4.6 out of 5 stars1,509

I've used this as my main "non standard" CPU cooler for a while now.
It's a good choice for many users, a: Moderate over clockers on a budget, b: Quiet pc fans
Another advantage, it can be fitted to the board without taking it out, and it's multi socket compatible

This is one of the best bang per buck cpu coolers out there
Do check the measurements of the cooler though, they are:
Total height: 136mm
Width: 90mm
Depth including fan fitted: 76mm
Clearance from base to first fin (ie for memory clearance): 36.4mm

It's a decent size for a tower cooler (certainly bigger than a normal stock cooler) I've not had problems with memory clearance either (but double check for some of the larger heatsinks on some ram modules)

Pros:
+ Good performance, and excellent thermal cooling (for a tower 92mm unit)
+ Outperforms stock coolers with ease, well made with a good number of fins to remove heat from the CPU
+ Can be fitted to the board without removing it (take note for cases that don't allow mobo access to the back plate)
+ More compact size allows fitting to micro atx cases (some 120mm tower units might be too big for your case)
+ Takes a standard size 92mm fan, so easy to replace the fan if needed (I avoid custom heat sinks that don't take normal fans)

Cons:
- Supplied fan is decent, but there are better alternatives for quite pc fans (it's not hugely noisy at lower rpms, but not the best solution)
- I would use your own premium thermal paste for the best thermal performance (lots of choices out there)

This is my "go to" cpu cooler for most builds where I am not doing extreme overclocking (but maybe some) For heavy over clockers you might want to look at the 120mm fan units (make sure it will fit your case though) The CM 212 is a good bet, but there are lots of alternatives around from many makers

For quite pc builds this is also a very good choice, though I tend to replace the fan with a Gelid 92mm silent (either the 3 pin normal fan or a pwm unit) The fan supplied is ok though, just not as quiet as I would like for builds of this type. It's a pwm fan which has universal support, but do check if you are replacing a fan on an older board.

I have this installed on a few AMD FX systems no problems either with the 6 or 8 series processors, and you can overclock quite a lot more than v the standard cooler. If you are going to push things hard though I'd suggest a 120mm unit.

For the money this is a very decent cooler though and one of the best I've used for the asking price, good performance, easy to clean the fins and replace the fan too.
on 2 March 2012
The Short n' sweet

This cooler is quiet. But it's very tall. ( > 158.5 mm above the processor is required )

Access to the underside of the Motherboard is needed.

The Good. The Cooler is quiet and narrow. I had a small mother board to work with.

for eg these wouldn't fit. Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler with Dual Mount Support And Nexus Low-7000 R2 Low Profile CPU Cooler : LOW-7000 R2 Yet both are quiet and efficient.

This Coolers width = 77mm with the supplied fan fitted, without it's 51mm.

The height of the pipes means it clears ram which on smaller Motherboards can be an issue. Since this was the problem with the install I undertook today, I'll add the proviso that I swapped the fan around so it sucked through the fins rather than blew, as it would have been a tight fit against the 'tall' finned ram fitted.

I could have made it work - although I would have had to ( c/o Heath Robinson ) fixed the fan to the cooler without using the supplied bracket.

Swapping the fan around from the front to back - and in this case from blow to suck made more sense, as the cooler is designed for a double fan set-up anyway, ( and the kit includes mounts for a second fan - not supplied ) This meant air movement was kept front to back as I was fitting a front fan ahead of the hard drives.

Mounting to the Motherboard is more demanding than the bog standard click fit coolers. If you're reasonably competent with a screw driver it's not a problem ( and lets face it if your opening up your computer-ma-bob you really should be shouldn't you? ) I found it easier to attach and better engineered than similar products I've fitted. All have required the Motherboard to take out / or a Case that has a access hole under the Motherboard.

Contact paste is provided.

The Bad. The cooler is really tall. It will suit a full tower case. BUT Not all 'Tower' cases are made equal however...

Measure the width of your case from the processor on the board, to metal of the case side.

You'll need more than 158.5mm

And that .5 is important.

