5.0 out of 5 stars Real Tunes
As an avid listener of Godspeed, Explosions, Mono etc. and always looking for the same excitement as when I first heard music from the genre, this band and album really made me sit up and listen. What strikes me most is that they play tunes that are immediately memorable and don't become too generic.

If you like any of the above, get this album as you won't be...
Published on 24 Sep 2007 by John R

2.0 out of 5 stars Mogwai meets Jean Michel Jarre
In most types of music, you have a leading edge, which does exciting and innovative things, and you have a body of groups that make music in the same vein. Some of those groups tone down the excitement, as it were, by smoothing out the edges of the music. This is one of those groups.

I imagine there is a market for this and possibly you're part of that market...
Published on 13 Feb 2008 by Dr Zen

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Tunes, 24 Sep 2007
John R (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

If you like any of the above, get this album as you won't be dissapointed.

Thanks also to Amazon for their'Try this if you liked...' because without this I would never have come across the band or album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Post rock in bite sized chunks., 3 Nov 2006
Fal (Sligo, Ireland.) - See all my reviews
I can't recommend God is an astronaut enough. What they play could be described as instrumental but it is so much more than that, it flows with mellow grace into intense hair raising 'rocking out' territory with such ease. They've been compared to Mogwai but condensed into bite sized chunks, this does not dilute the effect of their sound, rather it just doesn't take as long to build up to the cresendo.

The only thing I'd say the cd lacks (and this doesn't affect the album as a stunning piece of music) is some more multimedia videos. Since the band play their live shows in front of a big screen showing videos synchronised to their music, it would be nice to feature this on the album but I guess we'll have to wait for a dvd. Until then find out if they're gigging nearby and go.

PS. The End of the Beginning is GIAA's first full length album, not a single as mentioned in another review.

5.0 out of 5 stars a dream while awake, 9 Oct 2006
Alberino Del Vecchio "al old" (rome, italy) - See all my reviews
i can't believe i'm the first person to write a review on this cd. these guys are in another world. want to hear something totally different? put this cd on, put your headphones on, sit back and lose yourself. one recommendation: do not listen to this while under the influence of some sort of artificial stimulant. you might not come back. and their single "the end of the beginning" is a must. do yourself a favour, get this, now.

4.0 out of 5 stars More of the same but fine by me, 14 Jun 2012
God Is An Astronaut only came to my awareness a couple of years ago by which time I was already a few years too late to really jump on the band wagon. My daughter introduced me to them, I watched some stuff on YouTube and then bought "The End of the Beginning" and I loved it from the off, even though all the tracks seem to blend into one, after a few listens you can tell Coda from Route 666. All the tunes are well crafted and hypnotically moving, you just get into a groove with a GIAA album.

Anyway, I'm not reviewing The End of the Beginning but All is Violent, All is Bright which was the next album they released and I have to say, it is business as usual, in fact some of the tracks, especially When Everything Dies sound like they were recorded for the previous album and didn't make it. This tends to make me drop the album from five stars to four, if I had never heard The End of the Beginning I would probably have given it full marks. However, saying all that, I really love GIAA's sound, an album of theirs really sucks me in and I enjoy listenning to it from end to end. Highlights of this album are tracks 2,3 and 4: "All is Violent, All is Bright", "Forever Lost" and "Fireflies and Empty Skies", they are five star tracks, the rest probably being four star.

From the subtle opening of "Fragile" to the familiar rhythm of "When Everything Dies" I fully enjoy listenning to it, I can play one GIAA album after another and never get tired of them, if you are reading this review to start getting into them I can not recommend them enough. It is hard to say who their brand of electronica is akin to, maybe a little of M83 and Sigur Ros in their more upbeat moments, maybe a bit of Tangerine Dream maybe a bit of Boards of Cananda in their more upbeat moments.

What the hell, they are a triumph of independent music and should be applauded for that, go buy their albums and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars headphones and then heart strings, 8 Jan 2009
It just ain't out there at the moment, you know the sort of music that tugs at your heart. If my brother mentions Kings of Leon to me one more time...I have followed the progress of Mogwai and other post rockers for some time. This offering is amongst the best I've heard in recent times, largely due to the fact that I immediately felt immersed in the music, esp on a Friday night after a couple of drinks with the head phones. I challenge you to have a heart that beats and dislike this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Music, 17 May 2013
I bought this for my boyfriend, he thinks it is great if you like this kind of music defiantly a good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars super duper awesome :D, 17 April 2011
Great album, besides the title track, 'fireflies and empty skies' and 'when everything dies' are great songs.
This was a great fix as i was looking for a more up beat explosions in the sky kind of thing. def reccommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: All Is Violent, All Is Bright (2011 Remastered Edition) (MP3 Download)
I like this. Great guitar work and melodic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Mogwai meets Jean Michel Jarre, 13 Feb 2008

I imagine there is a market for this and possibly you're part of that market. If you find some postrock just a bit too heavy or abstract, this is for you. It's a lot like Mogwai meets Jean Michel Jarre. I'm not kidding. If that sounds like something you'd enjoy, you'll enjoy this. It's not horribly bad (and the two stars are sort of two to three, depending how I am feeling) but it doesn't rock. It plods. It plods nicely, but it doesn't take off. It's quite shoegazey, but it's not My Bloody Valentine. There's no edge. It's more Slowdive. With more Enya. I see this record linked to from a lot of heavier records -- even stuff like Isis and Pelican. But this is a million miles from that. It's a lot less furrowed brow, a lot more nice cup of tea and a biccy. You could probably meditate to it. See, if you are part of the market for this, that will sound very appealing. If not, you'll be suitably put off.

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst post-rock album I've bought, 27 Oct 2012
Unfortunately I agree with the other reviewer who gave this album 2 stars. This has to be the most boring and dull post-rock album I have bought to date. It's pedestrian. It does the job, but nothing more. There's nothing new here in this bland album to boast about at all.

Here's a trick - go through the album, listening to the first 5 seconds of each song. But for a couple of exceptions, EVERY song begins in the same way. I can see that some people love this band, but I just found nothing in this album to like. There are a couple of okay moments - 'Suicide My Star' is an okay track, but it's more the type of post-rock track I would expect to hear in a feel-good BBC documentary, and not the sort of innovating work that attracted me to the genre.

1 star: tepid and forgettable music.