5.0 out of 5 stars Happy customer
Published on 25 Jan 2012 by MaxineD

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccurate tool
Inaccurate readings were displayed to me on the second day of use, as I took a reading a got a surprising result, so retested and kept getting different scores. Now I'm not sure if yesterday's results are valid. I measured five times upon waking and got the following readings 6.6, 4.6, 5.7, 5.0, 4.8.

As you can see there is a lot variation, between 6.6 - 4.6. I...
Published 3 months ago by Mr. R. M. Lora

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy customer, 25 Jan 2012
This review is from: Codefree Blood Glucose Monitor/Monitoring Test/Testing Kit+Strips+Lancets+Case - in mmol/L (Personal Care)
I purchased this product for my mum who is diabetic and suffering from short term memory loss so was looking for a product which was easy enough for her to use on her own. The product did not disappoint and she grasped it in minutes. She is very pleased with the unit as it is very similar to her last one which is no longer available. Also, the strips are extremely good value for money. Thank you also for your very prompt service. We received the product within two days of placing the order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Codefree Blood Glucose Testing Kit, 22 Nov 2012
This testing kit is very reasonably priced but there is nothing inferior about the product in any way.
It comes in a convenient, compact, zipped case and is all that is needed for doing the job. Set up is simple and straightforward (setting time and date etc) and included are a booklet of full instructions, log booklet etc.
The digital readout is clear and offers a daily history as well as 7 and 30 day averages of test results.
I have used other, much more expensive devices that are no better (Supplied by NHS!)
Further supplies of strips and lancets will be needed for regular testing and these are readily available via the Amazon site with very swift delivery.
For a home testing kit this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 9 May 2012
D. Baldwin (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this little gadget recently as my old monitor had run out of lancets & were too expensive to replace not only online but also in the shop who stopped selling them in the end. When I ordered this one it was initially because it was an average price & the replacements were a lot cheaper & I felt better value for money. So I placed the order. The order came really fast, very impressed seeing as I only put in for the Amazon free delivery slot & paid no extra for it. Then came the scary bit, I opened up the instruction manual. Wow! very easy to read, I understood it first time! I am very pleased with this product & recommend it to anyone who is looking through the quagmire of different types of Glucose Monitors to know which product to buy. Does exactly what it says on the tin and the replacements are cheap too.Keep it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good value for test strips., 22 Oct 2013
Geoff - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This glucose meter is really good value, particularly if you are buying your own test strips, as they are very much less expensive than for other meters, a third the price of some. Sadly some medical practices now restrict test strips, particularly for type II patients not on insulin.

This may not be the most accurate meter, though it seems pretty good, but if you need to regularly check your blood glucose, perhaps several times a day, particularly if you are paying for the strips, this is certainly good enough to keep track of things.

I was having great difficulty with my glucose levels until I read, "Blood Sugar 101: What They Don't Tell You About Diabetes". So I realised I needed to go onto a lower carbohydrate diet and check my glucose just before and about 2hours after each meal, to ensure it was under control, preferably no more than 8 mmol/l. Hence I am using a lot more test strips than I am allowed, at least 6 a day, but it is a great help and with this meter and I can now afford the test strips. The result has been very successful in improving my glucose levels and putting off the need for insulin.

I have found the lancing device that comes with this meter is perfectly adequate and about the same as any other, although I use other lancets that I already have, so I don't know why some have a problem with this one.

If you want the USB connecting lead to your computer and the program to save, analyse and display your readings, this is not yet available trough Amazon, but can be obtained directly from Home Health (UK) Ltd, for about £23, who also sell the meter on Amazon. Just Google Home Health (UK) Ltd, click on Glucose Monitor and scroll down to "SD Codefree Diabetes Management Software Cable". From there you can order the cable and download the program to your computer.

If you are having difficulty reading the small User Guide, then from Home Health, or directly from SD Biosensors, you can download a PDF copy of the guide and read it enlarged on the screen, or print an enlarged copy of the pages you need. There will similarly be a PDF copy of a handbook for the computer program, though that is currently being updated and should also soon be available through Home Health, or SD Biosensors.

I don't yet have the cable and have not yet tried out the program, but will update on that later. I initially had a problem loading the program and obtaining the cable, so contacted SD Biosensors in Korea, who sorted out the problems for me.

