5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for all martial artists of all levels
Published on 7 Dec. 1997

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Say
Published on 10 Mar. 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding for all martial artists of all levels, 7 Dec. 1997
By A Customer
I'm constantly adding to my library of martial arts books and ordered this one based strictly on the huge number of positive Amazon book reviews which accompany its listing. I have to confirm what everyone else says -- Forest Morgan hits home with solid information that is viable for all martial artists from white belt to black belt. Although I study Taekwondo myself, I certainly have great respect for all martial arts styles and always learn something of value from each of them. The real beauty of "Living the Martial Way" is its accuracy and profound insights that apply to martial artists of all styles and ranks and backgrounds. Outstanding book, belongs right up there with the classics of this field.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to Say, 10 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
Being a classically trained martial artisit, I found this book to be insightful and certainly worth the time, money and energy to read. The Major downfall to this book, that I have never found in a true classic on this Way of Life, was the repeated insistence on the superiority of this Way of Life over the others. Still, it is a good book, but one that should not be taken too seriously.

5.0 out of 5 stars A requirement for any martial arts library, 18 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
A great book explaining the bushido and how to work to achieve honourable living. Also a great book on the physical aspects of training to be a martial warrior. A must-have for those serious about the martial arts and what the arts represent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read Manual for Every Martial Artist!, 26 July 1998
By A Customer
This is actually my second copy of this book (I've worn the first copy out!) A must read for every Martial Artist. Mr. Morgan puts together and explains so many of the facets of things that are missing in most "modern" Martial Arts schools today. If studied and learned properly the topics detailed in this book will bring the study and understanding of your art to a higher level and "Living the Martial Way" will also bring successes in all other areas of your life. Bottom line.....if you are serious about your art, you need this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars It can make you a better person, 23 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
This book is not only for the Martial Artist. The principles and topics it covers relate to current problems within society as a whole. Morality and honor are attributes that befit everyone, and this book offers not only instructs one how to go about attaining these virtues, but practical reasons why one should do so. I have recommended this book (at least sections of it) to many of my friends, and all have benefited from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great companion to any martial art., 31 May 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
'Living the Martial Way' is an in-depth and comprehensive book explaining how to integrate the lessons you learn in the dojo into everyday life. It looks at topics as varied as mind-set, choosing you art, strategy, esoteric aspects of martial arts, honour, living/training, links to eastern religion and philosophy, dignity and mastery. It is written in clear and engaging language and it is obvious that the author is passionate about martial arts and the traditional way of living that they are based on. This book in no way looks at martial arts as sport, but as a way of life that should be respected and honoured. It has plenty of great tips on developing your training and becoming a more rounded 'warrior' and makes for good companion to any martial art.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best martial arts book I have ever read., 14 Jun. 1997
By A Customer
I was thouroughly impressed with this book. I frequently go back and re-read certain chapters when I am dealing with issues pertaining to my training, both physically and mentally. This book is not about styles, but about the true spirit of the martial arts. I was most impressed with the author's view on honor. As an American, I agree that most of us look at saving face as honor. And that is why most fights start, to save face. This book totally changed the way I look at my training, the person I am trying to become, and the way I go about striving for that goal. This book is easy to read, simple to understand, and amazingly insightful. It is one of those books that make you say, "Now why didn't I think of that?" Great reading!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Warrior's Code Book, 14 Mar. 2004
All of the most poignant examples, the most inspirational information I have ever read, from dozens of books ranging from Koichi Tohei through to Carlos Castaneda are carefully compiled, and simply written in this fundamental guide for the modern warrior. Whether martial artist or not, the reader will find this book oozing with knowledge useful for anybody.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 Feb. 2006
Mr S A Milburn (Holyhead, Gwynedd United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is excellent all the way through, the author mentions everything from how a warrior should think to how eastern relegions relate to the arts. Mr Morgan explains Mushin (mind-no mind) and how to achieve it, and Zanshin.
An excellent book for anyone who takes the study of martial arts seriously, and is trying to follow the way.
Best book i've read on martial arts!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pinch of salt required, 9 Sept. 2014
ben5575 (Darlington, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living the Martial Way: A Manual for the Way a Modern Warrior Should Think (Kindle Edition)
One of the great pleasures of martial arts is the continual journey and insight you gain as you become more experienced. The more you practice, the more you see and understand. This book is a great example of this. Here we have a very experienced practitioner trying to convey the complexities and nuances of this fact to both novice and experienced readers alike. On the whole very successfully, I found a number of the chapters genuinely insightful. I have no doubt that when I revisit this book in a few years time, I will read and comprehend it completely differently.

That said the author does suffer form the myopia that comes from such focused training and career in general. I mean no disrespect by that, but rather the book looks at the world through the rather narrow lens of 'the' martial artist; from the inside out, and makes no attempt to balance this. This is to be expected, it is a book by a martial artist after all, however the author's very one sided view and general theme that martial arts practitioners represent society's elite boarders on the cultish.

Read it, enjoy it, learn from it but take it with a rather large pinch of salt. You are not a god, you are not elite, reading this book should help you realise that before it's too late :-).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›