The Short n' sweet

This cooler is quiet. But it's very tall. ( > 158.5 mm above the processor is required )

Access to the underside of the Motherboard is needed.

The Good. The Cooler is quiet and narrow. I had a small mother board to work with.

Published on 2 Mar 2012 by Charles

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok. Just dont try this in many of CoolerMasters own cases unless your comfortable modding the case.
Cooler Master product. Doesn't go in cooler masters flagship cases. I already modded mine because I had problems in the past with various elements of the Cosmos II Ultra. So it does go in. More a fault of the cases (Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra and HAFX than the cooler but for me it was disappointing that this company just cant seem to get their act together and make...
Published 13 days ago by Mr. Simon David Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Swings and Roundabouts - or - basically Excellent, BUT for the wider case!, 2 Mar 2012
The Short n' sweet

Access to the underside of the Motherboard is needed.

for eg these wouldn't fit. Zalman Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler with Dual Mount Support And Nexus Low-7000 R2 Low Profile CPU Cooler : LOW-7000 R2 Yet both are quiet and efficient.

This Coolers width = 77mm with the supplied fan fitted, without it's 51mm.

The height of the pipes means it clears ram which on smaller Motherboards can be an issue. Since this was the problem with the install I undertook today, I'll add the proviso that I swapped the fan around so it sucked through the fins rather than blew, as it would have been a tight fit against the 'tall' finned ram fitted.

I could have made it work - although I would have had to ( c/o Heath Robinson ) fixed the fan to the cooler without using the supplied bracket.

Swapping the fan around from the front to back - and in this case from blow to suck made more sense, as the cooler is designed for a double fan set-up anyway, ( and the kit includes mounts for a second fan - not supplied ) This meant air movement was kept front to back as I was fitting a front fan ahead of the hard drives.

Mounting to the Motherboard is more demanding than the bog standard click fit coolers. If you're reasonably competent with a screw driver it's not a problem ( and lets face it if your opening up your computer-ma-bob you really should be shouldn't you? ) I found it easier to attach and better engineered than similar products I've fitted. All have required the Motherboard to take out / or a Case that has a access hole under the Motherboard.

Contact paste is provided.

The Bad. The cooler is really tall. It will suit a full tower case. BUT Not all 'Tower' cases are made equal however...

Measure the width of your case from the processor on the board, to metal of the case side.

You'll need more than 158.5mm

And that .5 is important.

So on the one hand the cooler is narrow meaning it clears other components, but so tall it could well foul the side of an average PC case.

For the record I needed an extra mm or two.

( Following methodology is not guaranteed to work for anyone else or any other case, and may cause personal injury and irreparable damage to you and or your PC case )

...it wasn't hard to achieve with a hammer. I'm not joking, using a tea towel to soften the blows and against the carpet, I gently hammered on the perforated section where a fan can be mounted, this created a slightly dished/raised area which gave me the millimetre or so to clear the copper tips that protrude from the main aluminium body.

In conclusion buyer beware, measure the space you have in your chosen case before committing, if you have the width available then this is a excellent quiet cooler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cooler and fitted better than the T4, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) (Accessory)
Just installed this in my PC to replace the stock AMD cooler. That worked ok but in the hot weather it was noisy and the temp of my CPU kept exceeding 65C.

It look slightly longer to fit as I had to remove the motherboard to fit the special backplate. Once that was done the rest was straightforward. A long thin screw driver definitely helped.

As will all coolers if you have never fitted one and never used thermal paste then I recommend watching a few YouTube videos to get a feel for it. It's not difficult but always nice to see the device fitted by someone else.

I'm not going to say much about the noise as *everyone* has different opinions on what is acceptable. What I will say is that it performs better than the stock cooler when the room temp is up, it is good value for money and well made. The noise of the fan in my NAS is the most noticeable thing on my desk now.

