on 6 February 2012
Previous to trying this router, I have tried Netgear WNDR3700, Asus RT-N56U and the Linksys E3200.

These three were very unstable for me. The WNDR3700 overheated and caused massive latencies on everything (2k + pings). The Asus had regular wireless dropouts on multiple computers and crashed daily. The E3200 had frequent wireless dropout and WAN to LAN throughput reduced to a mear 1mbps under moderate use (a few hours of 10mbit/s downloding).

This router, while not particularly attractive, is very stable for me. I have 3 wired clients and 4 wireless clients connected to this and all connections are very stable.

The 2.4Ghz has good range, though perhaps the throughput on wireless compared to the above routers is slightly lower.

I can get a full 1000mbps over the wired connection when accessing my NAS.

I had one issue with one wireless computer where it would lose connection every time the router auto switched to a different channel. The computer couldn't connect for a while after this also. However, once I changed the router to a static uncongested channel I've had no disconnects at all.

Also you cannot use the 2.4Ghz and the 5Ghz at the same time, but thats not a huge issue for me.

The range of settings available from the web interface is very impressive. Far more so than the other 3 routers I listed at the beginning of the review.

The print server function has a VERY limited selection of supported printers - you can check them on the TP Link website.

Very good value for money compared to other high end routers.

Update 9th July 2013:
The router is still going strong, still as reliable as the day I purchased it. It is now being used on a 50mbps fibre connection where it provides the full 50mbps WAN to LAN throughput.

Still very happy with this item.
on 15 July 2013
Not a particularly pretty box, if that's relevant to you - I don't give two s**ts personally.
Works fine with the TP-Link firmware, but with very slow USB Samba support and not many other options, and EVERYBODY loves more options.

So I immediately installed Open-WRT instead. Which went well, up until I started to configure it as a client bridge to the 300MB/s VirginMedia WiFi hub.
Long story short I ended up unable to talk to it in any way, and Open-WRT DISABLES THE BUCKIN RESET BUTTON!
No 30/30/30 sec hard reset!

So time to break out the soldering iron and populate the serial header. That with a £2 ebay USB ->TTL serial dongle (dont connect the 3.3V line) plus a TFTP server (I used the free Tftpd64-4.00-setup.exe ), and the PC set to 192.168.1.27 let me wipe and reinstall the firmware.
Now using DD-WRT and working well. Samba/USB still flakey, (PC's TCP/IP stack blue screens Win7 x64 Ult when writing anything larger than an mp3 to the USB drive), but more tinkering may improve it.
Will try an ext4 formatted HDD instead, current is an 8Gb NTFS USB stick (only because the util I have for generating ext4 partitions/drives wont talk to flash drives and I've been too lazy to sort out dual boot with Linux, although I suppose a live CD would do).

Useful info on serial/TFTP recovery with annotated photos of serial header can be found on the Open-WRT page for this router.
I found the information there to be accurate and useful, if a bit sparse. All the good stuff is there, you just have to fill in the blanks a bit yourself. Could be a bit intimidating if you haven't fiddled with this sort of stuff before.
Obviously because I'm the King of The World and all that I was fine.

Does QOS, time based access by MAC or IP, MAC cloning, routing tables, DMZ etc.
If you need maximum Tx power on the wireless you should select Bolivia as your location, they allow up to 500mW ERP, which is about 10x what any other country allows!
Beware overheating if you do that, run it with the case open or something.

All in all pretty good value, esp if on offer.
If you need more than this can offer with Open/DD-WRT installed Id suggest an ITX x86 board running something like pfSense, SmoothWall etc with a gigabit switch and a decent wifi-n USB or mini-PCI card.
Personally I cant be bothered with having a workshop* full of PCs all sucking power just for the sake of it any more, so this is fine.

Was delivered very quickly and in a massive box, comes with a not-very-bendy ~1m CAT6 cable, plus a 12V 1.5A PSU.
I intend to put the Virgin hub into modem mode and use this as the sole wifi/router , and replace both their PSUs with a single one rated at ~3A @12V for tidiness.
I'll edit this review in a couple of months when I've had a chance to really get it configured properly, only had it a few days so far.

* anyone who uses the word "workshop" to describe something that doesn't contain a lathe is taking himself too seriously.
VINE VOICEon 30 January 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A lot more thought could have been put into designing this thing. I know that aesthetics are hardly that important but there are some beautiful, elegant routers out there and you might feel a bit dumb choosing one the old boiler when you could have the beauty queen.

As a router is operates near the high end of the market and is worth every penny. I found it very easy to set up and had a strong connection virtually 10 minutes after taking the wrapper off the box. If your watching HD movies online or download a lot of data you'll be able to do it very, very quickly (assuming, of course, your provider can keep up).

