4.0 out of 5 stars The bigger the better
You'll see a lot of reviews saying how great light therapy is. I am a believer, but here I am trying to review this lamp specifically (I've had some experience of others) rather than the benefits of the treatment.

Published 15 months ago by suilven

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light but it's huge!
The lamp works perfectly and gives just the light required. What I didn't expect was how big it was -- silly me, should have checked the dimensions beforehand. It's fairly flat, so would fit nicely against the wall but it's too tall to fit under the shelf over my desk. I wish I'd gone for the portable one.

Still, if you don't mind the size, the lamp works...
Published 10 months ago by Mel

4.0 out of 5 stars The bigger the better, 17 Sep 2013
This review is from: Lumie Brazil SAD Light Box - 10,000lux Therapy Lamp (Personal Care)

In my experience, usability is the number one factor in choosing a SAD light. If it's inconvenient or restrictive you'll skip sessions. Can you eat breakfast, take a phone call or read a book, in comfort, and still get a good dose? Some of the smaller ones are not really up to the job unless you sit really close and give them your undivided attention (I confirmed this with a lux meter). By contrast, the Brazil is like sitting next to a sunny window. It really does chuck out an enormous amount of light over a wide useable area. Lovely.

Mine (purchased direct from Lumie) did have a few minor niggles. The switch is so stiff, I have to use my other hand to stop the lamp siding across the desk. The cord was a bit mean at just over 1.5m. I had to buy an extension to give me more freedom with positioning. The diffuser was a bit scuffed in places and awkward to put back in (you have to pop it out to remove shipping padding). Small points, but for the price I expected more attention to detail. On the plus side, it's nice and simple. There's no battery to charge, no clock / timer / standby mode or any such digital gubbins to worry about. You could use it with an external time switch.

Although this is one of the biggest and brightest available, I would still recommend getting a lux meter (1) to make sure your set-up is correct and (2) so you know when the tubes need replaced. Incidentally, the fluorescent tubes are not very expensive, and they're still far ahead of LED bulbs in cost/performance terms, although I have no doubt LEDs will catch up in a few years.

6/11/13 update:
Really glad I got this! As well as helping to keep the old body clock in sync, a session gives me a boost of alertness which is most welcome on these gloomy days. Checking Rosenthal's Winter Blues book again, he says 2,500 lux proved effective. I took some measurements. The Brazil is giving 10,000 at 35cm as spec'd. It's very bright straight away but takes a minute or two to reach full strength. More importantly, I'm getting 2,500 at a comfortable distance for desk / computer work. The light is diffuse enough not to worry about the exact position and orientation of my head all the time. I had previously found that to be an issue with a portable narrow-beam LED lamp from another company.

5.0 out of 5 stars its useful for anyone, 4 Oct 2014
Mrs. G. Mahendiran "Shanthi" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Note: remove foam protection from inside where bulbs are before use.

Really bright, different to the blue wavelength lights that require similar or shorter time each day. I prefer this as it illuminates my room and i use it as a general light too.

Sit 35 cms away, may vary but curvature helps and too be honest, whilst it is bright, the receptors that reset the body clock, are found in the peripheral retina. Ie... Light entering from the side without looking directly does the job.

Takes a few days to really differentiate from placebo but for me its obvious immediately as i am very sensitive to the change in seasons and feel mood changes in the autumn and even on dark summer days.

Give it a try, its useful for anyone, not just those who suffer greatly. I believe anybody can benefit from increased energy and better sleep and mood. We are creatures after all, and most creatures change their behaviour in the darker months, either by bailing to the where the sunshine is, or sleeping.

All the besy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect design and beautiful light!, 17 Feb 2014
The even light is really pleasant from this lamp!
It came well protected for transport, so all in all everything is well thought out, with this product.
Same color temperature as my Innosol Mesa Mega Bright, so I use them both, for my morning light bath.
I could do with just one, if my tables permitted it, but I like the freedom of having more powerful light from further away, and different angles.
Morning coffee just taste so much better in 'sunlight'!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job Well, 10 Nov 2014
This light arrived in good time and well packaged. My wife wanted to use it to brighten things up first thing on the dark mornings and it ticks those boxes.
I would recommend this type of light against smaller versions as it does give off a perfect bright light.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 8 Nov 2014
Michelle Meadows "Gorge" (Wales) - See all my reviews
love it had it a few days feeling great

3.0 out of 5 stars Great light but it's huge!, 22 Feb 2014
Mel (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Still, if you don't mind the size, the lamp works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Dec 2014
Excellent. Speedy delivery. Sets up in seconds. Feel brighter already :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Dec 2014
Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Light, 28 Aug 2013
mrs c j doran "Jim Taffy" (crowthorne, berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Arrived promptly but so far have had enough summer light so have not used it yet. It looks really good so would recommend it though.