The Short n' sweet

This cooler is quiet. But it's very tall. ( > 158.5 mm above the processor is required )

Access to the underside of the Motherboard is needed.

The Good. The Cooler is quiet and narrow. I had a small mother board to work with.

Published on 2 Mar 2012 by Charles

2.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare to fit
I'd read a lot of reviews, both here and elsewhere that mentioned this thing was tricky to fit. I found that to be something of an understatement. Was using an ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard. I watched two youtube vids and read and reread the instructions. Lets just say none of this helped. I wouldn't buy this again, and I wouldn't recommend it. having said that, once...
Published 2 months ago by KJ Crawford

5.0 out of 5 stars Swings and Roundabouts - or - basically Excellent, BUT for the wider case!, 2 Mar 2012
The Short n' sweet

Access to the underside of the Motherboard is needed.

for eg these wouldn't fit. Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler with Dual Mount Support And Nexus Low-7000 R2 Low Profile CPU Cooler : LOW-7000 R2 Yet both are quiet and efficient.

This Coolers width = 77mm with the supplied fan fitted, without it's 51mm.

The height of the pipes means it clears ram which on smaller Motherboards can be an issue. Since this was the problem with the install I undertook today, I'll add the proviso that I swapped the fan around so it sucked through the fins rather than blew, as it would have been a tight fit against the 'tall' finned ram fitted.

I could have made it work - although I would have had to ( c/o Heath Robinson ) fixed the fan to the cooler without using the supplied bracket.

Swapping the fan around from the front to back - and in this case from blow to suck made more sense, as the cooler is designed for a double fan set-up anyway, ( and the kit includes mounts for a second fan - not supplied ) This meant air movement was kept front to back as I was fitting a front fan ahead of the hard drives.

Mounting to the Motherboard is more demanding than the bog standard click fit coolers. If you're reasonably competent with a screw driver it's not a problem ( and lets face it if your opening up your computer-ma-bob you really should be shouldn't you? ) I found it easier to attach and better engineered than similar products I've fitted. All have required the Motherboard to take out / or a Case that has a access hole under the Motherboard.

Contact paste is provided.

The Bad. The cooler is really tall. It will suit a full tower case. BUT Not all 'Tower' cases are made equal however...

Measure the width of your case from the processor on the board, to metal of the case side.

You'll need more than 158.5mm

And that .5 is important.

So on the one hand the cooler is narrow meaning it clears other components, but so tall it could well foul the side of an average PC case.

For the record I needed an extra mm or two.

( Following methodology is not guaranteed to work for anyone else or any other case, and may cause personal injury and irreparable damage to you and or your PC case )

...it wasn't hard to achieve with a hammer. I'm not joking, using a tea towel to soften the blows and against the carpet, I gently hammered on the perforated section where a fan can be mounted, this created a slightly dished/raised area which gave me the millimetre or so to clear the copper tips that protrude from the main aluminium body.

In conclusion buyer beware, measure the space you have in your chosen case before committing, if you have the width available then this is a excellent quiet cooler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brillllliant~!, 12 Mar 2013
Lee Williams (Mersyside, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Okay bad pun titles aside; and first

TL;DR:
This is a great CPU cooler, fits both AMD and Intel CPU sockets, can have two fans and comes with a thermal paste tube.
My temperatures are not important due to several variable factors.

#########
Delivery:
Arrived promptly, annoyingly a box inside another (amazon) box with paper. But, to Amazon's credit it's for transferring purposes.
All the bits and bobs were securely in bags (the clips and accompanied screws were also packaged into a cleverly designed box which secures the main box while hiding the other bits) or foam; so it's safe while in transit.

###########################
Aesthetics & Functionality:
First and foremost; this cooler is efficient.

The stock CPU cooler (AM3) would only go to 30 deg(Celsius) if the bedroom window was wide open and ran at a noisy 100% along with all other case fans.
The CMH TX3 cooler keeps my processor running cool at 25-35 idle, and up to 45 (50- when the central heating was on) when running under load- and the best part is the fan isn't noisy.

