Size: YES - I have diabetes|Colour: 1 box of 50 Strips|Change
Price:£7.99+ Free shipping

on 16 July 2012
I decided to buy my own blood glucose test kit because the NHS is trying to stop people doing home testing. According to my GP, this is to avoid anxiety over the results. Personally, I think there will be more anxiety caused through not being able to ascertain the state of one's blood sugars, but I think it's probably a case of penny-pinching.

So, which kit to buy? The branded units are sometimes reasonably priced but the cost of the consumables tends to be extortionate. Having looked at a few on Amazon, I eventually decided on the SD CodeFree kit and I haven't been disappointed - especially with the price of it and the consumables. I would also point out that if you are the diabetic person ordering this kit, it isn't subject to VAT and this is automatically deducted from the price at source. The kit is supplied by Home Health UK Ltd. and delivery of replacement strips, etc. is usually next day.

The kit is contained in its own slim carry case, which is small enough to fit into a shirt pocket. The meter itself, which is extremely easy to set up, is very light and compact with a large, clear display of the results. It's also very fast. It takes a split second to draw in the very small droplet of blood required and then starts an instantaneous 5 second countdown to the result. It's also graduated in mmol/l for the UK market.

The finger pricker is also very light and easy to load. A quick pull on the plunger makes it ready for use and a press of the side button completes the action. There are five settings to suit all types of skin and a separate cap is included for testing on parts of the body other than the fingers.

Software is also available from the manufacturers' website as a free download so that meter results (it holds up to 500 in the memory) can be downloaded to produce graphs and charts for your doctor. This gives a visual picture of any trends - good or bad. The only downside is that the USB cable for connecting the meter to the PC is rather expensive at around £20.00.

One other thing concerns meter accuracy. Whenever you purchase these kits do you ever wonder how accurate they are? Well, when I was recently looking around the diabetes.co.uk website, I found a link to a report on just this very subject. It was carried out by a Swiss Laboratory and they tested about 20 meters of differing manufacture. Apart from two, which were horrendously expensive to buy, the CodeFree meter came out top of the list in comparison to all those that can be purchased through the normal outlets.

So, in the end, I really did make the right choice.

Codefree Blood Glucose Monitor/Monitoring Test/Testing Kit+Strips+Lancets+Case - in mmol/L
11 comment|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 December 2011
It is quick and easy to use. I have type 2 and have been told no more strips will be available on prescription. I changed because the cost of these replacement strips is a lot less than my previous one.Very pleased with the product up to now.
on 9 February 2016
When I got the Codefree meter and strips I noticed there were a number of negative reviews that reported wildly varying results from consecutive tests done within a few minutes. I wondered if that was the norm and if satisfied users were simply unaware of a problem that could actually render the meter useless! To find out I took four consecutive fasting readings each day for twenty days using two batches of strips. The results are shown below.

In the leaflet supplied with the strips, the manufacturer states that a test they carried out with patients showed that 81% of readings were within 5% of the true value. Only 63% of the readings I took over twenty days were within 5% of the true value*. We can see from the results how the readings fluctuate. Every reading in a set of four should be the same! In addition to the fluctuation, the meter wasn't correctly calibrated and gave readings that were on average too high.

To put the results into perspective, let's take an example of a woman who is prediabetic** and on a particular morning has an actual fasting blood glucose level of 6.5 mmol/L. Very simply and roughly, there is a 50/50 chance that the Codefree reading would be in the range of 6.2 to 6.9. To express it another way, and more importantly, there is a 50/50 chance that the meter would give a reading that is somewhere OUTSIDE of that range. It is quite possible, therefore, that the meter could indicate to this prediabetic woman that she is "normal" one morning and has Type 2 diabetes the next!

My initial thought was to abandon the Codefree and find a better make. However, that might not be so easy! The latest industry standard for home meters requires that 95% of all readings come within 15% of the true value. For example, if your glucose level is 8.0 mmol/L an hour after a meal, the meter could indicate 6.8 on the downside or 9.2 on the upside and still be considered clinically accurate! The accuracy is permitted to fall even further for the other 5% of the time. As might be expected from such a low standard my Codefree was within it. A different meter could be significantly worse and still be within it!