So on the one hand the cooler is narrow meaning it clears other components, but so tall it could well foul the side of an average PC case.

For the record I needed an extra mm or two.

( Following methodology is not guaranteed to work for anyone else or any other case, and may cause personal injury and irreparable damage to you and or your PC case )

...it wasn't hard to achieve with a hammer. I'm not joking, using a tea towel to soften the blows and against the carpet, I gently hammered on the perforated section where a fan can be mounted, this created a slightly dished/raised area which gave me the millimetre or so to clear the copper tips that protrude from the main aluminium body.

In conclusion buyer beware, measure the space you have in your chosen case before committing, if you have the width available then this is a excellent quiet cooler.
88 comments|132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2013
I got this from the Cooler Master website. I would have bought it from Amazon (because Amazon's great), but I had a voucher.

Anyway, you'll want to buy this. Yes, the instructions aren't great - but I challenge you to find an aftermarket cooler, scratch that, just find any cooler master product with good instructions! If you're installing an aftermarket cooler like this, they obviously assume you know what you're doing, or at least that you can use the net. But, if you don't have access to the net, and you haven't had much experience, then this isn't that bad, provided you follow the instructions.

Anyway, onto the cooler. It's great. With this, I overclocked my fx-4100 to 4.4 Ghz, with AS5 and max temps of around 47. The big test, though, is my i5 3570k, which, using this, I OC'd to a stable 4.5, with a good deal of headroom on a max temp for the CPUTIN of 40, and a max individual core temp of 66 under 100% Prime load for 1hr. Now, given the 3570k has a reasonable 24/7 temp of around 85*C, that gives me roughly 20*C to play with. I can imagine this chip hitting 4.7, *maybe* even 4.8, and on air that's phenomenal. The only reason I haven't is because I'm waiting for my replacement PSU.

Some pointers to get the best temps:
-The fan twists as you screw it in - don't let it do this, you'll need to hold it still.
-Screw the screws in with only 1 turn per screw, and then switch diagonally, then keep this going until you're done. If you do this unevenly (e.g. screw each screw fully individually) then the thermal paste will spread unevenly.
-Think about thermal paste. Use either the line method or the 'pea' method for thermal paste application. NEVER, EVER, EVER, spread it with a card or touch it with anything, even if your super-ultra-knowledgeable computer buddy tells you to. He/she is wrong. This adds air bubbles and heat, and even if it didn't, there's no point. The paste will spread itself properly if you apply a drop to the middle, and the heat is generated at the centre of the CPU, not the corners. Personally I prefer the 'pea' method, and in fact, use less than a pea size. Also, if you put the cooler on and then take it off again, you'll need to reapply the paste, even if it was only on for a second, otherwise you end up with more demon air bubbles. You'll also need to get some decent paste. Yes, this now comes with paste, and it's surprisingly good. I'd go so far as to say it's better than the supposedly 'market-leading' Arctic-Silver 5. But that's because, contrary to popular opinion, AS5 isn't so great any more. My paste of choice is MX-2.
-You *can* mount this horizontally. However, I wouldn't advise it. The fan is not really designed for horizontal mounting, so if you do choose to go that way, replace it.
-Think about airflow before you blame the fan for your rubbish temps. Tidy those cables, and get a case fan on intake at the front and one of exhaust at the back. Generally, more than that won't help, except in some cases - but have a fiddle around and fine the best setup for you.
33 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2014
I basically wanted this to replace the stock very annoying on an FX8320(running at normal clock). It was very hard to work out how big it will be once fitted so I scanned the diagram on the back of the box and put it in the customer images.

Should hopefully make it much easier for future buyers to decide whether it will fit in their case.