Aesthetically; personally; it just looks like a cooler. I don't have a window on my case; which also sits UNDER my desk in a corner, so I'm after functionality over visual bragging rights.

(please see note 1 below)

#############
Installation:

[EDITED: 11th JUN 13]AMD:
After cleaning out my case a few days ago, I noticed there was some grooves between the heat-pipes for the AMD V bar to go into; thus; thankfully of great design, anyone with an AMD board can have this fan blowing in four directions.
On the top part of the plate under the aluminum fins, there's a stretched + shape. The AMD V Bar will either go between the middle copper pipe and into the long indent (which for some reason helps it stop sliding up & down when installing it), or alternatively through the "front". The lever simply slides onto the end of the V Bar and a sticky rubber pad stops it falling off. Installing the heatsink onto the motherboard is a standard procedure for typical AMD CPU coolers- one side of the VBar clip goes onto the heatsink bracket clip, and the other fiddly side clips on the other; then pull the lever over and done~!

INTEL:
Supplied are 4 x pin connectors (twist to unlock, push to lock). You'll screw these onto the cooler with screws provided, and then quite simply "snap" the pins onto the motherboard.
Due to the squared nature of the heat sink; you'll be able to rotate the heat sink in any four directions.

SECOND FAN:
You'll need a second !! 92 mm !! fan (and a spare fan header/Adapter/Molex connector)
Screw the fan onto the plastic brackets, use the protective sticky pads over the screws, and snap it onto the heatsink. Done~

DIRECTION PROBLEMS:
Depending on your motherboard having the heatsink aiming at the rear exhaust may make one of the fans cover a RAM slot. If you get a low profile (20mm should do) fan; you should be clear of problems!

######
NOTES:

1. DO NOT take temperatures from reviews 100% seriously (instead, take with a grain of salt) and expect the same results. There are several variables in terms of computer parts which will effect temperature; such as ambient temp, CPU clock speed, CPU load, other heat-generating components, lack of air-flow, and so forth.
2. The Cooler does NOT come with pre-applied thermal paste, but a thermal "paste" (more liquid-y) tube.
3. Before installing, Check which direction the fan is blowing! I've personally installed it so it blows air UP (↑)
4. This will NOT fit in SMALL (Midi, Micro-ATX) cases! If you have an ATX tower you've only got a small percentage of it not fitting.
5. Fan I purchased; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002QVLBPO/ After wiggling the heatsink on properly, I managed to make it not cover the RAM slot.

###############
RECOMMENDATION:
Buy It~! For 17 it really is a steal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cooler if a little bit noisy, 16 Jan 2014
Weston D (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I just purchased this unit as my old air cooled unit was not cutting it anymore. I am currently running a AMD phenom II X4 965 processor, with 8gb Gskillz ram, 1gb ddr5 EVGA Geforce GTX 650 graphics card, Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt, GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard. My old air cooled unit (Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO) was not doing a good job of cooling the CPU effectively so I thought a upgrade was necessary. I looked around for a while but could not find a cheap air cooled unit that would be good enough to keep my CPU cool. SO even though there was no reviews for this I thought for the price I could give it a go.

Well I have to say that I am really impressed with the unit. It came very nicely packaged with all the attachments for either a AMD or Intel CPU. The cooler was a bit tricky to install (only because its my first water-cooled unit) but this is my fault as I did not read the installation instructions. But eventually gave in a read them, after that the install wasn't that difficult even though my case has no water-cooling capability.
So if this is your first water-cooled unit then read the instructions you will save a lot of time.
In the end I had to front mount the cooler and it works brilliant, it gets a lot of cool air from the front and the unit only really gets warm when I am either video editing or gaming.

As for the cooling, this unit is brilliant it really is keeping the CPU cool, unfortunately I don't know how to access the CPU temp to tell you how much of an effect this cooler has but for the first time cool air exits the PC case instead of very warm air.

