5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible, realistic wisdom for difficult situations.
Published on 9 Oct 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to Coveys usual standard
I am an avid follower of Coveys work. If you already have his other popular works don't bother with this audio. If not 7 habits and First things first are excellent.
Published 13 months ago by Mr Luke Verrall

5.0 out of 5 stars Sensible, realistic wisdom for difficult situations., 9 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This book does not contain the latest methods, the newest techniques or any quick-fix solve your problems in a day advice. What it does contain are truths that have stood the test of time and still ring a bell in the innermost places. He focuses on natural laws and principles that, faithfully sowed, will reap the desired results if the said desired results are better relationships, mutual trust, lasting changes. If you want rapid results, superficial temporary changes, this book is not for you. If you think the solution lies in finding out what's wrong with the system or your opponent, this book is not for you. If you are willing to admit that the problem might be you and that solutions may take time to work out, this book will prove to be a god-send. I plan to re-visit this book often in the process of trying to put these principles into practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly excellent, 9 Oct 2003
DAVID-LEONARD WILLIS (Thessaloniki Greece) - See all my reviews
I have concluded that the root cause of all the ills of the world is that humans do not live their lives according to the Golden Rule of doing unto others as you would have others do unto you. The Golden Rule is the common thread of all religions and can therefore be considered the unifying principle for every human on earth. It is probably the one concept that everyone can buy into but also one goal that everyone would admit they could and should do better. For myself I know that if I truly lived the Golden Rule I would feel much more pain at the unacceptable gap between the rich and the poor because as one of the rich I would see myself or my loved ones as one of the starving and would want to do something about it. The fact that I don't do anything about it - or not enough - means that I am just a wimp. Just a lot of hot air. I say one thing but do another. My failure, multiplied six billion times is what has turned this paradise we inherited into the crisis-ridden planet we live on today. It was a strange and wonderful discovery, therefore, that this book has been written to help me - and you should you be so inclined - to come closer to living the Golden Rule through what the author refers to as Principle-Centered Leadership.
A second conclusion is that we need more of the Mother Teresa style of leadership. She spoke very little, rolled up her sleeves and just waded into the slums of the poorest of the poor, while my leadership style has been to keep at a safe distance and say "Hey, someone should do something about this." The big difference between Mother Teresa and me is that she lived the Golden Rule while I just mouth it. Principle-Centered Leadership is the book I was seeking to help me change from a talker to a doer.
Principle-Centered Leadership will help us resolve dilemmas that cannot be resolved using conventional approaches. Our social conditioning leads us to quick-fix solutions such as cramming; we may get away with it for an exam or two but such an approach would be disastrous on a farm where natural laws operate. There are no quick-fix solutions for a marriage breakdown or for a teenager in crisis where only principle-centered solutions work. Manipulative strategies might work for a while but will eventually result in a loss of trust. We usually think in terms of learning new skills rather than showing more integrity to basic principles. Principle-Centered Leadership introduces a new paradigm - that we center our lives and our leadership of organizations and people on inviolate principles very much like gravity is an inviolate law of nature. These principles constitute the roots of every civilized society, family or institution that has endured and prospered. Changing habits, developing virtues, keeping promises and living in harmony with principles of fairness, equity, justice, integrity, honesty, and trust is what this book is all about. Subordinating oneself to higher purposes and principles is the essence of highest humanity and the foundation of effective leadership. Adherence to these principles uplift, ennoble, fulfill, empower and inspire. Covey believes that violations of these principles cause societal decline. Principle-Centered Leadership is based on the reality that natural laws cannot be violated with impunity.
We tend to live our lives in compartments, each with its own value system and expectations. We wear our Sunday hat but take it off the other six days of the week. Centering life on correct principles is the key to developing the internal power we require to realize many of our dreams because we are more balanced, unified, organized, and rooted. Principle-Centered Leadership and living cultivates four sources of strength - security, guidance, wisdom and power, giving a foundation to all relationships and decisions and a sense of stewardship over time, talents, money, relationships, family and ourselves. Because we feel secure we are not threatened by change and criticism. Because we are guided we discover our mission and can write the script for our lives. Because we have wisdom we learn from mistakes and seek continuous improvement. Because we have power we can communicate and cooperate even under stress and fatigue.
People on the low end of the guidance continuum lead selfish, sensual or social lifestyles while those at the high end have lives centered on true principles from inspired and inspiring sources. People at the low end of the security continuum show extreme insecurity while those at the high end have a high sense of worth, self-esteem and personal strength. People at the low end of the wisdom continuum base their thinking on distorted, discordant principles while those at the high end show good judgement, discernment and comprehension. People at the low end of the power continuum appear powerless, insecure, and react to circumstances while those at the high end are proactive, make things happen, and take responsibility for their feelings, thoughts and actions.
It is difficult to imagine who would not profit from this book because Principle-Centered Leadership affects all aspects of our life and brings back harmony to the different compartments in which we live. If your marriage needs attention this book will help. If you want to improve your business performance, you will learn some useful lessons. If you want to be a better employee this book will give you plenty of ideas. If you just want to become a better person, there is no better place to start than absorbing the lessons in Principle-Centered Leadership.
dwillis@afs.edu.gr

5.0 out of 5 stars Real wisdom for real people, not the latest fads or techniqu, 9 Oct 2000
By A Customer
I am only one quarter of the way through this book but so far, it is without a doubt the best book of it's kind I have ever read. This guy talks sense, something that rings true at the deepest level. Not techniques or fads or methods or solve your problems in a day but real solutions for people willing to face the challenge to become better people in order to influence those around them. I look forward to not only finishing the book but re-reading it often as I endeavour to put it into practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Principle centred leadership, 2 Nov 2013
Love this book and wish I had read it 20 years ago.

I definitely recommend this to anyone in or aspiring to leadership roles

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to Coveys usual standard, 12 July 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars good book. no issues and would use company again, 20 July 2014
quick delivery, good book. no issues and would use company again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchase, 11 Oct 2010
I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to this CD and an execllent purchase and great value for money. Thanks you very much

5.0 out of 5 stars self motivation, 26 Dec 2009
Good material recommended for those who seek a productive change in their personal and professional lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good common sense, though a bit repetitive..., 8 Feb 2012
Covey's books are always full of a good helping of common sense laid out in a practical manner and this one is no different. I found it a little repetitive in places, but there was enough in between to make it a good read none the less. Covey has taken a the solid basic concepts of Frankl and made them accessible to the modern age and applicable to modern lives.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 25 Nov 2011
Tedious and unimaginitive. The ideas have been much better presented elsewhere. May appeal to a US audience, but not for me.

Principle-Centered Leadership