Format: Audio CD|Change

on 14 November 2013
Its use in the the film Midnight in Paris was the spur to buying this splendid CD compilation which includes the "delicious" 'Si Tu Vois Ma Mere' by Sidney Bechet. It has been playing in my car for weeks. As I battle rush hour traffic it calms, soothes and amuses with the elegant sounds Jazz from the Thirties and Forties and the fabulous 'Take Five' recorded in 1959 and a huge hit two years later (the best selling jazz single of all time). We had some of these tracks on LPs as I grew up and I have always loved their use in films by Woody Allen. The CD of 21 tracks has the exact historical recordings from 16 of his films. The CD booklet has notes including an interview with Woody Allen about his love of Jazz, thumbnail posters and cast lists of the films concerned as well as recording data. Brush up your rhythm Foxtrot, dip'n twirl with this soundtrack.

Si Tu Vois Ma Mère - Sidney Bechet (From Midnight In Paris)
Spring Will Be A Little Late This Year - Red Garland (From Whatever Works)
Lil' Darlin' - Count Basie (From Mighty Aphrodite)
My Ideal - Art Tatum & Ben Webster (From September)
Easy To Love - Billie Holiday (From Anything Else)
If I Had You - Benny Goodman (From You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger)
I Got Rhythm - Teddy Wilson (From Celebrity)
Out Of Nowhere - Coleman Hawkins, Benny Carter & Django Reinhardt (From Deconstructing Harry)
I Let A Song Go Out Of My Heart - Duke Ellington (From Melinda & Melinda)
Penthouse Serenade - Erroll Garner (From Mighty Aphrodite)
Stardust - Louis Armstrong (From Stardust Memories)
I'm Getting' Sentimental Over You - Tommy Dorsey (From Radio Days)
Moonglow - Artie Shaw (From Alice)
I've Heard That Song Before - Harry James (From Hannah And Her Sisters)
Sophisticated Lady - Duke Ellington (From The Curse Of The Jade Scorpion)
Manhattan - Carmen Cavallaro (From Mighty Aphrodite)
Cheek To Cheek - Fred Astaire (From The Purple Rose Of Cairo)
Liebestraum #3 - Django Reinhardt & Stéphane Grappelli (From Sweet & Lowdown)
I Can't Get Started - Lester Young & Oscar Peterson (From Anything Else)
The Way You Look Tonight - Erroll Garner (From Alice)
Take Five - Dave Brubeck (From Mighty Aphrodite)
on 2 February 2014
This is one of my favorites! I am assuming you like jazz / swing if you are looking at this album in the first place. Just buy it! The selection of tracks on this album is perfect background music for socializing with friends. I also listen to this whenever I need to relax and focus such as at work (noisy open plan office), driving in traffic, cooking, etc.