Now to the only downside, that is the noise. Now during everyday activity such as internet browsing, document editing etc the unit is no noisier than an air cooled counterpart but when you push the CPU and more cooling is required the unit can become a lot noisier, more so than a air cooled unit. However my case isn't the best built (Sharkoon VS3-V Chrome) and provides no noise isolation what so ever. So if you have a better built case or even a sound proof case then the noise would be less of an issue. However after a few weeks of use I have got used to the noise and it doesn't really bother me anymore.

So to sum up, at this price I dont think that a air cooled cooler would provide as good cooling as this does, the unit is more compact as it isn't a giant air cooled unit, meaning better access to the motherboard. The unit is a little noisy but not that noisy that it should prevent you from buying it and like I said with a better built case the effect of the noise would be a lot less.
Finally if I can figure out how to accurately get CPU temps then I will do an update with those in different scenarios.

**Update**

Temps with my set up

Idle temp 31C, Internet browsing (4 windows open) 34C, YouTube (4 windows) 37C, YouTube (10 windows) 39C - 41C, Video editing 35C - 42C, Video processing 38C - 41C, Processing (windows movie maker) 40C - 46C, Gaming (World Of Tanks @ 1920 x 1080 @ 40 - 60 fps) 42C - 49C
I will try a more graphics intense game when I download one.

**2nd update**

Bought Assassins Creed 3 to test the cooler. To note I have upgraded to a 650Ti 2GB OC Boost graphics card as well and I am still getting very low temps.
Assassins Creed 3 runs between 40C - 45C @ full 1080p @ 60Hz. (dont know fps but it is very smooth and lag free game play).

**3rd update**

Bought a new case. I now have a Corsair Graphite 230T case (which is awesome) but it seems to have had a very positive effect on the temps of my CPU. Also the noise from the cooler is a lot quieter now, which I presume is due to superior build quality over my last case. Therefore I have decided to add 1/2 a star and bump it to 4.5.

Next update will be a performance test to see if it runs any cooler.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cooler, 11 Aug 2012
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) (Accessory)
Installation instructions are a little iffy. Would recommend looking at other online installation guides, especially for 'tinting' the processor and cooler.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good bang per buck CPU cooler, 8 April 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
I've used this as my main "non standard" CPU cooler for a while now.
It's a good choice for many users, a: Moderate overclockers on a budget, b: Quite pc fans
Another advantage, it can be fitted to the board without taking it out, and it's multi socket compatible

This is one of the best bang per buck cpu coolers out there
Do check the measurements of the cooler though, they are:
Total height: 136mm
Width: 90mm
Depth including fan fitted: 76mm
Clearance from base to first fin (ie for memory clearance): 36.4mm

It's a decent size for a tower cooler (certainly bigger than a normal stock cooler) I've not had problems with memory clearance either (but double check for some of the larger heatsinks on some ram modules)

Pros:
+ Good performance, and excellent thermal cooling (for a tower 92mm unit)
+ Outperforms stock coolers with ease, well made with a good number of fins to remove heat from the CPU
+ Can be fitted to the board without removing it (take note for cases that don't allow mobo access to the back plate)
+ More compact size allows fitting to micro atx cases (some 120mm tower untis might be too big for your case)
+ Takes a standard size 92mm fan, so easy to replace the fan if needed (I avoid custom heatsinks that don't take normal fans)

Cons:
- Supplied fan is decent, but there are better alternatives for quite pc fans (it's not hugely noisy at lower rpms, but not the best solution)
- I would use your own premium thermal paste for the best thermal performance (lots of choices out there)

This is my "go to" cpu cooler for most builds where I am not doing extreme overclocking (but maybe some) For heavy overclockers you might want to look at the 120mm fan units (make sure it will fit your case though) The CM 212 is a good bet, but there are lots of alternatives around from many makers

For quite pc builds this is also a very good choice, though I tend to replace the fan with a Gelid 92mm silent (either the 3 pin normal fan or a pwm unit) The fan supplied is ok though, just not as quiet as I would like for builds of this type. It's a pwm fan which has universal support, but do check if you are replacing a fan on an older board.

