5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read for an excellent price
I whole-heartedly recommend this book. It's a great, short, read for a good price (a couple of pounds). I think I heard about it in the 'Guardian' newspaper. You could google it to see if the article comes up. My interest was piqued. I bought the book and I'm glad I did, especially since I'm in a mixed-race/mixed-culture/mixed-religion marriage with kids!
Published on 24 Feb 2012 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Good value....but you should read her other novels....especially the Flea Palace
Published 1 month ago by Anthea Gurkan

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read for an excellent price, 24 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Happiness of Blond People (Penguin Specials): A Personal Meditation on the Dangers of Identity (Penguin Shorts/Specials) (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Made me think, 15 May 2013
Read this having no idea that my thinking about immigration would be challenged in some way. Found it to be immensely readable and at the same time thought provoking. Will be reading it more slowly again. And will read some Rumi too. At nearly 70 it is only too easy to be content with previously held views. Will have to be wary of this tendency so thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking and enjoyable, 8 Oct 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this short ebook. The author's style and use of language, together with her vivid perceptions of cultures and the lives of others within those cultures make her books both an exciting experience and a journey into much broader appreciation of the world we live in. This download can be read in less than an hour, but remains in the mind for much longer.

4.0 out of 5 stars An effective plea, 27 April 2013
A well written and thoughtful essay on angst born of immigration. We are too quick to condemn from a well rehearsed repertoire of media influenced ideas. The ideology of being better than those who are different sadly denies us the greatest opportunity to reflect on our own experience and learn from others

5.0 out of 5 stars Happiness of Blond People, 25 April 2014
Refreshing read, I really enjoyed it. I read it some time ago a really fast read through and I will read again and again

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick read, 18 Oct 2013
If you like Elif, get this. Approaches cultural boundaries-imaginative and real ones in a different way. It should be read by everyone and anyone whether or not they think they are multicultural

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for Thought!, 8 Oct 2013
An intelligent, eloquently-written essay focussed on the changing face of the globe, and the dangers of stereotyping 'others' who are different to ourselves, how we are all interconnected in some form, and how intercultural dialogue needs to step away from the political arena.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, thought provoking!!, 15 Jun 2013
This is the first time I have read anything by Elif Shafak after seeing her interviewed on BBC.
This was an interesting debate and I shall seek more of her work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 26 Oct 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars A most read ..., 16 July 2014
SunnyB (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a look at how society and the individual's perception of happiness is shaped and influenced, both by our cultures and politics.

The author explores how Westerners view their cousins in the East and vice versa and how this colours our view of those of different beliefs, living in our midst and potentially what might be the consequences.

Definitely worth taking the time to read and would highly recommend.