on 7 December 2005
"Building on line Communities with phpBB2" is one of the few technical books on its kind that keeps up with what it promises. That is to offer “practical guidance for someone to get the most from phpBB”.
The book provides practical examples and hands on advice on issues like installation and configuration, administration, development of themes and styles, creation of MOD's and more.
Beginners with basic technical knowledge will benefit the most since they will be able to start deploying their on line community after the first couple of chapters.
As a teacher and consultant to several businesses and organizations i have found this book to be a valuable resource to anyone aiming to build and grow an on line community
on 20 January 2008
This book is a perfectly good reference source to have at arms reach if needed. Perhaps I came at it from the wrong end - I installed, configured and customised my phpBB before buying the book. Having got the board up and running, there is nothing in the book that I didn't already have from simply working through the sections in the configuration panel and posting/browsing on the excellent support fora at phpbb.com. That's not a criticism of the book in any way - and I've found myself picking it up to check specific things as I tweak my configuration. Just be aware that if you did your homework before installing and you have played around with your board it's unlikely that you will find much in the book that's new - detail perhaps but probably not much that's fundamental.

Just a personal view....