5.0 out of 5 stars THE SPIDER'S BANQUET, 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: Roussel: The Spider's Banquet / Padmavati Ballet Suites (Audio CD)
I heard an excerpt from this recording on C D Review on Radio 3 last Saturday and knew immediately that I had to have it !!! This brand-new CD duly arrived with me a few days ago and I can honestly say that this is going to be my record of the year. I doubt very much if anything could displace it in the months to come. I have listened to excerpts of all the other recorded works by Albert Roussel on iTunes since I ordered this disk, and "The Spider's Feast" does seem to be quite by far the most approachable of Roussel's works, with a most delightful scenario - and above all it contains some truly ravishing music right from the very beginning. The whole thing is utterly magical. Stéphane Denève is on stunning and sparkling form and the Royal Scottish National Orchestra plays absolutely beautifully. But perhaps the greatest accolade ought to go to the the producer and recording engineer Tim Handley. The sound is ravishing - and the dynamic range is astonishing and brilliant. I would rate the recorded sound as quite the best in my entire record collection to date - it is that good !!! The Padmāvatī Suites are a good coupling but the Composer does not equal the extraordinary degree of inspired writing which he achieved in "The Spider's Banquet". It is good to have them none-the-less. I ordered this marvellous CD from Amazon.com ( UK ) for £4.68 ( post free ) - which I must rate as my bargain of the Century so far !!! I recommend this recording to you unreservedly - I am sure you will be as amazed and thrilled as I certainly am !!! Bravo to all concerned !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for it, 29 Dec 2013
Lance Edwards (derbyshire UK) - See all my reviews
Heard the Spiders Banquet on the radio and had to buy it. This recent performance is superb in all respects and excellently recorded. Don't hesitate!

Roussel: The Spider's Banquet / Padmavati Ballet Suites
Roussel: The Spider's Banquet / Padmavati Ballet Suites by Royal Scottish National Orchestra (Audio CD - 2012)