5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and amazing series of films
The 'Up Series' represents one of the most fascinating and unusual uses
of film in cinema history - a documentary life-long chronicle of the
lives of 14 people starting at 7 years old, revisiting them every seven
years through age 49 (so far).

While I could quibble, wishing for a bit more depth here and there
(especially with the women,...
Published on 27 Feb 2011 by K. Gordon

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Delayed delivery by close to 2 weeks, first 3 DVDs played, the reminder have no sound.
Published 5 days ago by Godfrey Luyombya

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique and amazing series of films, 27 Feb 2011
K. Gordon - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The 'Up Series' represents one of the most fascinating and unusual uses
of film in cinema history - a documentary life-long chronicle of the
lives of 14 people starting at 7 years old, revisiting them every seven
years through age 49 (so far).

While I could quibble, wishing for a bit more depth here and there
(especially with the women, where there's a bit too much emphasis
on love and marriage at the expense of all else), it's really an astounding,
moving, frightening and uplifting document. There's no way to watch
this remarkable series of films without reflecting deeply on one's own
life, and how you have changed (and stayed the same) over your own
lifetime.

While Michael Aped deserves every bit of credit he's received for this
amazing piece of cultural anthropology, it's important to note the first film,
7 Up,was actually directed by Paul Almond, and Apted was a that point a
researcher for the project.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give me a child until he is seven and I will give you the man, 18 Nov 2009
Mrs. M. Forey (Oxfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 7-49 Up [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
The saying that I have chosen as a title was the impetus behind this series. A group of children from widely different social backgrounds was filmed and interviewed for television in 1964 at the age of seven, and thereafter every seven years. The first interviews in the series are hilarious, for the most part, though some are poignant. We found it compulsive viewing: it is fascinating to see people - and society - changing and developing, and to discover something of how their lives turned out, and one comes to care about what happens to them. One disadvantage of the format is a certain amount of repetition at the start of each new programme, as new viewers needed to have it explained to them what happened in the past, but by spinning out our viewing over several days we minimised the nuisance - in fact we came to look forward to some moments, like the little boy who didn't like greens. We also enjoyed the absence of background music. The interviewers kept out of sight and did not compete for attention with the subjects, who were all interesting in their different ways. The first programme was black and white, so it showed television developing too. It was quite a heart-warming programme: one could respect and like all the subjects, varied though their lives and personalities are, and in spite of the considerable social gap (discussed thoughtfully, without rancour on one side or snobbery on the other)the final impression is of the basic decency of human beings, and the unity of human experience in the journey through life. It was not clear at the end whether another set of interviews will take place in 2012: I do hope so.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Up Series, 30 July 2009
Riseleyj (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 7-49 Up [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched the first three series every seven years whilst growing up in England. It was most enjoyable back then ~ and some of the children involved, particularly Neil and Tony have always remained a vivid picutre in my memory. That is why I was most excited when I managed to track down a copy of 7-49. It is just how I remembered it. Extremely entertaining although quite pertinent at times with it's portrayal of the class difference and social issues.
My only minor critism in each series would be the constant flashbacks to previous interviews. I realise that this was only meant to be viewed every seven years ~ therefore we would need to be reminded of previous questions and subsequent answers given by the children. I chose to watch 4 series in one week ~ so naturally by the fourth series of flashbacks I was growing a little tired of the same footage!
That said I am finding the series extremely entertaining and love watching them all finding their place in society!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent documentary, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: 7-49 Up [DVD] (DVD)
I was enthralled by this mammoth documentary. Every episode left me wanting and waiting for the next. I originally saw only the first (7 Up) when it was released in 1964. I then left the UK and went to live in Switzerland for 30 years, so I had only read about the subsequent programmes.

I am now 80, living in New Zealand where it has recently been shown at our film festival. I had to order it for myself immediately afterwards, and I am finally up to date.

Like some of the participants, I am not altogether sure what the director set out to achieve - was it an effort to discover if the Jesuit saying, "Give me the child...." etc. is valid? Or was it to explore how the British class system predetermines character? Or both?

The over-riding impression I got from the series was that the family, in every case-study portrayed - not background or class - has the most influence on one's life. And it is this revelation (especially in view of today's fragmented and fast diminishing family life) that has made the whole series so worthwhile for me.

I most probably will not be around to see the next episode, but I earnestly hope that it will take place in the allotted seven years' time.

Thank you for this extraordinary and brilliant series, and well done to all concerned.

5.0 out of 5 stars How do you make God laugh? Tell him your plans, 11 Dec 2012
Nat Whilk (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 7-49 Up [DVD] (DVD)
Take ten boys and four girls, all born in 1956. Take some from wealthy homes, and some from middling, and some from poor, and some from local authority care. Take some from the town, and some from the country; some gifted, and some not; some extrovert, some introvert: assemble the most diverse group that you can.

When they're seven, ask them about their hopes and dreams, their joys and worries, their likes and dislikes, their doubts and beliefs. Revisit them when they're fourteen, and again when they're twenty-one, and every seven years thereafter. Learn how they've changed. See hopes fulfilled and hopes disappointed. Watch some become the adults that their childhoods promised, and others develop in ways that you never anticipated.

