5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive.
Published on 21 Dec. 2012 by Lady Petra Wimsey

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems a bit underpowered ?
Published on 28 Jun. 2012 by jimh

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive., 21 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
This recording has been a constant companion for almost 20 years; its own age has not dulled the impact of the lively performances both orchestral and vocal. It gives such pleasure on every listening, and the quality throughout is excellent: dense textures are discernable and the solo lines are well-produced. I have heard many other recordings but none has lifted the spirit like this one. A must-have for any JSB (or JEG!) enthusiast.

3.0 out of 5 stars Seems a bit underpowered ?, 28 Jun. 2012
jimh "jimh" (stroud, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
We like the idea of authentic versions of Bach's music, using early instruments (or copies), and similar forces to Bach's day. So perhaps we shouldn't have been disappointed by this CD. We bought it after hearing a fabulous performance of the Mass in Cirencester Church - made special for us by the fact that a harpsichord I made was played in the concert. But when we sat down to listen to the CD, it didn't seem a patch on the live version. Perhaps we hoped for too much. Soloists seemed lack-lustre and remote, instrumental playing weak, altogether not a lot of pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
Wonderful music I bought this after hearing it in a concert.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied with recording. Thoroughly enjoying listening to it and learning soprano voice part., 22 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
Wonderful music, brilliantly performed and produced for listener. As a choral singer recording proving invaluable to helping me learn soprano voice part and to appreciate how different voice parts and instrumental sections interweave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Bach, 11 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
Marks my return to the Bach fold. I can't think why I left! There are plenty more to choose from.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money., 6 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
Tenor & bass superb. Bass has super voice, and Jonas Kaufman ....WOW! And he also sings well and has a great future.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great recording, 23 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
A Good recording, very well sung and a great orchestra and conductor, very happy with the purchase, you won't be disappointed

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 10 May 2013
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
Having heard JEG and found that this was his favourite piece of music, I thought this version very poor dynamically.

1.0 out of 5 stars Korean and disc 2 copy, 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Bach: Mass in B minor (Audio CD)
I love this mass but unfortunately the problem is with the CD. Disc one is perfectly fine but when it came to adding disc two to my computer I discovered the album info (ie song names,cd name everything) is in a foreign language and foreign alphabet - my guess is Korean. As well as this, track 7 on disc two has a background scratching/clicking noise throughout sounding very much like an illegal copy. I returned the CD and asked Amazon to send another (hoping it was a one off) which they kindly did but unfortunately the second CD had the exact same issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 28 Jun. 2014
Excellent performance.

Bach: Mass in B minor
Bach: Mass in B minor by English Baroque Soloists (Audio CD - 2012)