And... it is incredibly quiet!! :)
review image
0Comment|215 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2015
This thing is awesome. I bought it from a different retailer for about the same price. I was a bit scared, as it wasn't working properly the first time I installed it. Had temps going to 100C on full load, which is crazy. I have a 4.4 GHz i7 4790K. I was going to return the product but I gave it a last try. I dismounted the whole thing and gave a good shake to stir up the liquid inside, and that fixed it! Now temps are ~26-31C at idle, normal light use and ~65-72C under 100% use in 4.4 GHz.
I am doing 3D rendering for animation and VFX and this will definitely make my machine cool and quite and processor last longer.
It's quite quiet even under heavy use. Not silent, but good enough, may change the stock fan it came with.
review image review image review image review image
on 6 May 2015
This was bought to replace the stock cooler on my i7 processor. Is fitted to a ASUS Z97-A motherboard which is in a CiT Neptune case.
There are mixed remarks online whether the EVO fits the Neptune case.... it does! Granted when the side panel is fitted it just touches the heatpipes but not to the level where it prevents the panel from being fitted easily.

The fan is nice and quiet and installation was straight forward - but do familierise yourself with the instructions before fitting... you don't want to get the supports the wrong way round or fit the wrong support pillers.
review image
I've used this as my main "non standard" CPU cooler for a while now.
It's a good choice for many users, a: Moderate overclockers on a budget, b: Quite pc fans

This is one of the best bang per buck cpu coolers out there
Do check the measurements of the cooler though, they are:
Total height: 136mm
Width: 90mm
Depth including fan fitted: 76mm
Clearance from base to first fin (ie for memory clearance): 36.4mm

Pros:
+ Good performance, and excellent thermal cooling (for a tower 92mm unit)
+ More compact size allows fitting to micro atx cases (some 120mm tower untis might be too big for your case)
+ Takes a standard size 92mm fan, so easy to replace the fan if needed (I avoid custom heatsinks that don't take normal fans)

Cons:

This is my "go to" cpu cooler for most builds where I am not doing extreme overclocking (but maybe some) For heavy overclockers you might want to look at the 120mm fan units (make sure it will fit your case though) The CM 212 is a good bet, but there are lots of alternatives around from many makers

For the money this is a very decent cooler though and one of the best I've used, good performance, decent build, and a very attractive price
on 3 July 2015
Amazing performance. Since i have installed this bit of hardware and some MX-4 Paste my CPU is so cool even when gaming. Before my old CPU cooler was jsut a stock one i got with my 4670k - i5 and the heat paste was rubbish and the paste it came with and i was sitting at 100 degrees idle, now i have installed this and the paste my tempratuyre has gone right down to being mid 30's even when gaming.
on 29 December 2015
I brought this while building my nephews gaming machine and it performs well. With the I3 CPU fully loaded using stress testing software it comfortably sits below 55c with similar temperatures seen when gaming, idling reveals a nice cool 25-30c. I have no doubts that with a better CPU you could comfortably overclock with this heatsink.

The kit comes with everything you need and Cooler Master are also nice enough to include a second set of fan mounts so you can do a push pull configuration which I ended up doing as I had a spare fan after finishing (not pictured).

My biggest gripe with this heatsink is the mounting system it works by applying pressure over the metal backplate, this makes it a bit of a struggle to mount properly as the mounting system is sliding against the backplate while the heatsink is sliding against the CPU. It's annoying but for the price I can live with it, it's secure enough once mounted (although you can still twist the heatsink once mounted due to the mounting system). It's not a huge issue but I would have preferred the mount to be secured properly to the heatsink.

All in all it's a good heatsink but be wary as this is a tall heatsink and only just fits in the case I selected (Zinc 350 camouflage PC Gaming Case Dimensions: 48.3 x 23.8 x 53cm.) which is an average sized case.
on 22 March 2016
Before you buy double check which Amazon reviews you are reading, the product is in one of those multi-product listings, most of the reviews are not for the Closed Loop Liquid Cooler.
Installed on a Phenom II 1045T with a Gigabyte SKT-AM3 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard
It does bring down the system temperature significantly, it took my Phenom II 1045T CPU idle temp down from 45C to 20C but it is in no way quiet as promised, I did get my unit replaced by Amazon which they did asap and without issue but the new unit was only marginally quieter.
Worst thing, the buzz of the pump is at a rather annoying pitch. If you have a whole bunch of fans or a sound dampened case etc you might not notice so much.
After doing a bit more research it seems many people have the same problem.