5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful!
Published on 3 April 2012 by sharon hegarty

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical of it's genre.
Published on 19 July 2012 by B. Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful!, 3 April 2012
I cannot praise this book enough! What must have taken Jenny months to write, has taken me 24 hours to devour- I simply cannot put it down. It is gentle, yet gripping. You care about the characters almost from page one, and I cannot decide which I enjoyed more- the modern tale of Rosie, or that set in the 1940's of her Great Aunt Lillian. They entwine together so beautifully that you eventually end up loving both characters dearly, and truly feel as though you are life long friends of both. I can only hope to write as wonderfully as this- this is a writer who writes with such warmth and depth, and with such skill that you cannot help but to become a fan! I congratulate you on creating a story that almost has a heartbeat all of its own, and any person who reads this will not be disappointed. Many, many thanks for taking the time to write this superb story! xx

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical of it's genre., 19 July 2012
B. Robinson "Wyres" (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
If I could have given this 3.5 stars that is what it would have had. I found this book sweetly nostalgic and was just what I needed to immerse myself in. I agree that it's very typical of it's genre but felt that it was well written and humourous. I really liked Edison the little boy who befriended Rosie. I found the modern story with Rosie and the back story with Lilian gelled well. Sit back and grab yourself a coffee and a few chunks of chocolate or a bag of chocolate limes and get swept away with the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweet and tasty read!, 29 Mar 2012
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
After reading (and loving) my first Jenny Colgan novel last year, Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe, I was really, really keen to read to read her brand new novel, especially as it sounded like it was going to be about sweets... how could you go wrong?! The cover is fantastic, red with the teal foil highlights for the lettering, and I think it is certainly going to be a book that people will want to pick up and find out more about, especially thanks to that tantalising title! I have to say I found this book better than Colgan's last release, and that's certainly saying something considering how great that book was, and I ploughed through this book in just a few days because I was in love with the characters, and the interesting way in which it was written, it really did keep me hooked. I have to say as well, whether you're a fan of sweets or not, do read this book because it's a joy!

The book tells the tale, funnily enough, of Rosie Hopkins, and her sudden move from London to the countryside where her ailing, elderly Aunt Lilian is living alone, and needs Rosie's help. Rosie is reluctant to leave her job as auxiliary nurse in a busy city hospital, and boyfriend Gerard behind, but does so for her family, especially mother Angie. When she gets there, she finds Lilian's sweet shop closed and it looks like it hasn't been open for a while, and Lilian is in a fairly bad way too. Rosie struggles to get used to country life, every knowing everyone elses business, but befriends the local doctor, and ends up with stroppy local patient Stephen to tend to. Rosie is determined to get Lilian's shop ready for selling, and sets about making it look brand new, but ends up falling in love with it herself. I loved Rosie straight away, she's the perfect heroine for a book, and is so loveable, there's nothing at all to fault about her!

Rosie is all about her family, which is a good message to send out, and helps Lilian out even though the pair barely know each other. I liked that Rosie didn't take any nonsense from her elderly Aunt, and found the pair to be quite the comedy duo as the book went on, with both girls giving as good as they got! I especially enjoyed reading about Rosie's escapades with the locals in the village, some hilarious moments did make me laugh out loud, and I found it so easy to read. Lilian herself was a great character, clearly troubled by events that happened in her past, but reading her unfolding relationship with her niece was fantastic, and I really liked the stroppy old woman by the end of it! These two were definitely the main characters, but there were a few others who were important too, such as Rosie's hideous boyfriend Gerard, just an awful character and I could not understand for the life of me why Rosie let him treat her that way! Moray the local doc was lovely, a really friendly face for Rosie in the book, and I loved their scenes together, and the medical issues that came up were well written too, I enjoyed the realism of those.

Now to the sweet shop. Well what can you say? Colgan has clearly done her research (lucky her!) about all manner of sweets, old and new and so many make an appearance in the book that it makes for fantastic reading! As well as mentioning the sweets in the shop, Colgan has introduced extracts from a book Lilian wrote about sweets, which has real recipes in it too if you fancy trying those out, and they sound amazing! I found the extracts at the beginning of the chapter were funny and enlightening, and added something a bit different to the book. I also really enjoyed the descriptions of the sweet shop, from the fancy chocolate boxes to the big glass jars lined up on the shelves... it sounded like heaven! Another thing I want to mention about this book was the way it was told. The majority of it was in the present day with Rosie and Lilian, but throughout the book, there were flashbacks to Lilian's youth in the 1940's, and what exactly went on there is nothing short of heart-breaking, and very emotional to read. Colgan easily manages to transport you back many years into that time period, and it was great to have a background for Lilian to explain her in the present day, I found these parts of the book so touching and incredibly well written.

Overall, this book was a joy to read, and I really can't recommend it enough. From the enticing, bright front cover that immediately draws you in, you're then sucked into the world of Rosie and Lilian and the glorious sweet shop, as well as the things in the women's lives too. There is a great cast of characters, from the youngest villagers through to the oldest, and a moody young man thrown in to boot, and I loved every single page. Colgan manages to combine this story with Lilian's youth with ease, and I enjoyed each part of the book equally. This book delves deep into the heart of family, love and sweeties, and I defy you not to crave at least half of the things mentioned in the book, especially in a candy striped paper bag as you're reading along! I miss the days of proper pick n mix, and this book will definitely bring that all back in your mind, and more! A fantastic novel that I know will be a surefire success, and it thoroughly deserves to be! A real treat of a read!