I fitted it on a Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 motherboard with AMD FX8320. I previously got a Cooler Master T4 cooler but that didn't fit due to it clashing with my RAM. The great thing about the 212 is that you can rotate it 90 degrees if required and the fan can be fitted on the other side. This gives you more fitting options. Looking at the 212 and the T4 they are basically the same but the flexibility of the 212 is much nicer. If only I had gone for this one in the first place!

Check the total height of this. It is quite tall and I only had 5mm spare once I put the side panel back on my case.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brillllliant~!, 12 Mar 2013
Okay bad pun titles aside; and first

TL;DR:
This is a great CPU cooler, fits both AMD and Intel CPU sockets, can have two fans and comes with a thermal paste tube.
My temperatures are not important due to several variable factors.

#########
Delivery:
Arrived promptly, annoyingly a box inside another (amazon) box with paper. But, to Amazon's credit it's for transferring purposes.
All the bits and bobs were securely in bags (the clips and accompanied screws were also packaged into a cleverly designed box which secures the main box while hiding the other bits) or foam; so it's safe while in transit.

###########################
Aesthetics & Functionality:
First and foremost; this cooler is efficient.

The stock CPU cooler (AM3) would only go to 30 deg(Celsius) if the bedroom window was wide open and ran at a noisy 100% along with all other case fans.
The CMH TX3 cooler keeps my processor running cool at 25-35 idle, and up to 45 (50- when the central heating was on) when running under load- and the best part is the fan isn't noisy.

Aesthetically; personally; it just looks like a cooler. I don't have a window on my case; which also sits UNDER my desk in a corner, so I'm after functionality over visual bragging rights.

(please see note 1 below)

#############
Installation:

[EDITED: 11th JUN 13]AMD:
After cleaning out my case a few days ago, I noticed there was some grooves between the heat-pipes for the AMD V bar to go into; thus; thankfully of great design, anyone with an AMD board can have this fan blowing in four directions.
On the top part of the plate under the aluminum fins, there's a stretched + shape. The AMD V Bar will either go between the middle copper pipe and into the long indent (which for some reason helps it stop sliding up & down when installing it), or alternatively through the "front". The lever simply slides onto the end of the V Bar and a sticky rubber pad stops it falling off. Installing the heatsink onto the motherboard is a standard procedure for typical AMD CPU coolers- one side of the VBar clip goes onto the heatsink bracket clip, and the other fiddly side clips on the other; then pull the lever over and done~!

INTEL:
Supplied are 4 x pin connectors (twist to unlock, push to lock). You'll screw these onto the cooler with screws provided, and then quite simply "snap" the pins onto the motherboard.
Due to the squared nature of the heat sink; you'll be able to rotate the heat sink in any four directions.

SECOND FAN:
You'll need a second !! 92 mm !! fan (and a spare fan header/Adapter/Molex connector)
Screw the fan onto the plastic brackets, use the protective sticky pads over the screws, and snap it onto the heatsink. Done~

DIRECTION PROBLEMS:
Depending on your motherboard having the heatsink aiming at the rear exhaust may make one of the fans cover a RAM slot. If you get a low profile (20mm should do) fan; you should be clear of problems!

######
NOTES:

1. DO NOT take temperatures from reviews 100% seriously (instead, take with a grain of salt) and expect the same results. There are several variables in terms of computer parts which will effect temperature; such as ambient temp, CPU clock speed, CPU load, other heat-generating components, lack of air-flow, and so forth.
2. The Cooler does NOT come with pre-applied thermal paste, but a thermal "paste" (more liquid-y) tube.
3. Before installing, Check which direction the fan is blowing! I've personally installed it so it blows air UP (↑)
4. This will NOT fit in SMALL (Midi, Micro-ATX) cases! If you have an ATX tower you've only got a small percentage of it not fitting.
5. Fan I purchased; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002QVLBPO/ After wiggling the heatsink on properly, I managed to make it not cover the RAM slot.

