4.0 out of 5 stars Cleverly constructed haunting story
Set in 1952 in Yorkshire, a young couple move into a rented flat. Philip is the new, young doctor while his new wife Isabel struggles with the isolated life with no friends or family and Philip's frequent absence due to the demands of his job. Things take a turn to the spooky when, waking from under the warmth of the old greatcoat Isabel finds in the flat, she hears a...
Published on 1 Feb 2012 by Ripple

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor old ghosts getting this gig
I am a complete wimp but my flesh did not creep, and the only thing I was haunted by after finishing this book was the sound of my brain going "Was that it? Where's my ending? Why do we now have a four page afterword by the author?" Also: "THIS COULD HAVE BEEN SO GOOD."

The afterword is presumably to pad out a novella which Hammer, for reasons known only to...
Published on 7 Aug 2012 by Kat

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsession and possession in post-war Yorkshire, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hardcover)
I started reading this yesterday and finished it just half an hour ago, in a cold bath (it was hot when I climbed in, but I couldn't stop reading until I'd reached the end). Dunmore's prose is restrained, perfectly-pitched and incredibly powerful. Simply one of the best, near-perfect books I've ever read.

1.0 out of 5 stars A terrble book, 27 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hammer) (Paperback)
As I first started reading, it wasn't to bad. This was supposed to be a ghost story, at the end of the book he is still still alive or still seems to be alive! This is nothing like The Woman In Black, (at least she was actually dead). This book is a ghosty take on a woman who is having a intense relationship with a so called 'ghost'.

I don't recommand this book at all!

No stars for plot

No stars for charcters

4.0 out of 5 stars Is there anybody out there..., 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Paperback)
This is a well-crafted & satisfying ghost story from Helen, who was one of a number of established authors commissioned to write this novella for a new series of books from Horror specialists Hammer - now happily resurrected for a new generation.

The story takes place a few short years after WW2, & concerns newly-wed central character Isabel (& doctor-husband Philip) & what happens when they relocate to a Yorkshire village so he can work as a country doctor at the local practice.
As with many women of those times, Isabel is left at home (in their rented flat) to do the household chores while her husband spends long hours away, & she finds it difficult to adjust to her new life. She dreams of something more exciting & fulfilling, & one day walks out of the village & into the rural wilds, where she discovers an abandoned WW2 airbase. She also discovers an old WW2 pilot's greatcoat hidden away in their cold flat... & soon finds herself being transported through time.

This story for me has echoes of Tom's Midnight Garden (& the author herself reveals this was one of her inspirations when writing), & even reminded me in some ways of the old Twilight Zone TV series.
It's an easy read, has lots of period flavour & atmospheric charm, & also a nicely-imagined unnerving sense of unreality.
If you hear any bumps in the night after reading this, you may not think of them in quite the same way again!

5.0 out of 5 stars The great coat, 18 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hammer) (Kindle Edition)
Excellently unusual story. Couldn't put it down. Difficult to work out the ending ! A bit confusing at times with the characters but worth sticking to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Greatcoat (Hammer), 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hammer) (Paperback)
I found the book very disappointing after the write up I read. I was looking forward to a good read but I was disappointed with the main character. I also found it a little confusing, it intimated certain occurrences but as a reader you were always left wondering if it actually happened or was just her imagination. I found it frustrating, like reading through treacle not sure of what was reality and what was not.

2.0 out of 5 stars Flat and not very inspiring, 4 Jan 2013
Mrs (Clavering, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hammer) (Kindle Edition)
That's it really, I don't have much to say about this book as it just didn't really grab me. I am fairly new to the ghost story genre, I have others to try which have better reviews so I will persevere. Dark Matter I did read recently and that left me with the hairs standing up on my neck - this did not. Read it for Book Club, otherwise would never have picked it out of a line up.

Disappointing.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing., 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hammer) (Paperback)
Love a good ghost story and the involvement of Hammer and a quote from a the Times review drawing comparisons with "The Woman in Black" led me to believe this would be a creepy read. Unfortunately it isn't remotely spooky and with it's thin premise it outstays it's welcome. Would have made a better short story or short radio drama. For a good "post Woman in Black" ghost story try Dark Matter by Michelle Paver it is both elegant and frightening.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing in the end, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hammer) (Paperback)
I had been wanting this since first seeing it, being drawn in by the cover. When I saw it was down to £2.99 I waited no longer. Although I got in to it easily enough and enjoyed how well it was written, the story itself left me very disappointed. It had the potential to be great, from the moment the ghost tapped on the window, but it never really got off the starting blocks. It was never really scary or haunting considering it's supposed to be a ghost story and the end left me thinking 'is that it?'

I think Dunmore could have gone further with it, she never truly explored the storyline to its full potential and as it was it was over all too soon. Very disappointing indeed.

2.0 out of 5 stars the greatcoat, helen dunmort, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hammer) (Paperback)
I was actually quite disapointed, I had read THE SIEGE and think she is a brilliant writer, but this story is a difficult subject to write about.I did not really engage with the wife, and it could have been so romantic and dramatic, but it did not touch me, although the ending was how I imagined it would end, it still could have been more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but not scary, 5 Nov 2012
SPOILERS

I read "The Greatcoat" while on holiday, after deciding I wanted something spooky to read. Sadly, it didn't deliver what I expected, especially after reading the three pages of fantastic reviews inside. Admittedly, it wasn't a BAD read, but it wasn't good either. I found myself resenting Isabel and also wondering how on earth she managed to go on for so long without having any insight in to what was happening to her. Also, it was NOT scary AT ALL! A sexy airman arrives to keep you entertained while your seemingly boring husband spends all day and night tending to his patients... How spine-chilling... He then holds your child while looking imperceptibly menacing, oh no! Considerably disappointed, but more clued up on the early 1950s than I was before.

‹ Previous | 1 2 318 | Next ›