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly plesant, 12 July 2012
I brought this book based on the large number of 5 star reviews and because I enjoy Jenny Colgan's tweets. Overall I was disappointed with my choice. This book is perfectly plesant, inoffensive and an 'easy read' but have others have said predictable. I would add twee, poorly researched with occasionally clunky plot twists to the description of this book. For example, Rosie, newly arrived in the village to care for her Aunt, on the first morning without even checking on her Aunt, goes for a walk, gets lost and then gets involved in some barely credible veterinary emergency involving the local lady of the manor and GP. Rosie tries out bike riding for the first time in years and then crashes into the vegetable patch belonging to a character who significance becomes clearer at the end of the book.

In future I will restrict my reading of Jenny Colgan to 140 characters at a time (she is very good on twitter) and look for a book which provides me with a more thought provoking read. For example, I really enjoyed 'Me before you' by Jojo Moyes again recommended by Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, Great for holiday, 31 May 2012
This review is from: Welcome To Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop Of Dreams (Kindle Edition)
Having located this book through one of Amazon's many recommendations I decided it looked perfect for my upcoming holiday. The cover itself is beautiful and intriguing and once I had it I just couldn't wait to get started! Let me just say firstly that this is the first Jenny Colgan book I have read and I was not disappointed. The story was magical in it's own way and I agree with some of the other reviews. The storyline was predictable in parts but made the book no less enjoyable even if it is from a chick lit perspective that has been covered in similar ways. If you enjoy that style of writing and story telling and love sweets then this will be heaven for you. I liked the optimism of the story and how the past impacted the future and you can see that clearly throughout. Things aren't always perfect in life and I think the experiences of her aunt in this book highlights this well. The flashbacks to the 1940's were lovely and really built a context throughout the story as they stop and start so I found myself not only wanting to find out what was happening in the present to the main character ,Rosie, but also her aunts story. The writing style was quirky and simple, funy and sad(in parts) however that is the books charm. I really enjoyed it and was sad to finish it. The sweet descriptions and recipes that appear throughout the book were fabulous and I cannot wait to try and make Coconut Ice as well as Peanut Brittle and the other recipes included. I liked the Idea of this and it flowed into the book perfectly only adding to it's charm. Overall, I would say it is a light, fun, enjoyable read which most will enjoy and I will definitely be looking up more of her books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed!, 13 May 2014
So many glowing reviews and a book in my favourite genre, I expected a lot from this book, so perhaps my disappointment would have been less had my expectations been lower ...
The setting didn't quite work for me. With the exception of Peak House it didn't sound like Derbyshire and the village as depicted in the frontispiece was straight out of Milly Molly Mandy, where as the one the author writes about sounds more like a market town.
Some of the characters were lovely. I liked the irascible old aunt, the doctor and Edison, the little boy. I thought Gerard, Rosie's boyfriend was very well drawn and though annoying he didn't become a stereotypical villain. The same cannot be said of the evil dentist, the evil vegan lady and the evil Cee-Cee who never rose above caricature.
And my biggest disappointment SPOILER ALERT: the AWFUL consummation scene. How could the heroine go from a mild mannered sweetheart to drunken "grinding" Ugh! And then when her lover treats her SO badly immediately afterwards why on earth does she still fancy him? It is rare in a romantic comedy to find oneself longing for the heroine to ditch the hero but I did.
However there is much to like, particularly the descriptions of the sweetshop which were lovely.

3.0 out of 5 stars All you ever wanted to know about confectionery..., 4 Jun 2013
The author obviously has an irresistible sense of mischief and fun and this is shared in her writing. I know she reads on-line reviews so here is a genuine response to finishing this book to the last page. I was loaned this one by a friend who insisted that I would enjoy it.

This is not the first Jenny Colgan book I have read and it does remind me so much of 'Meet Me At The Cupcake Cafe'. I cannot blame her for repeating a successful formula for her 'best sellers', but such predictability makes it less enjoyable for me and would deter me from buying future books of hers.

I know this will not be a popular observation, but I felt that maybe Rosie's character was pushed into the bedroom scenes against the author's original intentions and wishes. The narration on these was beyond awkward and I wondered if the publisher had insisted that by page 'whatever' there had to have been some 'adult behaviour'.

Whatever magic Jenny Colgan captured on the journey from 'Do You Remember The First Time?' to 'The Cupcake Cafe' seems to have been lost here in Lipton's lethargy.

2.0 out of 5 stars too sickly sweet, 17 July 2012
I've got to stop taking as read that an amazon 5 star is as good as the reviews claim
I'm afraid this book was like an overdose of sugar for me - like your eyes were too big for your stomach when it came to going to the sweet shop, being able to choose what and as much as you wanted, scoffing too quickly and living to regret it hours later when the sugar rush kicked in.

Self inflicted goo

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and reminds you of forgotten sweets, 1 April 2012
I was anxiously awaiting Jenny's new book and was definitely not disappointed. The book follows Rosie Hopkins as she goes to care for her Eldery Aunt and helps her to restore the sweet shop back to its former glory. She learns a lot along her journey in Lipton.

A Fantastic read that will have you searching for an old fashioned sweet shop :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Nov 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed the Cupcake Cafe books, but the Sweetshop of Dreams is not a patch on them. Plot is very predictable. Characters are not believable. The Derbyshire setting is unrecognisable, although I have lived in Derbyshire all my life. I really wonder if Jenny Colgan has ever been to Derbyshire, let alone gained any understanding of the geography of the area. There is also an obvious lack of research into the nursing aspects of the main character's life. The diary sections are irritating and unnecessary, apart from being printed in a different font which is not as clear as that in the rest of the book.

This seems like a book that's been thrown together in a rush, using the elements the author found successful in her previous novels. Come on Jenny - you can do better!