The reviews suggest that the accuracy of a glucose meter can vary considerably not only between makes but also between individual meters of the same make. This is a simple test that can be done to see how well a meter is performing. Take two consecutive readings. Divide the highest by the lowest. Subtract 1. Multiply by 100. Repeat the test on several occasions. This can be at any time of day and on different days. Average the results. Ideally you want a figure of under 8. Under 6 will be equivalent to the accuracy claimed by the makers of Codefree. Above 12 and it's likely to be below the minimum industry standard***

At a figure of 9.7 my Codefree wasn't accurate enough to properly assess the effect of individual meals or foods on blood glucose levels. It simply wasn't possible to tell if an unexpected reading was the food or the meter! I now only use it occasionally for postprandial readings. On the other hand, the meter has been useful to assess the effect of changes in diet. I have taken two consecutive daily fasting readings and averaged them over a week. By comparing that figure week by week it is then quite easy to tell if the diet is making a difference to blood glucose levels. Using the meter in this way to monitor a trend over a longer term overcomes the calibration error and to quite an extent the fluctuation error as well.

FASTING BLOOD GLUCOSE RESULTS USING CODEFREE METER AND STRIPS

Day 18 5.5 6.4 6.3 5.6
Day 19 6.6 6.0 5.7 6.1
Day 20 5.8 6.7 5.7 6.3

NOTES

*In the absence of a lab reading every day, and to put the meter in a favourable light, I took "true value" to be the average of the four daily readings minus the calibration error. 50/80 readings (63%) were within 5% of the true value.

** 6.1 - 6.9 mmol/L fasting is prediabetic according to UK health authorities

***This test assesses meter fluctuation only and does not take into account any calibration error that might also be present.
on 1 June 2013
The are not supplied by my Doctors any more and normal makes are a real rip off! I purchased the machine which is as good if not better than the dearer makes and these strips that I use all the time, they are good
on 19 September 2013
test strips at a decent price. Having had my allowance stopped by new GP, I started using an Accu-chek meter, but the cost of strips makes your eyes water. They told me they were stopping them as they didnt recommend people check themselves regularly ( or at least the practice accountant does).

I have saved a small fortune switching from Accu-check to Codefree.

My diabetic nurse told me my last readings were very good, so good in fact they questioned my diabetic status. I told her it's because I go against the doctors (accountants?) recommendations, test daily and adjust my diet to suit.
on 28 March 2014
As a diabetic I used a different brand of meter/strip to self monitor my blood sugar levels regularly. However the NHS decided that as I am ONLY taking Metformin+having HBIAC tests twice a year they would no longer provide this on free prescription. I found that to buy my existing brand would be hideously expensive+so I had a choice of either not to bother at all or find a cheaper alternative to carry on self testing. So I bought the Codefree monitoring system which comes with meter,10 test strips+10 lancets.This system is very compact ,easy to use+reliable so far.It has quite a lot of features but I only use it for basic self testing.
The ongoing cost ,after the initial purchase of the kit for £13 ,is £7 for 50 strips+£5 for 100 lancets.I have cut down on the number of tests I do and really use it now on a random test basis to check periodically that I am on track in between HBIAC blood tests.
on 27 October 2012
I originally purchased SD Codefree strips to see if they matched some of the better known brands in performance, as they had them beaten on price.
They work very reliably, and at the price, I am more than happy. A value for money product. This is my second purchase.
on 13 September 2013
i have purchased it for my father- easy operation, nice guidance, hassle free- can be used within seconds. measurements are truly accurate
on 1 April 2014
as it says on the packet. does the job as it should.well packed. liked the 2 pots in one box idea. means half of them arent exposed to the air before they need to be
on 26 December 2013
as a diabetic these strips are less than half theprice of the more well known ones and work just as well fast delivery will be buying more in the future.