I have this installed on a few AMD FX systems no problems either with the 6 or 8 series processors, and you can overclock quite a lot more than v the standard cooler. If you are going to push things hard though I'd suggest a 120mm unit.

For the money this is a very decent cooler though and one of the best I've used, good performance, decent build, and a very attractive price

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO .., 22 Jan 2012
M. Jones (Cwmbran, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) (Accessory)
After a little searching for after market heatsyncs on a budget, I finally came across the Hyper 212+. Then quickly onto this updated EVO model of basically the same cooler.

The only real difference between the two being the 212+ has little gaps between the direct contact copper pipes that actually contact the cpu die. The Hyper 212 EVO apparently improves on this design by reducing the gaps between these pipes to virtually nothing, and therefore improving heat dissipation.

Although I can't actually comment on the perfomance differences between the two, I can honestly say that this HSF is awesome. For a shade under 30 this unit has given me reductions of 12-15c degrees with a push - pull fan setup, at full load under a Prime95 blend test.

Also, don't be put off by any reviews about people having trouble installing this HSF, although it seems daunting given the fittings your supplied. This heatsync actually took no longer than 30 minutes to fit, including removing and replacing literally ALL my components. The only real trouble I had fitting the 212 EVO was with the height of it. Standing tall at 159mm the copper heatpipes that extrude from the top fins 'just' touched the side panel of my Cooler Master 335 Elite case, which is 200mm wide itself. I had to push out a little lump to avoid this contact. So take note of your case dimensions, or any case mods your willing to make when considering this purchase.

To sum up, If your on a budget and need some extra cooling for that "modest" overclock, this is the cooler for you. It fits all modern Intel Core i3/5/7 and AMD AM2/3/3+ sockets out of the box.

And if your in need of some assistance in the fitting department, a quick google search will reveal a super helpful youtube video talking you through the process.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good and easy to install, 27 Feb 2014
The TX3 Evo is a very good and easy to install CPU cooler
I was afraid to buy the Hyper 212 Evo because I didn't know if it would fit my case, so I went with this one instead.
In comparison with the 212 Evo, this one doesn't have and doesn't need a backplate to install it, so if you're planing on changing you're old CPU cooler and don't have access to the back of the mainboard, this is perfect.

Pros:
Keeps my FX 6300 overclocked at 4.5Ghz at 48C full load and 18C at iddle (also have a second fan installed)
Has brackets and rubber pads to install a second 92mm fan for push pull configuration
Doesn't need a backplate to install it;
It's compatible with AMD and INTEL, and is very easy to install.
Don't know about noise levels, as I have 6 120mm fans in my case which make quite a lot of noise, so can't say
Box contains thermal grease for 2-3 aplications, and also seems good quality.
Not very tall, still had a lot of head space.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic when fitted with two fans, 29 Oct 2013
I saw the Coolermaster Hyper T4 on HotUKDeals for 17.50 and leaped on it. Due to another reviewer's advice, I always intended to get a CM Hyper and attach two fans (in a push/pull configuration) for extra cooling potential.

I grabbed a cheap (5) CM fan to go along with this, which I was able to fit immediately as the Hyper T4 comes with a spare set of attachments so you can attach another regular 120mm case fan.

Fitting was a tight squeeze! The 'height' from the motherboard was no problem and my RAM is suitably low profile with no pointless heat spreaders, but it was still tricky clipping-in to the bracket near the motherboard's heatsink (Asus Z87-A).

Fitting itself is relatively straightforward, although steady hands and a fair bit of space is required. If at all possible (and especially if you have a small case) fitting the cooler to the mobo outside of the case is recommended.

The fitting instructions are relatively clear, which is good as I wasn't able to find an instruction video for this model, only the Hyper 212 which is very different in terms of how it attaches.

Once fitted, my intended purpose was overclocking and I'm pleased to report it works perfectly.

