5.0 out of 5 stars Different, inspiring and well recommended.
I've read countless adventure and travel books and the majority fail to address the psychology of why we love to travel - a genuinely interesting subject matter. This book manages to explore our constant desire for travel in a clear and tangible way by following a simple walk across India.

The journey itself is not as spectacular or 'epic' in comparison to his...
Published on 21 Feb 2012 by J. Atkins

3.0 out of 5 stars A personal, inward journey. I wanted to read about what was OUT there!
More of an experimental, inward-looking and philosophical read compared with his other books I have read, I wasn't expecting the leaping around the time-line and missed reading about his journey unfolding in a linear, more insightful way...not to mention the dearth of information on what was actually happening around him. Each to their own, I suppose but not a book I'll...
Published 3 months ago by Queenie

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and interesting read, 12 Mar 2014
I have only read the first few chapters of this book....i had to put it down for fear that i wouldn't be able to stop when it was time for bed.

If you love the fear and excitement of adventure, combined with a refreshingly honest take on the realities of the day to day slog then you must read this book.

I've spent time in India, and though i don't think i would have taken Alastair's route, the originality of his take on the trip cannot help but inspire great ideas for a trip anywhere in the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical, soulful journey., 12 Mar 2014
I picked this up after hearing Al speak at an event (catch him if you can, he's inspiring and insightful).

There may be other rivers, but there are very few books which bring the same imaginative, immersive experience as this. Al doesn't rely on sweeping, Tolkien-esque descriptions of landscape to try and draw you in, it's more a study of who he is as each moment in time and how the journey reflects in him.

The prose has an almost soft and lilting feel to it, winding through the loosely structured narrative like the titular river. You can sense his passion and genuine love for the lands travelled.

I've bought three copies in total, as I keep giving them to people (never lend a book), and I'll keep doing so.

5.0 out of 5 stars A class apart, 12 Mar 2014
John Matthews (Solihull, West Midlands United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
In a world of cliche-ridden "man/woman conquers the world" adventure accounts, Al's latest book stands out. There Are Other Rivers compresses his recent walk across India into a single day on the road, during which he explores different aspects of the travelling experience. It's a bold break with adventure writing convention which he pulls off with great success. Passionate and irresistible, this book is ultimately a rallying call to switch off the TV, set yourself an ambitious goal - whatever that may be - and make the most of every precious second of life. I can't think of a better way to spend a couple of hours and two pounds!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and immersive, 12 Mar 2014
Alastair's inspiring tale of a low budget expedition across a country has quickly become a personal fave. Unlike traditional travel writing, the author narrates a single day of the journey in a way that I never seen before. Going into it I thought I might be short changed by not hearing the full story of the expedition, that Alistair delivers an insight into a day in the life of an expedition in such way I was thoroughly engrossed from beginning to end.

Having read Alastairs other books (and thoroughly enjoyed them) I must admit that 'There Are Other Rivers' is a firm favourite, Not only of his collection, but my entire library

5.0 out of 5 stars unique, 11 Mar 2014
H Jackson "fellgirl" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this book for my daughter who has wanderlust after a local inpirational RGS talk. I love the fact that it could be a walk across anywhere. Its not an Indian travel guide but more an exploration into what makes people do unusual things and the mindset that requires. More a journey through the mind. Really different and well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me wistful for travelling..., 11 Mar 2014
This was my first Al Humphreys buy/read, and having devoured it in a day, I promptly bought the others and have read all of them now (Thunder&Sunshine twice).

There Are Other Rivers steps away from a the normal travelogue, and takes you journeying for the journey, not a location, a famous sight, a bucket list tick, or a 'must see'. It reminded me of why my previous travels have been so important to me, and will prompt my thinking when planning the next trip, whether it's camping near home, or long haul to new ground.

Thoroughly recommended. For everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read - which will make you want to go on an adventure!, 11 Mar 2014
Dave (Tywyn, Wales) - See all my reviews
This book by Alastair Humphreys is inspirational, and easy to get in to. The hardest part is putting it down again. He describes areas and situations that make can you imagine you were there with him.

Some people just dream of adventures - Alastair Humphreys goes and does it then makes you believe you can have your own adventure, whatever that might involve.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, gorgeously atmospheric, 11 Mar 2014
In common with his other works, this book offers an honest insight into the experiences of travel. The narrative technique offers a refreshing change that is lacking in much contemporary travel writing. The author is candid and portrays experiences that invite one to embark on a similar journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little adventure titbit!, 11 Mar 2014
Really original take on portraying a journey - an interesting and thoughtful snapshot into how insightful and rewarding a simple idea can be. I read a fair few adventure books and there had come the point where I thought I'd had my fill but this is perfect for topping up the adventure tank as it's told in a different way and, as ever, Al writes beautifully so, taking the adventure element out of it, it's a wonderful book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars best 2 I've spent in a long time, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: There Are Other Rivers (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. I thought it was a brilliant mix of honesty about the boredom, loneliness and drudgery that adventures can entail as well as an inspirational story of an amazing journey.

‹ Previous | 1 2 312 | Next ›