on 15 October 2008
Let me begin my saying that such a low price for 101 songs is great value in any case, but when around 95 of the songs are brilliant, it's bargain basement stuff.

This is a wonderful collection of country music hits. It is fair to say that the majority of tracks here are from the golden age of country music, but interspersed throughout the album are a few catchy modern tracks that make the collection beautifully balanced, allowing for a smoother, less overwhelming experience for the modern listener. Many of the tracks are instantly recognisable, with all the massive hits there, "The Gambler", "9 to 5", "Always on my Mind", "Ring of Fire" to name a few. But there are also a few hidden gems here, melodically and lyrically, that aren't nearly as well known, and it is these that make the album so impressive.

For the country music veteran (which I am most certainly not), this album is no doubt superfluous to your collection, but for someone fairly new to country music, this is a fantastic starting point well worth investing in. Or maybe if you just want a casual album to brighten up a car journey, this album is perfect.
0Comment57 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2008
I was bought this as a Christmas present by a relative who knows I like country music .... but a relative who didn't appreciate how much country music I have in my collection! Out of the 101 tracks on this 4CD set, I probably already have about 50 on other CDs! But gathered together like this, it makes a superb varied mix collection for the car!

For someone first dipping a toe into the exciting world of country music, this collection is hard to beat - it's got loads of classics fromthe likes of Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Tammy Wynette, Glen Campbell, George Jones, and Kenny Rogers, interspersed with some newer artists like Steve Holy and Rodney Atkins.

There are couple of oddities that stop me giving it 5 stars - a very nasty edit and fade to the great Brooks & Dunn track "The Long Goodbye", the inclusion of the odd "Ballad Of Jed Clampett" (the theme song from old comedy show "The Beverley Hill Billies") by Flatt & Scruggs rather than something like "Foggy Mountain Breakdown", and two tracks from distinctly average Hayseed Dixie but only one from the great Willie Nelson!

So, a great start for new comers to country music and a good set to keep in the car. And marvellous value!
22 comments35 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a decent budget collection of well known country hits, ideal for people who are just starting their country collections, and want to sample a wide variety of artists and material.

It contains all the obvious material, Johnny Cash with `Ring of Fire', Kris Kristofferson with `Me and Bobby McGee, Dolly Parton with `9-5', Glen Campbell with `Rhinestone Cowboy', etc, etc. There are also some lesser known hits, and covers of well known material by lesser known bands. These are a bit more hit and miss than the acknowledged blockbusters, but are generally worthy and listenable.

The collection concentrates on material from the 60's to the present day, so misses out on some great early tracks, there is no Hank Williams, Hank Snow or Bob Wills to be found here, which is a bit of a pity. Even so, it is a great collection, and for the money being asked, well worth it. 4 stars.
on 4 January 2011
forget the albums advertised on the tv channels at £40plus, this has every hit you've ever heard of, it's like a time machine , superb, a must buy highly recommended.
on 15 February 2011
This is a high-quality country music compilation that lives up to the title of 101 country hits. The following list is some of the country hits available on this expansive four cd set:

Amazed-Lonestar
I Need You-Leann Rimes
I Love A Rainy Night-Eddie Rabbitt
Would You Lay With Me (In a Field of Stone)-Tanya Tucker
Leaving on a Jet Plane-John Denver
If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body Would You Hold it Against Me-Bellamy Brothers
Stand By Your Man-Tammy Wynette
I Will Always Love You-Dolly Parton

This compilation is worth purchasing if you are open to listening to classic as well as modern country and/or you are an open-minded music lover that likes to collect various artist compilations from around the world.
I would probably have bought this in 2007, the year of release, despite having so m any tracks already, because it's such a great compilation. I had no money to spend on music back then, and by the time I did, this compilation was out of print. More recently, I found a used copy in top condition so I snapped it up.

This set is a collaborative multi-label effort, with tracks from EMI as well as Sony/BMG and maybe others too. This means that you get tracks together on one compilation that you would normally find only on different compilations.

Being a UK compilation, there is an emphasis on artists who have established their popularity with British fans, but there are some less obvious selections here too.

Whether you have a huge country music collection (as I do) or just like to dabble in the music occasionally, this set has a lot to like about it.
on 3 September 2010
I love this CD. It has all my favorite tracks on it and some I had not heard of before.
on 22 September 2013
Amongst the predictable inclusions here is Bobby Bare's version of Green Green Grass Of Home and a reminder that it was Bare who cut the original demo of a song which was picked up by Johnny Darrell,then Porter Wagoner and later Jerry Lee Lewis -this is how Tom Jones found the song and will be forever associated with it
Really if this was a 25 box set there would be people complaining of who was missing.
I don't expect to find Peggy Little here yet she had at least 3 hits on the country charts including what may have been the first version of Son Of A Preacher Man and Norma Jean who was Dolly Parton's predecessor in the Porter Wagoner Show had over a dozen
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2012
I am a devout country music fan and this ticked all the boxes. Don`t think I could have asked for a better description than I could have got on the box. I am very happy with it and love listening to it.
on 6 September 2011
This is one of the best country compilations cds I have bought.

Lots of great hits and old time favorites by well kown country artists.

Very good price and well worth the money.