###############
RECOMMENDATION:
Buy It~! For £17 it really is a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and quiet - but pretty big!, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) (Accessory)
I basically wanted this to replace the stock very annoying on an FX8320(running at normal clock). It was very hard to work out how big it will be once fitted so I scanned the diagram on the back of the box and put it in the customer images.

Should hopefully make it much easier for future buyers to decide whether it will fit in their case.

And... it is incredibly quiet!! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cooler, 11 Aug 2012
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) (Accessory)
Installation instructions are a little iffy. Would recommend looking at other online installation guides, especially for 'tinting' the processor and cooler.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, idle 26c on a i7 4790k, 22 Nov 2014
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) (Accessory)
Bought this to replace the stock cooler on a new i7 4790k, as it had a rep as a solid performer with a low price tag.

Sure enough, the result is the cpu idles (in a zalman z11 case) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CJZWQMY/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_2

at 26 degrees.

Installation was simple , with clear instructions.

A notable tip for installation is that the fan can be removed (and should be) via a simple set of clips, and can be added back on at the end of the installation. The box contents also include a second fan bracket and noise dampening rubber pads to allow you to fit a second 120mm cooler to the unit, or crucially, swap the existing fan from one side to the other.

This comes into play / interacts with the only real negative i have with the unit, in that the size of the fan and its overhang , mean that on some boards, like mine (h97) the fan in its stock orientation prevents the use of anything but low profile ram on the ram slot nearest it. To be specific, a stick of crucial vengeance ram wont go in there. It will, and can by simply swapping the fan over and have it pull through the cooler rather than push through it, so it is not something i would pull a star for.

The last note i would give is to check the sizing on your case before purchase. The zalman z1 has a frosted/smoked window that extends out a few cm , but without that extra clearance it would have been a very tight fit.

I would sum up the review by saying this would be my go to cooler on any future builds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm), 30 May 2014
Colin Gibson (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) (Accessory)
Recently bought a new computer desk and my wife insisted on my 2 computers going 'inside' the cabinet as opposed to 'next' to the cabinet. I have never suffered from overheating issues before on my AMD3+ system (AMD FX8350 Black Edition 8 Core Processor) but once I put this rig into a cabinet and a similar rig next to it boy did the heat rise - to be honest I was afraid there was so much heat generation that either my desk would warp in time or my computers would simply pass out - and one did, every 20 min or so as the CPU temp cut out activated and closed down the whole system on that machine.

I recorded the details of the FX8350 with the AMD supplied fan as fitted in the closed desk (5 minute intervals until stable)...
CPU temp 52/53/57
System temp 46/47/49

Following fitting of the 212 cooler...
CPU temp 36/39/41
System temp 35/38/39

I completely replaced the fitting on the Gigabyte motherboard which was really easy by following the instructions supplied by Cooler Master. I have to say you do need to check the space available within your case to ensure you can support this cooler - it is massive! (See some pics I have taken if they upload OK).

In addition I cut out and inserted a fan into the back of the computer cabinet to extract the warm air generated by my rig (see review of these under Coolmaster Sickleflow 120 product, at £5.99 a snip and a complete solution when linked to above).

The CM fan is quite, effective and has just made such a difference I would not have previously believed possible. The temperature drop of circa 20 degrees overnight is just fantastic! You you really want to go better, you can add a second CPU fan to the fins so you have pull/push airflow, on this system I currently have only one fan pulling and blowing air across my CPU fins but boy what a difference.

Hope this helps (see my other reviews for Coolmaster Sickleflow 120 plus the grill I used to filter air and protect from tiny fingers exploring my cabinet 'Silverstone 120mm Fan Filter with Grill/Black').

Thanks Colin.

