4.0 out of 5 stars Good but slow
With all the USB devices we have today, this is a godsend. Not only does it give you two USB charging ports, it is surge protected and still gives you a mains to use!

Published on 4 May 2012 by AETAaAS

1.0 out of 5 stars wont charge ipad and iphone together
Disappointing as it had a low usb output. Charging an iphone 4s and ipad 3 together won't work, this is the reason I and I am sure many others will purchase it.
Shame, great idea.
Published on 6 Jun 2012 by Jez TH

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but slow, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Masterplug SRGAUSBPB-MP Surge Protected Mains USB Charger (DIY & Tools)

On the downside, it delivers a very slow charge. Typical chargers for smartphones these days are rated between 700-1000mA. This unit was rated at 1000mA but definitely does not charge like one. I suspect 1000mA may be the maximum delivered across the two ports and it is 500mA each. It takes over 5 hours to fully charge my Samsung Galaxy Note whereas the original charger (rated at 1000mA) does it in about half the time.

It's great if you are going to charge devices with smaller batteries (the Galaxy Note has a 2500mAh battery whereas most other phones are around 1500-2000mAh and so, would not take as long). It would also be good for other light devices (Kindle, MP3 players, etc.) or for people who tend to leave their devices to charge overnight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and reliable USB charging, 10 May 2013
Paul Madge (Uk) - See all my reviews
I bought this Masterplug USB charger to charge my iPad and Samsung Galaxy W phone at home and whilst travelling in hotels etc. It is compact and avoids carrying two chargers and provides additional versatility in that you have two USB ports plus a 13amp socket too. On taking it out of the packaging one immediately gets an impression of a very well made and attractive product.

There has been a lot of concern about third party chargers/adaptors recently, but Masterplug is very well trusted name and this one is compliant with BS 5733 and EN 61643-11. There is a blue LED charge indicator which remains lit when mains power is switched on to the unit whether a USB item is being charged or not. Additionally, there is a white LED to signify that surge protection is active. Whilst I agree with some other reviewers that these LEDs can be a bit bright, I find them an asset as they catch my eye and I'm much less likely to leave the charger in a hotel room etc.

This charger is not much wider than a normal 13 amp plug so it shouldn't obscure adjacent sockets or switches like some power adaptors do. It seems to work very well with both my iPad 3 and Samsung Galaxy W phone plus a host of other items - in my opinion it's hard to fault. It should however be remembered this is a USB charger and it effectively mimics the power output of a USB port on your PC which is less powerful than an iPad charger for example, so, it goes without saying charging times will be longer in some cases than using the dedicated charger.

A white version of this product is also available.

In summary, this USB charger looks and feels like a good quality product from a trusted UK brand and performs well - recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mains USB Charger, 17 Mar 2012
This device is a well made adapter plug that does just what it says. It allows continued use of the 3-pin plug whilst charging up to two USB devices at the same time. The surge protection is a valued function. I looked at cheaper items performing a similar task, but decided to pay a little more for a reliable device. I think this was the right decision and am very pleased with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surge protected USB Plug, 10 May 2012
Mr. A. Mark (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
What a great idea!

2 x USB ports, each of which is powerful enough to charge an iPad. Straight away gets rid of 2 plugs from the jumble of wires beside my bed!

The lights are a little bright and unnecessary, giving quite a strong glow at night - almost like a night light!

While my iPhone (4) and iPad (2) charge perfectly with this device, my iPod touch (2nd gen I think) displays an error message saying it's an incompatible accessory and does not support charging... it does seem to charge anyway though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only recognised as a USB port - not a full Charger, 23 Aug 2012
I have one of these and it's fab for my S3 and wife's iPhone 4. We leave them charging overnight and it seems to charge quickly enough.

From internet discussions (related to RasberryPi mostly) I've found that this 'charger' doesn't join the data pins so most devices will think it's just a normal USB port instead of a 1000mA charger - which means they won't draw more than 500mA from it (even though it says it can handle more).

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 USB charging ports PLUS a 13-amp socket in a simple plugin device., 10 Mar 2013
My main power socket for the home computer is at desk level - this little box gives me two desk-level USB charging points for my phones and the such (which are, of course, live even when the computer is switched off) but doesn't cost me a 13-amp socket in the process - indeed it gives me a surge-protected socket into which I plug my 8-way adapter for all the computer bits. Best of both worlds!

(This is my second one - the first one failed - the USB ports stopped working - but it was such a handy little thing that I decided to give them a second chance.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent bit of kit and charges an iPad too, 23 Feb 2012
With multiple devices all requiring powering and charging on the kitchen work top, all vying for a limited supply of power sockets this plug is absolutely fantastic. I had thought to begin with that it wouldn't charge the iPad but upon trying it again this evening it'll even do that.
The surge protection is a bonus.
The little display lights are a bit unnecessary but this is just a tiny negative that doesn't even take a star off my rating.
Ace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really good item, very convienient, 14 April 2013
Mr. J. Crook (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered this plug as I tend to have a lot of items on charge that use USB such as: Samsung S3, HTC 8X, PS3 controllers, Android tablet, Kindle etc to name a few.

The item arrived very quickly and well packaged, it looks superb.

I run it with a 4-way extension lead plugged in that isn't surge protected as this plug is which is a bonus.

It works as described, however sadly it will not charge my Asus Transformer Prime tablet, I assume the tablet wants to draw more power than the USB sockets can provide. It is a bit of a let down but for 10 I cannot really complain and so it only loses 1 star for this. I do still highly recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars wont charge ipad and iphone together, 6 Jun 2012
Shame, great idea.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cannot charge an iPad and iPhone simultaneously, 16 Oct 2013
Dissapointed. It has a high pitched whine from the internal transformer. It is unable to charge an iPad plus iPhone at the same time - which was the reason I bought it.