5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual circumstances and two unusual people
A car accident on a lonely, dark road causes Ellen to encounter "a moon-faced, silver-toothed monster with a knife." And this is a killer who is not about to let the opportunity for a new victim slip by. As Ellen runs into the woods, he eagerly chases, but what happens when the prey chooses to fight back?

The writing here in this story completely puts the...
Published on 1 Dec 2011 by S. Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars okay'ish in an average sort of way
Blurb, sort of...... In "Incident On and Off a Mountain Road," Lansdale offers readers a heroine who is far more than what she seems. Pursued by a monstrous madman, Ellen calls upon her survival skills and leads readers toward a mind-blowing twist ending.

Another freebie from the Amazon site, which I found while having a browse.

Not my usual bag...
Published 14 months ago by col2910

5.0 out of 5 stars Unusual circumstances and two unusual people, 1 Dec 2011
S. Richards (Deep South) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (Kindle Edition)

The writing here in this story completely puts the reader in the scene. I felt dread, fear, and horror, all mixed together. When he slashed at her, I jerked back. That is just how much I felt part of this story. And when Ellen came across that macabre scene in the woods, it chilled me and made me sick.

This short story is horrifying and scary, just one moment of suspense after another. As I finished the story, the author got me with an unexpected twist, a sure jab almost as sharp as that knife, and I loved it. This story is about a thirty to forty-minute read that is very well done, disturbing and gruesome, and full of the type of scenes that stick in your mind and hang tight. I fully expect to have a nightmare about this tonight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 13 Jan 2014
This review is from: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (Kindle Edition)
Very good short story, graphic, scarey and just the right amount of disturbing! Well worth a read , great value.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining and full of suspense, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (Kindle Edition)
This is a great story and an even better ending. The tension was built very well and had me hooked. Fully recommended

3.0 out of 5 stars okay'ish in an average sort of way, 30 Jan 2013
col2910 (Bedfordshire,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (Kindle Edition)

Another freebie from the Amazon site, which I found while having a browse.

Not my usual bag though I'm familiar with Lansdale's work. I have read a few of his previous horror offerings, The Drive-In 1 and 2, but my main enjoyment comes from his Hap and Leonard series, some of which I've read, but all of which I'll be re-visiting.

Hap Collins and Leonard Pine

1. Savage Season (1990)

2. Mucho Mojo (1994)

3. The Two-Bear Mambo (1995)

4. Bad Chili (1997)

5. Rumble Tumble (1998)

6. Captains Outrageous (2001)

7. Vanilla Ride (2009)

8. Devil Red (2011)

9. Hyenas (2011)

Cutting to the chase, did I enjoy it? Would I recommend it to others? Will I find myself thinking about it again in the weeks and days ahead (always the mark of a good book in my opinion)?

Enjoyment factor.........yes, ok - passed some time, I didn't feel like that's an hour or two of my life I'll never get back. The thing with short stories or novellas, a lot of time I don't actually care what happens to the characters, mainly because they are crudely drawn brushstrokes and not fully realised people that I have an interest in.

Would I recommend it to others? I doubt it; if you want to find it it's on Amazon as a freebie.

No- I won't be thinking about this one again.

2.5 out of 5, which I shouldn't complain about as it was a free download.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short, but startlingly intense., 1 Nov 2012
This review is from: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (Kindle Edition)
Decided to dip into some Joe R. Lansdale, given that Bubba Ho Tep is one of my all time favourite movies and Don Coscarelli's adaptation of this story for Masters Of Horror was one of my favourite episodes.

The most striking thing reading this is just how faithful and excellent Coscarelli's version was, he clearly stuck very faithfully to the source and the representation of Moon Face was iconic enough that it's difficult to read this without your mind conjuring up images of the MoH episode.

It really is a great short story, Lansdale's style throwing you right in at the deep end and not letting up for one moment. It's quite startlingly intense, and there are moments so dark that they understandably never made it to the tv adaptation.

As my first experience of Lansdale in book-form I'm massively impressed, and will be stocking up on more (with Bubba Ho Tep obviously top of the list).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Short Story, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this, it had a very 1970s horror feel to it, by that I mean claustrophobic and intense. Lots of action and some definite creepy and disturbing moments and a nice little twist at the end which I liked.

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, 4 Mar 2012
The Emperor (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (Kindle Edition)
This was a well told little short story. It was very well written and generated just the right amount of tension.

It was pretty inventive and sustained my interest throughout the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't Fight The Moonlight, 1 Mar 2012
Warren Stalley (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Incident On and Off a Mountain Road (Kindle Edition)
This story drags the trembling kindle reader through a dark and lonely forest, beside a remote mountain road, on a silvery moonlit night. The tension and terror keeps the reader on the edge of their seat. As the story flies by it ultimately rewards the reader's attention. Guaranteed to give you chills!

ARRAY(0xab5bce40)