Watch careers blossom and fail, relationships grow and wither, British roots torn up and foreign roots established. Watch the coming of children and grandchildren. Listen to lessons learned in the university of life. That's all there is to it: that's how to make what must surely be the most fascinating series of human interest documentaries ever produced.

I think that almost any viewer with a brain and a heart will find these discs as moving and enlightening as the work of a master novelist. If, like me, you're a near contemporary of the 7 Up generation, there's the added fascination of comparing and contrasting the ups and downs of your own life with what's unfolding on the screen. But whether you're twenty-six, fifty-six or eighty-six, this wonderful collection will entertain you as much as any thriller serial and - what's more - leave you with a blessedly deepened awareness of humanity's essential goodness.

By the time that you put the final disc back in its box, I can almost guarantee that you'll understand and enjoy your fellow men and women a little better than you did before, and love them a little better too. There can be no higher praise.

(A footnote: the latest documentary in the series, 56 Up [DVD], is omitted from this box set but is available separately.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating!, 31 May 2010
Mr. A. P. Smith "Forgeron" (Charente Maritime) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 7-49 Up [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I remembered this series fondly from when I was a teenager onwards but have been living in France for some years now. When I saw that the series had been released up to 49-Up, I had to have it! I have watched up to 35-Up so far and find it absolutely fascinating - this little cross-section of the British population with their individual joys and sorrows, ups and downs. At times funny, at others touching, even deeply moving. OK, they do repeat a lot of the stuff over and over, so if you watch it all at once it's a bit overwhelming but it was only meant to be seen once every seven years, so they had to remind you of what had gone before. Also it's only a small cross-section and they are from extremely different backgrounds but their character development is fascinating and I absolutely love it and feel very close to the people in it. Even the commentaries from the film-makers on the making of the series are interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars damn fine documentary, 13 Mar 2009
Mr. Paul Byrne (Wicklow, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 7-49 Up [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Had been looking for this long-running documentary series for some years, so, delighted that it's finally available at a box-set. Pretty much unsurpassable in its portrait of childhood, growing up, life through the 50s, 60s, and beyond...

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia tinged with hope, 3 Sep 2011
This review is from: 7-49 Up [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I watched the first three episodes (7, 14 and 21) as they happened but had not seen the remainder (28, 35, 42 and 49) and so this boxed-set enabled me to catch up and get ready for the next one (56) in 2013.
The programme begins in 1964 when a group of 7 year olds from a wide variety of backgrounds is brought together and interviewed, the results being sometimes sad and sometimes hilarious. Younger viewers may find some of the remarks made by the 7 year olds "inappropriate" but they should be viewed in the context of Britain in 1964.
There is someone for everyone to identify with (in my case Bruce is the closest) and the penetrating examination of how people from different backgrounds progress through life is riveting to say the least. From the uber-confident Cockney, Tony (now a taxi-driver straight out of central casting), to the heartbreakingly insecure Neil, who wanted to be an astronaut when he was 7 but now struggles to cope with living amongst others and has had a rough time... perhaps the clue to his personality is that wish, all those years ago, to be alone in outer space? Then there is the East End girl, Jackie, who has taken knock after knock on the chin and still, somehow, manages to keep on going. There is the rejected boy from the children's home who ends up with a loving and close-knit family in the suburbs of Melbourne, Australia, frolicking in the sea with his teenage children or riding horses in the outback; the grammar school girl from the East End who turns from a somewhat morose teenager into a tower of strength in her local community; the boy brought up on a remote Yorkshire farm who goes on to become a professor in the USA.
In their own way all the characters are amazing and yet absolutely normal; they are all of us and I would urge anyone with compassion and an interest in who we are to watch this series in order to get ready for the 2013 episode. Make sure that the hankies are to hand though... tears will be shed!

5.0 out of 5 stars simply wonderful, 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: 7-49 Up [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
I first stumbled upon this wonderful documentary in the 1980's. I was immediately hooked. It was with great excitement that every 7 years the day would come when the next chapter in the lives of these unwitting participants would be revealed. Now you won't have to wait that long and its all available in this great box set.Others have complained that the same footage of previous episodes is repeated with each new chapter.Personally I have never tired of this, and anyway it's small fodder to the overall experience. This is no Big Brother! It's a compelling continual 7 year glimpse into the lives of those engaging and often hilarious 7 year old children that we were first invited to see, and how they have evolved over time. Their day to day trials and tribulations,tradgedies and triumphs,are revealed to us often very poignantly and painfully. A soul searching triumph,nothing remains hidden for long. There is however an air of protectiveness for themselves and others especially later in the series. As time has moved on, some if not all quite clearly would rather run for the hills than once again come face to face with that monkey on their back. Bravery and loyalty and perhaps good old fashioned manners,commit them to you an I. I am grateful that at least this voyeur be a humble guest into their sojourns. A bittersweet triumph.I defy you not to be moved!

5.0 out of 5 stars 7- 49 UP and AWAY !, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: 7-49 Up [DVD] (DVD)
Probably the best doco I have ever watched - simply brill and as a Kiwi who lived in Oxford for 20 years it was manna from Heaven. Well done Michael Apted and team.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

7-49 Up [DVD]
7-49 Up [DVD] by Michael Apted (DVD - 2011)