• Trio

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 26 May 2005
I read this book over two days and couldn't put it down. It is a lovely read although moving at times and made me cry at the end. In a way it is like 3 stories as you move between the different families yet all the main stories begin and end together. Any book set in Manchester has extra relevance for me and that is one of the things I enjoy about Cath Staincliffe's book. Even when I finished the book I still keep thinking about the stories which feel very real. I would highly recommend this book.
on 23 April 2005
This is a deep and feeling novel of three daughters born to mothers who where unable to keep them in a society different from today (early sixties). The stories of the three girls and both set of natural mothers and families are interesting and easy to follow. It covers a range of issues of having children and the effects of relationships of all involved. A very good human interest read. Would recommend.
Cath Staincliffe decided to write about adoption after tracing her Irish birth-parents and learning that she had 7 living siblings. The result is Trio, a book that explores the many aspects of adoption. In the story Joan, Megan and Caroline share the same room at St Ann's Home for Unmarried Mothers in Manchester, each one giving birth to a baby girl on the same May day.

Trio covers so many of the aspects of adoption to the thoughts of the young mothers who left the home without their babies, the lives they lived bearing the consequences; the lives of the women who adopted the babies, their backgrounds and the bonds formed with the babies and the lives of those babies who grew up and wondered what their origins were.

The book is not sentimental but it is clearly written with a lot of empathy for all concerned. My only complaint was that to fit everything in, essentially nine women's unique stories meant there were big jumps in time which could be a bit distracting.
on 17 April 2012
OK - firstly, this is the first review I have ever written. Secondly, when Cath Staincliffe set out writing this book she must have had me and my generation in mind - though maybe not my gender. (I am a male, fast approaching 60.)
My own mother was an illegitimate child given up, I suspect reluctantly, to another family to avoid shame for one and provide joy for another. And, of course, I lived through the late fifties and sixties and so this carefully set trio of tales just resonates so well. Having said all that, my daughter is going to read it and I know she will love it too.

I don't want to say much about the story-lines, but I will say I was gripped throughout, falling in deep empathetic love with each of the far from perfect central characters. As I turned the final pages I kept sobbing, sometimes with sheer joy and relief and sometimes with deep sorrow. When I thought I was all racked out of tears the next turn of a page would provide a fresh irony or resolution that set me off again. Staincliffe's powers of observation are acute and provide such realism. If read only as an historical account it is fascinating. If you let go and immerse yourself (and why else do we read novels?) you will sink and rise and be ultimately bouyed.
on 22 June 2011
This was a wonderful and gripping book about three women, their daughters and the daughters adpotive mothers. It was beautifully written and a really good read. I wanted to know what would happen to each charcter and the whole book was written with genuine emotion and a deep understanding. Absolutely fantasitc.
on 26 August 2013
I have never read any book about adoption and the effects upon the lives of those affected by this, my curiosity was aroused for two reasons, first I have an acquaintance who was adopted as a baby and who has spent their entire life feeling rejected and insecure, comments made by them are accurately described in this book. The second reason was having read other Cath Staincliffe books this appeared to be departure from the blue murder format which I have to say I enjoyed having been a fan of the t.v series.
I was impressed by the complete change of subject matter and her ability to get under the skin of the adoptees and how the experience affected different people manifested in their behaviour and life choices. Also chilling description of the destructive influence of religion upon people, churches made the rules for others to live by with cruel and disastrous results.
At times this book was heartbreaking at other times uplifting. The author's own experience of adoption has clearly had an impact and one wonders whether this book has been a way of exploring the issues and making sense of her own situation. Adoption works for some but not for others and society needs to think very carefully before assuming that this is the answer for all children.
on 13 January 2013
I got involved with the characters from the start and cared about them. Sometimes it was frustrating to move from one to another just when you were engrossed in their story. It got me thinking a lot about how we bring up children. My mother has just died, as an old lady. I know what she meant to me and these stories helped me to explore that. Cath writes very sparingly but she builds a picture very easily. I like her descriptions. She understands people well. I would have preferred chapters. They give a rise and fall to the reading and help me to put it down and get to sleep.
on 22 January 2013
The book is set in Manchester in the 1960's and follows the lives of three young girls who meet at a Home for unmarried mothers. The book tells the story of the girls and their adopted babies. Beautifully written, couldn't put the book down.
on 6 January 2013
I couldn't put it down, fascinating insight into the different aspects and attitudes surrounding adoption, and it's effect on the parties involved.
on 23 March 2014
This book was the most gripping tale I have read in a long time and it was very personal to me asI was adopted Asa baby by an unmarked mother alas my meeting with my birth mother was not good and my adoptive parents were elderly and regarded me as a devils spawn but I have made it through life and have a wonderful family of my own I would recommend this book to all females as it is enlightening and gives insight in to what happened to young girls who got into trouble in those days how very different it is today I think the author was very sensitive and showed great compassion to her subjects lovely book sorry that I have finished it and will read again later on