5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed by the mixed reviews
As the title of my review would suggest, I am extremely surprised at the relatively poor response to this book. As you will see by some of my other reviews, I am not shy in criticizing a book if I feel did not enjoy or rate it. I have no affiliation with the author or the US Military, and both my political and religious views are neutral.

This is one of the...
Published on 22 Jun 2012 by miguljkd

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of a let down
Published on 3 Jan 2012 by AdamG

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed by the mixed reviews, 22 Jun 2012

This is one of the best books of its kind I have read, and I have read many. The primary reason for this is that Chuck Pfarrer is an excellent writer, and in this genre that is a rarity. I respect all former members of the military, especially those from Special Ops who tend to write these kind of books, but in fairness to many of them writing is not their main strength. Mr Pfarrer however is an excellent writer - intelligent, articulate and creative.

I read this book in two days then read it again straight away, I enjoyed it so much and was utterly absorbed by it. Not only does it give a unique and virtually first-hand account of the mission but it goes way beyond that. The book is roughly split into three parts, one is a very solid background on the US Navy SEALs (history, recruitment, training, Teams), the second is a comprehensive (and I agree, at times) perhaps lengthy biog of Al Quaeda and Bin Laden, then finally the build up, execution and aftermath of the mission. This is far more than I was expecting from the description of the book and, again, I found the read to be very rewarding.

So, let me quickly offer my view on the criticisms outlined by other readers:

- It has been said that the account of the mission has been exagerated, if not fabricated. Chuck Pfarrer is an ex member of SEAL Team 6, who had unparalleled access to the mission, and it's protagonists, in both the preparation and aftermath. Ultimately, he is passing on first hand accounts from those who were there. Therefore, if you are saying these are untrue, what is your source and substantiation for this? Where are you getting YOUR facts from?

- The chapter on Al Quaeda, Bin Laden and the WMD issue seems to come under fire for bias and inaccuracy. In terms of bias, well of course, you are reading a book by a former US Soldier, you must have expected to be presented with a certain point of view? In terms of inaccurate then, again, Mr Pfarrer clearly outlines his sources, several of them I have read myself and found to be solid. So, once again, where is the substantiation for your criticisms and where are your sources?

There can be no doubt that the book covers very contentious issues that divide opinion. So when I see people dropping a 1-star review and spitting one or two lines of criticism, with no counter-argument or substantiation, I think there's political agendas at work here. There has been a long standing and increasingly popular trend of disbelieving anything written on this subject by an American author, especially a member of the military. Chuck Pfarrer has written an excellent book and clearly outlined his extensive research and unparalleled access to those who were there. In my opinion, it is superbly written, very well researched, and nowhere near as one-sided and people want you to believe. I highly recommend that you give it a chance.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of a let down, 3 Jan 2012
I heard an interview with the author on the radio and that's what made me buy this book. I have to say I was a little bit disappointed after finishing it. First of all there were few spelling errors here and there - which you expect not to happen in books in general. But the main reason I think this book is just okay is that it focuses mainly on Osama Bin Laden's biography. Half of the book is Osama's stories. The other half is interesting enough to keep you going. Apart from that we are getting a very little peak into SEAL teams operations but there is not much of that and I felt at points that the information given were very vague. On the other hand you can't expect 100% true facts on SEALs and their operations. To summarize the book is OK and just OK. It's not exactly what it says on the cover. Taking Osama's biography out and at least 50% of the book's content is gone. But it's cheap enough and author is not just all "Hell Yeah America" in his approach. Having said that you will find there some very funny and dramatic quotes praising the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superlative account of a much disputed event, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: SEAL Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to Kill Osama Bin Laden (Kindle Edition)
Forget Zero Dark Thirty this book is the account of how a global man-hunt was planned, conducted and executed by one the best Special Operations team in existence.Pfarrer being an ex-Seal, ex Seal Team 6 member offers superb insight, expert knowledge, no gung-ho narrative pandering to bloodthirsty arm chair "warriors", just excellent writing. Even if you're not a fan of this genre, have a read as it's a fascinating glimpse into the world of operations conducted under the radar. Well done Mr Pfarrer. Easy day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, 10 Oct 2013
This book is great reading it explains a lot of the issues that have been in the political circle and why it is a good read

5.0 out of 5 stars exciting and easy to read, 5 Jun 2013
a fascinating insight into the specialist units of the US navy etc.It deals with the period both before the rise of Bin Laden and his eventual demise.
i found it very interesting overall .

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and informative, 9 May 2013
My test of a good book is did I read it as quickly as possible without missing a single word. The book passed and I will go on and research if some of the WMD info is correct.
I'll reread the book and would recommend it to anyone.
I have a huge amount of respect for anyone prepared to defend the West. And it's a great shame people slate the author when actually he gives a non biased view of how Al Q were able to gain influence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative about bin laden and al qaeda, 30 April 2013
I must point out that this book really starts talking about the operation at the 60 percent point, before that it gives a thorough life story on OBL, however don't let that put you off as it's well written and very informative.
A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seal Target Geronimo, 29 Feb 2012
This book is excellent. It is well written and very descriptive. This is a book that was very difficult to put down. I would highly recommend both the book and the seller.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, easy to read, 4 Nov 2012
It is a really good book, captivating, written in the way that make you see the clear picture of what happened not only in Abbotabad but before that. You understand how such a terrible organization was created, and see who the person behind it really was. Of course there are not many details about the night he was killed but this makes sense, I didn't even expected to read classified informations in a book. Anyway, you get enough information about it. Overall I recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written account on several levels, 9 Aug 2012
As has already been pointed out, an uninformed and politically biased rant is not a "review" and why there is a cluster of 1-star type "reviews" here.

I have just read and immediately re-read this account. Based on people who were there, Chuck Farer actually knows the subject; is better than most military authors; and his three-part book (about SEALs, Bin Laden, and the final operation) is more cunning than may meet the eye. It contrasts the professionalism of the SEALs with such bungling by Bin Laden and Al Qaeda that it's hard not to laugh. Where it gets serious and uncomfortable, is how politicians and the free world's press have dealt with and obfuscated some of the key issues. It's good to hear a clean account on things like WMD. Let alone the turmoil in Al Qaeda and exactly why Bin Laden was found.

It's a book on several levels: expect to be surprised.