.
Simply superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure magic, 20 Jun 2012
Fabulous fabulous fabulous
I bought this documentary after reading Hannah Rothschild's brilliant book 'The Baroness'. This film tells the same story through music, interview and stunning images.
You dont have to like jazz to love this film- you will LOVE it anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Jazz Baroness, 20 Mar 2012
D. M. Bonham (Midlands U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jazz Baroness [DVD] (DVD)
I've watched this documentary on TV no less than 3 times & still intend to buy it from Amazon. It's a absolute gem - I think I could watch it forever. You don't really need to be a jazz fan & I particularly like the 'artistic' way in which it was made. There has been little to get one's teeth into since "Round Midnight" with Dexter Gordon - which seems an age ago now. Great stuff & quite remarkable it really is !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating subject, beautiful film, 22 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Jazz Baroness [DVD] (DVD)
You don't have to be a jazz fan to enjoy this measured, unsensational and utterly fascinating film about Thelonious Monk and his friendship with Pannonica Rothschild, but if you are, you'll probably get more out of it. Combining stunning footage of the jazz piano genius with interviews from those who witnessed the touching relationship between jazzman and heiress, The Jazz Baroness is one of the best films on jazz I've seen - especially given that producer/director Hannah Rothschild (Pannonica's great-niece) is not a diehard fan. Just superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the Best Jazz Film ever Made, 21 Feb 2012
R. Wyatt (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jazz Baroness [DVD] (DVD)
Have seen this documentary/biopic on BBC4 and I keep missing the repeats. Now I can buy it and I will. It's probably the best film about Jazz/Jazz musicians I have seen. Great mix of characters. Eccentric free-spirited aristocrats and a troubled jazz piano genius. A Fascinating story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 30 July 2013
This review is from: The Jazz Baroness [DVD] (DVD)
Hannah R. made a splendid documentary. She searched for not just Nica and her life, but also many important jazz musicians. Nica and her entourage is hard to understand but reveals real and great friendships and love.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely worth keeping ..., 9 Nov 2013
Ajarn Col (Colchester , North Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Jazz Baroness [DVD] (DVD)
This documentary film ,narrated and affectionately researched by Nica's great-niece ,Helen Mirren, is simply superb.Their story ,as retold in the film, also contains some wonderful footage and insightful interviews.No surprise that I've been inspired to revisit some of my Monk albums after watching this. I usually give away my used DVD's to either a charity shop or friends, but I'll be hanging on to this one I'm afraid.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Jazz Baroness [DVD] (DVD)
I think this document is a MUST HAVE for every jazz lover..I am a jazz singer and I was searching something about the Baroness Nica...Really I was a little surprised when I found that this dvd had been released this year.. Maybe her story was not so brilliant for the Rotschild family..so ... it took so many years to talk about her. So...many thanks to Miss Hanna Rotschild for having made this extremely interesting research upon her aunt's (?) life. Please excuse if my english is not the best!

3.0 out of 5 stars Missed opportunity, 2 July 2014
William Marshall (Sydney Australia) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 July 2014
This review is from: The Jazz Baroness [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant! Bird (not a nice man lol) died in her gaff - how in could you get?

The Jazz Baroness [DVD]
The Jazz Baroness [DVD] by Hannah Rothschild (DVD - 2012)