If you keep your routers out of sight then go for it, but if you mount them on a wall, shelf or desk, you might want to keep visitors away out of the house.
on 22 February 2013
Well can I say I never buy something great like that? I replace with this my BT old one, you cannot imagine the difference! Before I use to loose connection and have to restart the Hub very often, with this one...I never did after month. In top of that you can replace the firmware with an openWRT one: BOOM you got one of the best rooter you could have! torrent, allert, stats, firewall,dydDNS, all you want it's there and it will work just great. Only bad thing I can say? well the 5GHz band it's not simultaneus, but for this price it's just normal, more of this it do not look very good, it's a manner of tast of curse!
on 16 May 2013
Had to replace my old faithful Dlink 615 after five years of very stable service so what to choose?

I did have a dlink 655 as a spare so I used that for a full day when it died or committed suicide.

During that day I was looking for a new gigabit router and came across this TP Link, having used them before I was impressed with the spec and the price and thank god for Amazon Prime quick delivery.

After a week’s use it has been very good signal strength is good and is stronger giving about 30% better signal then the Dlink did.
450mbs I don’t think so, but the increased signal has improve transfer speeds.

Only reason I have given it 4 stars not 5 is the lease time is only 2 hours but dedicating IP’s has made the device better.
on 6 January 2013
The package is not not bad at first glance, but is let down by a few things.

No IPv6 support so win8 can not use homegroups.

Does not mention it is a cable router.

Install CD does not find the router.

End of life product so no updates will be released.
on 1 March 2012
This is a very capable router for the price and the throughput was above average.
If you have a cable connection then this is a good choice if on a budget. Persoanlly think it is on par with most £100 routers on the market such as Netgear and Cisco Consumer(LinkSys).

Could also be good for geeks as you can load OpenWRT firmware on it at your own risk !

Good
1) Wi-Fi signal was pretty strong for consumer grade kit compared to other kit in use.
2) Web Admin Interface clear,concise & fast but router does need rebooting a lot during configuration.
3) Wired Gigabit ports was a plus in my set up ( Great if you have a NAS,Server, AppleTV etc near router )

the not so good....
1) I really wanted "Dual Radio" Most consumers will not be able to use 5GHz mode as many devices do not support it. I really wanted two networks 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and have iPads/Macs on 5GHZ and older devices iPhones/Wii on 2.4Ghz.

2) European 2 prong power supply and no adapter...damn annoying as these are rubbish with adapters but replaced with a suitable 12v 1.5A power supply which i had anyway.
on 18 October 2013
Its a shame you cant operate the dual band at the same time, this would be a killer feature.

Very stable router with Openwrt firmware and adds so much more features - openvpn server, samba server etc.

3 year warranty is great!
on 7 November 2012
I've been using this router since October and it does its job really well.

I've been using 6 WiFi devices and 3 more wired devices at the same time and it performs decently.

I would definitely recommend it.
on 7 February 2014
I bought this router as the one I received from my ISP was rediculous (2.4GHz wireless frequenceny only, and a really old router model that had been repurposed for use with cable connections. Even though 2.4GHz itself does not have a wide enough band to carry a signal capable of delivering anything over around 16Mb/s). The router I previously would drop signal occasionally and I had trouble reconnecting to it. I had put this down to either poor signal or interference. After monitoring the 2.4GHz channels for a time I found that there wasn't much noise in the zone so figured it must be down to a the poor signal from the router, which would be expected for such an outdated piece of equipment that has been modded for latest wireless protocols. With that now clear I had looked to purchase a low-cost alternative that would provide a strong signal and a higher (5GHz standard) frequency, as the distance from where I connect to where the router is placed is not far and I could get a router with good transmission and intensity, I believed I could use 5GHz which is more prone to signal loss due to collision with dense materials (such as brick). Sadly, this wasn't exactly the case, although I no longer lose the wirelss signal with theTL-WR2543ND, the strength is not always great, and I get lower transfer speeds on 5GHz than 2.4GHz due to packet loss.

I had also purchased the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter network card for my system at the same time, thinking that I would get a good solid connection. While there has clearly been an improvement, with transfer speeds previously around 2-3Mb/s up to between 6-15Mb/s, it was not the dramatic improvement I had expected. When testing my connection with a wired connection I can acheive transfer speeds of around 50Mb/s.

All in all, it solved my problem, but I put that down mainly to the fact that the router I had previously was absolutley useless.
Just for reference, the router I was previously provided by my ISP (PlusNet) was a Technicolour TG582n.

See one answered question