Most helpful positive review
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
sparky metal gotta love it
on 6 February 2014
Cleaver bit at the bottom
Two different types of metal,
Rub them together, get a spark,
Do it near anything flammable,
And voilà FIRE!!!!!!
Pyrophorics are substances that spontaneously ignite below room temperature.
Iron is a pyrophoric and it reacts with oxygen, normally we see as rust.
When you rub the two pieces together, you increase the speed of the chemical reaction(oxidisation).
The smaller the piece that comes off the greater its surface area is in comparison to its total size.
This gives you maximum effect because the surface will oxidise faster than it can dissipate the heat caused by the reaction.
That is what u are actually seeing as sparks, steel dust igniting as it reacts with the oxygen.
And look at that science has made FIRE!!!!!!