4.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel that could be better
As a fan of the first series, this was a must have when released. And in alot of sense it wasn't much of a let-down. But however there were three things that didn't get it's five stars.
1) Action is plenty but sometimes the chatty parts take up more of the fights, also the fights sometimes end pretty short, making me wanting more.
2) The entire second series was...
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by Orange75

2.0 out of 5 stars A major letdown.
I watched this straight after finishing the first series, what i loved about it was the realistic animation, the great characters, the way Hei wasn't always the focus but he was always involved and the music by Yoko Kanno (Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell) Well guess what? all of are practically gone, Hei does nothing for the majority of the series, the new main...
Published 18 months ago by Lee Brocklebank

4.0 out of 5 stars A great sequel that could be better, 5 Jan 2012
This review is from: Darker Than Black - Gemini of The Meteor Season 2 [DVD] (DVD)
2) The entire second series was shorter than the first one, making me also want more out it when season 1 was 25 episodes long.
3) The ending also seemed something of a let down, it seemed rushed which also leaves one or two new questions for me. But interesting enough also leaves it wide open for possibly another series.

However, the animation is noticably better with smoother framework on the action scenes. The music soundtrack in my opinion is also a winner, it blends in well with the scenes. Remarkably the English dub hasn't dropped its performance from the first series. The new characters involved also shows the series has no limits of imagination here, where Suo (a new main character) fills the gap of becoming a contractor and also shows Hei isn't completely heartless.

I highly recommamend watching the OVA episodes before the series as it fills the gap and makes it a better understanding. All in all a great series to watch, and hopefully sometime there might be a third series (although none is planned at the moment as I write this).

5.0 out of 5 stars Back for seconds?, 31 Dec 2011
William Jenkins "wJ" (Worthing, England) - See all my reviews
Here it is! The sequel season to what was in my opinion 2009s best release! And I guess its no surprise I've layed 5 stars down for this one. But here are my reasons why!

This second season of Darker Than Black kicks off a good while after the events of season 1 with the infamous Black Reaper seemingly gone solo.
In this season Hei spends a fair amount of time doing 2 things-
1. Searching for Yin who for unknown reasons has seperated from Hei.
2. Bonding with our newest protagonist, Suo, a young girl seperated from her family after her house is raided and her father seemingly murdered by the Black Reaper himself!

It's an interesting setup putting the girl with the man who she hates most in the world.... the twos relationship develops in a very interesting fashion as they quickly realise they need to stick together to survive. Slowly some uneasy bonds are formed and its all very interesting to watch as the pair try to survive and uncover various mysteries surrounding them.

When things get dangerous and our protagonists are forced to face enemies (everyone from the military to contractors to shady secret agencies) the action kicks in, and the fightscenes follow a similar philosophy to the origional series... and that is that theyre short and sweet.
Action always kicks in at just the right moment and the animation is just staggering, it is leaps and bounds beyond its predeccessor and that really is saying something. This show is simply fantastic to look at.

The music used here is also brilliant. Alot of tracks are reused over and over but in all honesty I don't mind that as it still sounds great and accompanys the animation/ story perfectly.
You have the choice of wether to opt for subtitles or dub as is expected these days really.
Ive only watched the dub so far and I loved it, with all actors putting in above average performances.

If I had to be picky and decide on some flaws with the show I guess I would say that maybe the fightscenes leave you wanting a bit more, simply because I found that they finish just as quickly as they begin.
All the same they are still fantastic, so dont be too put off by that.
My other issue is the ending, I mean theres nothing wrong with it... but given the amazing standard of the rest of the series I had expected something truely memorable which I'm not 100% sure this series delivered. None the less its a kind of open ending meaning that Darker Than Black may not be through just yet! (although no plans for follow up series have been reported at the time of me writing this)

You even get the awesome 4 episode OVA that bridges the gap between seasons! This expands upon Hei and Yins relationship and will help you put things nicely together once the series has reached its conclusion.
Good value for your money or what!