PS - Sorry Amazon will not allow photo upload to this product review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good bang per buck CPU cooler, 8 April 2014
Mr Baz - See all my reviews
(#1 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
I've used this as my main "non standard" CPU cooler for a while now.
It's a good choice for many users, a: Moderate overclockers on a budget, b: Quite pc fans
Another advantage, it can be fitted to the board without taking it out, and it's multi socket compatible

This is one of the best bang per buck cpu coolers out there
Do check the measurements of the cooler though, they are:
Total height: 136mm
Width: 90mm
Depth including fan fitted: 76mm
Clearance from base to first fin (ie for memory clearance): 36.4mm

It's a decent size for a tower cooler (certainly bigger than a normal stock cooler) I've not had problems with memory clearance either (but double check for some of the larger heatsinks on some ram modules)

Pros:
+ Good performance, and excellent thermal cooling (for a tower 92mm unit)
+ Outperforms stock coolers with ease, well made with a good number of fins to remove heat from the CPU
+ Can be fitted to the board without removing it (take note for cases that don't allow mobo access to the back plate)
+ More compact size allows fitting to micro atx cases (some 120mm tower untis might be too big for your case)
+ Takes a standard size 92mm fan, so easy to replace the fan if needed (I avoid custom heatsinks that don't take normal fans)

Cons:
- Supplied fan is decent, but there are better alternatives for quite pc fans (it's not hugely noisy at lower rpms, but not the best solution)
- I would use your own premium thermal paste for the best thermal performance (lots of choices out there)

This is my "go to" cpu cooler for most builds where I am not doing extreme overclocking (but maybe some) For heavy overclockers you might want to look at the 120mm fan units (make sure it will fit your case though) The CM 212 is a good bet, but there are lots of alternatives around from many makers

For quite pc builds this is also a very good choice, though I tend to replace the fan with a Gelid 92mm silent (either the 3 pin normal fan or a pwm unit) The fan supplied is ok though, just not as quiet as I would like for builds of this type. It's a pwm fan which has universal support, but do check if you are replacing a fan on an older board.

I have this installed on a few AMD FX systems no problems either with the 6 or 8 series processors, and you can overclock quite a lot more than v the standard cooler. If you are going to push things hard though I'd suggest a 120mm unit.

For the money this is a very decent cooler though and one of the best I've used, good performance, decent build, and a very attractive price

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm) (Accessory)
I have to be honest I was a bit sceptical about this cooler. My system uses an AMD 1090T processor with a stock cooler, I have run the stock cooler for a couple of years without any real problems, however I was worried about high temperatures, when the processor was under full load for extended periods. For my processor AMD quote a max safe temperature of 62 degrees Celsius, which to be fair I frequently exceeded without any stability problems. I use Speedfan to monitor cpu temperatures, assume its accurate but have no way of knowing for sure. Anyway, to the point I would say my system normally sat between 45-65 oC depending on load, now with this new cooler on board the temperatures are considerably cooler than stock, it sits at 27 and when pushed reaches 40 oC. For the price I paid seems a good trade off. Was easy to fit, only real problem was trying to get old stock cooler off the cpu, it was stuck on with the old paste, ion the end when I eased it out it pulled the processor out of its socket and I thought I had busted it...luckily no damage done.....................an effective, cheap cooler that works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great cooler, but it may be worth getting the 212 EVO, 2 July 2014
This is a great cooler, miles better than the FX-6300 stock cooler. However, it is a big cooler, and my motherboard has the ram slots very close to the CPU, and this cooler prevented me from installing my ram in the first slot. This shouldn't be a problem for most people however, as I imagine most ram would fit under the fan, mine couldn't because of the cooler (I'm using Kingston HyperX Beast RAM).

Using the AMD fitting, cooler can be placed with the fan pointing in any direction, like with the Intel fitting. I say this because some reviews I saw stated that the fan could only face down, which is not best for airflow in most cases. My temps are now about 20 degrees lower than the stock AMD cooler that came with my FX-6300 (not overclocked), with about 18°C on idle and about 40-45°C on high load. This is with a front intake fan and an exhaust fan on my case.

Overall, this is a great cooler for the price, however if you plan to overclock, have enough room in your case, and you have some extra money to spend, it's definitely worth going 212 EVO for a little extra.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (120mm)