4.0 out of 5 stars Overheating issues
I've been using this for 2 days and I just encountered a potentially serious problem - overheating.
Through casual use I've noticed that it gets a bit hot, and just an hour ago it got EXTREMELY hot...

I was putting lots of data onto the device, but at one point I formatted it as a way of removing all the data using the Windows 7 format utility.
One of...
Published 5 months ago by Thomas Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Random Access Speed
Published 11 months ago by G. J. Krupa

4.0 out of 5 stars Overheating issues, 5 July 2014
Thomas Wilson - See all my reviews

One of the purposes I bought this stick was to store a large amount of music/media on it which I can then plug into my phone.
Unfortunately, the windows format utility made it unrecognizable to my phone when I tested it afterwards.
I then started a full format (ie, not a quick format) and I left the room.
When I came back no more than 10 minutes later, I could smell the slightest whiff of something electrical, and obviously, it was the USB stick. It was so hot it almost burnt my fingers when trying to remove it.

This stopped the format half way through and therefore it needed to be reformatted. Luckily, I found just the thing (Kingston Format Utility: http://www.kingston.com/en/support/technical/downloads?product=dthx30&filename=kingston_format_utility), and it's now working just fine with my PC and my phone.

However, I'm now worried that I've slightly ruined the USB stick. It's not showing any signs of damage, but I cannot stress just how hot it got, I'm simply amazed that it's still working frankly. I'm questioning returning it after this incident.

That said, it is a very fast and capacious USB stick, but if you're planning on doing a full format on this stick with the default Windows format utility, PLEASE DON'T!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than advertised!, 17 July 2014
Luke (Cleveleys, UK) - See all my reviews
Wow, seriously impressed with this drive! It was delivered in one day, that was the standard 3-5 day shipping. Plugged it in, opened up my Disk Speed Tester. 155.8 MB/s write and 294.7 MB/s Read right out of the box. Kept this going for around 15 minutes and speeds reduced to 125.4 MB/s write and 244.5 MB/s Read. 126.47 GB is the total storage OSX can see but that's good enough for me. It is holding some huge files and that is exactly what I bought it for.

The design is absolutely solid, it is well built and the lid is on firmly, it takes a good tug to remove it, the same goes for placing it on the other end. You are not going to lose this cap easily!

An easy 5 stars all round, now just to see how long this lasts!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chunky but fast!, 26 July 2012
Dabbler (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Lets face it, most times when manufacturers quote speed specifications for devices they also qualitfy them with words like 'speeds quoted are attained during internal testing' Which basically boils down to 'you won't get these speeds in real life'.

This little baby is different...

235MBs read and 135MBs write as a USB 3.0 device easily attainable and actually this thing is very slightly better than that (when tested in a Macbook Pro 15" Retina 8GB 2.3 GHZ).

The other thing to note is that it's blisteringly fast for a USB 2 device as well, I get about 28MBs write and 33MBs read.

It's not the most handsome device out there and yes as some point I'm sure to loose the cap but it performs very well and it works out of the box for me unlike the SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Extreme USB 3.0 Flash Drive.

Kingston Rocks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely fast, 4 Aug 2014
This drive lives up to its speed rating. As with full SSDs, it will slow down with smaller files but even here it is much faster than cheaper USB drives.

It is big, which means it should be more robust and harder to lose. It certainly feels well made.

The following applies to any flash drive.
If you plan on storing very large files, over 4 GiB, on it then you will need to reformat it to NTFS or exFAT. Windows 7 will default to exFAT, but you will then need a update KB955704 to get XP to work with the drive. NTFS is slower and less efficient but will work with any OS. There is further guidance on the Kingston website together with step by step instructions to reformat it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing Random Access Speed, 25 Jan 2014
G. J. Krupa "GJK" (UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this to use as a virtual machine "PC-on-a-stick". The intention was to move a Parallels Windows 8.1 virtual machine onto the stick and run it directly from there. Compared with an external USB3.0 hard drive or SSD in a caddy the performance is dire. The VM is unresponsive for long periods of time where it's only slightly laggy running off a WD My Passport. The transfer of large files to and from the stick is very fast but it's not suited to my purposes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anything other than FAT32 gives poor write performance, 3 Mar 2014
This flash drive is reasonably well build, however the connector has a little give (shaking the circuit board around inside the case).

Unfortunately, formatting the drive with anything other than FAT32 results in poor write performance. I primarily use Linux, so formatted the drive as ext4 (with "-O ^has_journal" to disable journalling). The best write speed I could get on large files was around 50MB/s. The first ~2GB would appear to write in seconds due to caching, giving the impression in benchmarks of having ~150MB/s write speed.

Read performance was much better - around 160MB/s.

I tried repartitioning/formatting with various options in an attempt to align the filesystem with the erase block size (which Kingston don't publish) however couldn't achieve any impressive speeds. Kingston do say in their FAQ that reformatting without their proprietary, closed source application would lead to degraded performance. I tried replicating the partition parameters set by their formatting utility (fdisk -H5 -S32) but it didn't yield any improvement.

All I can assume is that the flash controller in this unit is filesystem aware for FAT32 and applying some sort of hardware accelleration or is highly optimised for FAT32 default alignment.

In any case, it's a large, reasonably fast device that gives similar performance to my 64GB Sandisk Cruzer Extreme at roughly the same £/MB (as of 2014-03-03 a 64GB Sandisk Cruzer Extreme is ~£45, and a 128GB Kingston DTHX is ~£96).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best USB stick I've ever used., 19 Feb 2013
Brian (DONCASTER, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I don't have USB 3.

However, on USB 2 on my Mac, and my PC at work this thing flies. It's nearly 5 times faster than my previous 64Gb stick.

Yes it's expensive, but 'it does what it says on the can'. It's stunningly fast in comparison.

Recommended? Absolutely, you get what you pay for.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fast but short-lived, 23 July 2012
Delighted when I bought the HyperX 64GB six months ago for £119.99. Very fast even on USB2.
However, today (23 July 2012) it failed and all data lost.
(Fortunately, I have copies elsewhere.)
Will not reformat on any of my computers (Win 7 64-bit & 32-bit).
Would not recommend the HyperX 64GB, even at the reduced price of £82.52.
Will stick with SanDisk in future
Have asked My Memory for a refund and eagerly await their response.
Update, 5 August 2012
Speedy, same-day and accommodating responses from Amazon and My Memory. Drive replaced.
I might not be enthusiastic about the drive but am very impressed by Amazon Customer Services and My Memory. Both five stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressive in actual Data Transfer, 29 April 2013
I have been using Kingston HyperX 128GB since 6 months now and have been quite satisfied with the performance and functionality. Although it's a 3rd Generation USB device and has been advertised to furnish transfer capability of more than 200Mbps, in reality it does not. With performance metric software such as CrystalDiskInfo it could go up-to 175Mbps but with a huge DVD file of 4.5G it went up-to 90Mbps. For small files of Tens of Megs the speed limits were more disappointing. It never went more than 30 Mbps. Apart from this boasting, It is a rugged and stylish USB stick which will keep your data safe and sound. Recommended if you have large files to transfer.

3.0 out of 5 stars I do recommend this but I do not think this lasted long ..., 2 Dec 2014
In the beginning I bought this USB to store all kinds of things in as everyone reviewed this as fast and reliable. So I made the purchase, After a year or so of using it, I started using it for my college course. I stored all my documents and presentations within that document and the USB died on me this morning, I do recommend this but I do not think this lasted long enough for the price I have paid this for.