All in all this is a fantastic series, and if you havnt seen the origional I recomend you go and buy that right now... then move on to this, obviously.
This is the sequel I had been waiting for and it delivered in almost every respect. Big thumbs up from me, so go for it!

Thankyou for reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great series in its own right!, 3 Jan 2012
The feel of this season, is much different to that of season one, in honesty, it feels like a completely different series, that is not to say however, it wasn't amazing.
My advice when watching this, would be not to be expecting a follow on from the feel of the first season, but to look at it as a series in its own right. I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys anime as I was certainly hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars A dark horse worth seeing, 27 Mar 2013
Brought this for my son after buying him season one for xmas, his a great Naruto fan and had seen all 12 seasons. He loves manga and this has become a welcomed addition to his collection. Has also seen this in Japaness. Has sought out if there is a season three. Is there? We hope so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 Mar 2013
Althought in my eyes this wasn't as epic as season 1, it was still good. Other than that i would recommend this to anyone just make sure to watch the OVAs first (providing you've watched season 1) instead of going right to ep 1. It bridges the gap between season 1 and 2

5.0 out of 5 stars My thoughts, 21 Aug 2013
This is my favourite Anime Series. The plot of this second Season is fantastic and it fits in very well. Just when you start you kind of wonder how it all happens, then the 3rd Disc explains. I suggest watching the 3rd Disc first then the other two. It is also an amazing quality DVD and the English voices are amazing as well as the original Japanese voices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker Than Black - Gemini of The Meteor Season 2 [DVD], 11 May 2013
D. G. Slade "anime fan" (hazlemere uk) - See all my reviews
Not as long as the first season but carries on with a new story arc and characters include this box set are the ova's as well I recomend you watch these first as the second season will make more sense.
The action continues to a final episode with the slightest hint of maybe a film or maybe a third season.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not so good as season 1, 23 Mar 2013
For starters the season ist shorter than the first one, so they packed more into a shorter timeframe. They certainly do not waste time: The action starts early and is generally ok and you have to continue watching. ;)

I hope there will be a season 3 and that the next one isn't as short as this one, but yeah: I would buy season 2 again.

Just a little tipp: the OVA's on disc 3 are located between Season 1 and 2, maybe you want to look them before you start with the actual season 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 29 Jan 2013
Absolutely love this series! has to be the best one I have ever seen! I highly recommend it to anyone who like dark/serious anime!

4.0 out of 5 stars one of the greatest anime ever created BUT...., 25 Dec 2012
Hei (UK, Birmingham) - See all my reviews
I really loved the first season, to be honest I was hesitant at first watching it, but I'm glad I gave it a go, because its as great as; Code geass, Yu Yu Hakusho, death note, fullmetal alchemist ect...

The second season, kind of went down hill to the first (not by much), because a lot of the characters in the first season were gone, and the story took a completely different environment and a bunch of new characters were introduced, with only 12 episodes I guess it was kind of rushed, with not much character development. The main character *************(SPOILER)**************

loses his powers, which was what made him so cool in the first season, his actually famously nicknamed (online) as the Chinese electric batman. Hei also becomes an alcoholic and not very sociable (I can relate), where as in the first season he lived a double life, hence the nickname. The second season partly ruined it for me, because the story focuses on suou and finding her brother, its like hei loses his importance, even though he loses his powers he still able to fight and there is a lot of action (to be honest he probably didn't need his powers to begin with, as he is able to take on contractors (people with special abilities) with ease, and even when his at a disadvantage he uses brain to turn tight spots in his own favour, there are VERY EPIC scenes, which are priceless, there are 4 ovas, I would recommend you watching those first, because its the filler for both season, the first ova has really wicked scene close to the end!!!, season 2 isn't really bad as some people make it, plus with the ovas I was satisfied so I guess its a value for money.

I really missed amber from season 1, but she does get mentioned in season 2, so she's not totally forgotten. There are 2 season disks, each containing 6 episodes, and one ova disk which contains 4 ova episodes totally 16 episodes. The picture quality is pretty decent, although you can get a blue ray version now.

Darker Than Black - Gemini of The Meteor Season 2 [DVD]