I overclocked my (3.4Ghz at stock) Intel i5 4670K CPU to 4.2Ghz and during full load in [stress testing software] Prime95 the highest temp I've recorded is 56c (it's about 24 idle) so a huge success for about 22.50 total spend. By comparison, overclocked and using the stock fan the temps hit up to a whopping 90c before I quickly stopped the stress test. Even at stock and idle, the CPU temp was generally 35 - 40c

This is a quality, well-packaged product that comes with lots of fittings and at a very cheap price. I would only recommend a single-fan configuration for people wanting to generally lower the temps in their PC build though. Like me, if you are planning to overclock you should add a second 120mm fan (very simple to do: screw clips to fan; attach clips to heatsink) with the arrows facing the same direction on either side of the heatsink (i.e. <--||||<-- ) for excellent cooling at a bargain price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CPU cooler, 11 July 2013
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) (Accessory)
If you're looking at other air CPU coolers, stop now please, because this is the one you're looking for. It's worth every single pence. At idle, it keeps my i5 3570k @ 4.2GHz at around 28-30C. And at moderate load, it goes to about 40C. I've never seen it above 50 but I have to keep testing it. It is rather big, so do make sure your case is wide enough to support it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Cooling. Why spend 100s on water cooling (apart from the looks)? JUST PUT A 2ND FAN ON!, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) (Accessory)
This is an utterly phenomenal cooler. Far better than I had hoped it would be.

Check it'll fit in your case - simple google search'll do it.

Install: Really easy. There's good vids on youtube to prepare you, but honestly it couldn't be much easier.

I decided to use a different thermal compound - out of curiosity and because my local geek shop stocked it and I wanted to support them. It's a nanodiamond compound, non-electrically conductive so safe if you use a bit much, and rated at 3.7W/mK (whatever that means) - reviews put it about 5C cooler than Arctic Silver MX-4 (There's a brand that is even more conductice - 4.5 W/mK, I think its called IC Diamond). Other reviewers say the stuff that comes with this is good.

Performance: WOW! seriously this is far beyond what I had hoped for. I'm running an i5 3570k in a Fractal Design Define R3 case. The stock Intel cooler allowed me to reach 4.2Ghz O/C, but I was seeing temps of 80/81C under prime95 tests, and beyond 4.3Ghz straight out failed.

I first ran this with just the stock fan pushing air through the tower (people say this is more effective than pulling air through). Although the PWM control meant my temps stayed at 77/78C, I noticed that the fan speeds were only 50%. So I thought why not try higher... 4.3 came and went, then 4.4, 4.5, 4.6.... by now the fan was hitting 90% BUT STILL KEEPING ME AT 79/80C. I even got it to 4.7Ghz but temps started rising toward 85C. I bought this because I really wanted a moderate O/C at 67C or below.

Then I read up on dual fan push/pull configurations. I had a spare 120mm fan, just a cheap standard Akasa 1200rpm jobbie. The brackets that come with this for 2nd fan are so easy to install. My fan ain't PWM, so just plugged it into mobo 3-pin header. This means its always at full rpm, but its a very quiet little thing so I don't mind. But OMG the difference! 4.2Ghz dropped to 45C at full prime95 stress test on all 4 cores. 45C!!!! I think this is partly because the 2nd fan is always maxed. The PWM fan just span at its lowest 600rpm setting. Idle is now 9C when the room temp is 21c!!!

I've managed to get a properly stable O/C of 4.7Ghz at 1.32v. So far hasn't been above 62C on any core under prime95, and the original PWM fan hasn't gone above 1200rpm out of max 1600rpm. If I wasn't set on a low temp and a quiet fan I think this cooler could get me to 4.8, maybe higher if the chip will stay stable. This is as good as some water loops I've seen. At a fraction of the price.

For fun and better looks I've just ordered 2 Akasa Viper fans that I'll use on this. If they are as effective as the reviews say, I might try for a higher O/C. Which is mental considering I bought this hoping for 67C at 4.3Ghz.

If you want seriously effective cooling for a fraction of the price of water loops, buy this and put a 2nd fan on it.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)
33.30