In the mean time this meter has been a great help in controlling my diabetes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Impressed, 4 April 2014
RCS (County Durham) - See all my reviews
I bought the SD Codefree blood glucose monitoring kit after being diagnosed with pre-diabetes in January 2014. This piece of equipment has been invaluable in assisting me to both reduce and control my blood glucose levels.

At the time of my initial diagnosis (11 weeks ago), my doctor told me that there was no need to monitor my sugar levels as they would check it annually. (clearly the NHS is strapped for cash and are not prepared to fund the necessary blood testing strips for type 2 diabetics ?)

Though I was informed that the local GP diabetic team would be in touch with me, to date I have received no more advise or help, other than an eye examination, (retinopathy), which was OK. (I learnt quite quickly that the only way forward was to do it myself - I purchased a couple of helpful books and researched on the internet - I also found diabetes UK forum to be quite useful)

I am therefore so pleased I decided to buy this monitor, it has enabled me to reduce my fasting blood glucose levels from around 7Mmol/L at initial diagnosis to an average of 5.5Mmol/L over the last 50 days. (initially I tested four to five times a day, now I only test once, unless I am consuming an "untested" food/drink.

I have compared the accuracy of my monitor with a friends Contour XT meter and the differences in comparable blood samples are negligible, (less than 0.3Mmol/L). My friend pays £42 for 100 test strips, I pay £14 for mine - in my opinion its a no brainer.

Finally I have found the seller of my choice Home Health (UK) to be a highly professional, reliable company that I can thoroughly recommend.

I hope this review of my purchase is of some use to others who may be in a similar situation.

Latest update (26th October 2014)

So having used this monitor for over 9 months I have reduced the number of readings to two a week (waking).
The monitor has worked faultlessly and I am convinced that it has enabled me to improve from "pre-diabetic", in January 2014 to no indication of diabetes over the last 8 months.

My average "waking" blood sugar reading is now 4.2 mmol/L.

If the NHS provided "at risk" patients with this inexpensive monitoring tool and showed them how to interpret, (and alter diet accordingly), the readings, they would save the UK a fortune.

When will they learn to identify and treat the "root cause", rather than treat the symptoms with drugs such as metformin and statins?

Certainly one of the best purchases I have ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product, 24 Jan 2012
This is an excellent and much cheaper than others available. works well, easy to use and accurate results. Plus comes with free strips so that you can start using it at once.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 25 Mar 2012
I was very pleased with this purchase. I was a bit hesitant as I had not heard of this make. However after reading the reviews I felt re-assured and having tried the machine I am glad I followed the reviews.
It is simple to use and has full instructions should you need them. I also liked the fact the the machine came with a kit of strips and lancets.
The strips are the cheapest I have found, so this scores well as you always need to buy replacements. I ordered a box of strips and lancets with my order.
The price is also very reasonable so I would recommend to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent meter package, 1 Feb 2013
Ms. Barbara Smith (WEST MIDLANDS) - See all my reviews
This new meter is very accurate. I made two tests back-to-back and the readings were 5.5 and 5.6. This corresponded with the reading from my old meter.

Also, if you need to buy your own test strips, these are about a third of the cost of the ones I have to buy from Boots for my old meter and are loose in a tub, which I prefer to ones that are in a cartridge.

The test strip sends an electrical charge to the meter and the strength of this determines the reading - so no blood touches the meter. This was a problem with my old meter, as unless the sensor was carefully cleaned, it could cause an error message, which was difficult to clear.

One of the joys is that the smallest drop of blood only, is needed. It also takes just five seconds for the reading to appear.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this meter to anyone. It's small neat and light to carry around.

5.0 out of 5 stars SD codefree, 24 Jan 2012
The kit arrived promptly and seems to work perfectly. I purchased it with extra test strips as it was very competitively priced, representing good value for money. It comes with everything you need to start testing. It also has a very comprehensive manual so if you've not tested before you need have no worries with this kit. The whole purchase was considered to be very good for what is included. The replacement strips are competitively priced too when you need them.

4.0 out of 5 stars great value for money, 24 Jan 2012
this kit is great value for money, its very simple to use and works perfectly, replacement strips are low priced too.