5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung to Arcam: how entertainment is supposed to sound.
Used this to link my Samsung Smart LED TV to my Arcam Solo Mini Hifi system - took 5 minutes, works perfectly, sounds.... incredible. No doubt the quality of the hifi and speakers makes a major contribution, but the DAC is the vital link in the chain, and this one is worth every penny. The Arcam equivalent costs 200.

The unit was well packaged and delivered...
Published 12 months ago by Ian Turnedge

3.0 out of 5 stars Does it cope with BBC1HD sound?
I purchased this little item to connect the toslink out of my new Virgin Media box to my analogue Yamaha amplifier. I have powered it via the USB port in the VM box. There is some clicking while changing through some channels, nothing to complain about really. However, I cannot watch BBC1HD because the sound is all a dreadful noise. I haven't experienced this for other HD...
Published 16 months ago by Luis Mendiz

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung to Arcam: how entertainment is supposed to sound., 15 April 2013
Ian Turnedge (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital to Analog Audio Converter - 192kHz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC SPDIF - TOSlink / Coaxial to Stereo Left/Right RCA - FiiO D03K Taishan (Electronics)

The unit was well packaged and delivered quickly. Fiio have helpfully included little notes about selecting PCM output from your TV, a small point, but maybe one that gets overlooked? Included in the box is small, neat a power supply unit, but if your TV has a spare USB port, you can spend 1 on a "USB to mini USB" cable, plug the USB end into your TV and use the "mini USB" end to power the DAC itself. This is a great feature, because it means (1) that you don't need to take up an electrical plug socket, and (2) the DAC switches itself on and off with the TV - this has to be a good thing.

The DAC has a metal body, is supplied with all the ports covered with colour coded plastic caps, and certainly feels like a premium quality component (easily better than the price tag would suggest). There is a red LED to denote power supply, and a blue one to confirm that the optical (TOSLINK) signal is being received correctly from the TV.

I'd recommend using a little sticky velcro pad to hold the DAC onto the back of the TV, so the installation can be neat and tidy. If the little velcro pad was included in the box, that would be even better, but that is splitting hairs...

This is the second DAC I tried on my system: apparently the Arcam Hifi system is picky about what it will play with, and that is the main reason why I wrote this - other Arcam users may find it useful.

The Fiio DAC is great value, worked first time, and the difference in sound over your TV speakers is incredible: buy one and be prepared to fall in love with your movie collection and Hifi all over again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best buy this year in audio, 23 Jan 2013
Like others, I took a chance on this. In my system it converts a digital stream from an Airport Express into analogue audio and sends it via it's RCA phono sockets to a Arcam Delta amp and speakers in our study. This is the best that system has ever sounded and easily competes for clarity and precision with the Roksan Kandy / Dacmagic 100 combo in the main room. I have set it up with the Airport Express providing the power via its spare USB connection which saves a plug in a quite confined space so all the better. Two tiny leds indicate red for power on and blue for the lock to the digital signal.

It has mini usb, coaxial and toslink inputs. RCA phono outputs. A rocker switch selects coax or toslink. The mini usb takes the wall wart power input or as described takes power from your PC, usb hub or Airport Express.

At this price it is an astonishing buy, tiny - just big enough to accept the interconnects - and unobtrusive, superb sound and well built in a metal casing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 18 April 2012
Christopher Burns "chrisgb" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Been using this at work to run the SPDIF output from a Playstation3 into an older analogue mixing console, and it's working well for us. The power supply in the box was a European twin-pronged affair, but as it can also be powered via mini-USB, I've just been plugging it into one of the PS3's USB controller outputs, with the added benefit that it also switches off when the PS3 is shut down too. It's very straightforward as there is only one control on the device (which switches from either a coaxial or optical input); all you have to do is connect it up. It's a physically tiny thing too - about the size of two stacked matchboxes - but it "feels" well-made.

4.0 out of 5 stars a bit flimsy but cheap, 3 Aug 2013
S. Mark Gee - See all my reviews
this is just a bit bigger than a match box and it converts digital to analog!! what more can I say. you would obviously buy it not expecting mage hifi quality - tho it sounds ok to me (and I have a 200 DAC to compare it to). I think one flaw with it is that if you power it using a usb cable from a pc then the pc can't find a driver for it (none supplied AFIK)...my pc then kep beeping at me. you can of course instead use the supplied power cable...no probs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent, 29 Feb 2012
M. Siddi (bristol) - See all my reviews
I bought the fiio d3 192/24 bit just to give a try as my dac magic from Cambridge audio did not operate to 192/24 bit and to my surprise its so good I haven't plugged my dac magic in,Since I bought the fiio d3.Really good value I would recommend it highly.
Marcello Siddi

5.0 out of 5 stars Competitively priced DAC, does the job, 21 Aug 2013
Does what it is designed to do, linking my optical cable to RCA cables to plug into a transmitter. Compared with other DACs on the market it is very competitively priced.

5.0 out of 5 stars TiVo, 26 Jun 2013
I bought this little box to connect a Tivo box to my hifi (Cambridge Audio 640v2 x2 into Usher 'speakers, 604's). Sound is typically digital, but after a while it improves. Worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous product, 5 Jun 2013
Does the job perfectly. I used it to connect the freeview receiver to my old (nearly 40 years old!) but outstandingly good amplifier and speakers. Result is excellent quality audio for our tv viewing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Digital to Analogue Audio Converter - 192khz/24bit Optical and Coaxial DAC SPDIF, 17 Jun 2012
nowie (glasgow, united kingdom) - See all my reviews
Worked right away upon connecting the toslink cable from virgin media's fiber optic v+ television digital receiver and L/R rca jacks to a 5.1 surround sound amplifier. It comes with a digital switch giving the user an option to use coaxial or toslink unlike most popular digital to analogue audio adapters which I think comes on automatic detection when both coaxial and toslink optical audio cables are connected from source to amplifier output. Thanks to this great seller and Amazon for the usual faultless online transaction.

4.0 out of 5 stars does the job pretty well, 3 Feb 2014
M. LANE "MX" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
Like others I a have tv (LG ) with audio output only via optical (who o why ! ).
So to connect to old style phono inputs on an old surround sound system I needed this.
Worked straight out of box. Sound quality is fine for my needs but not crystal clear
( some hiss when volume turned right down low , but then did not buy it for low volume sound.)
also the hiss may be mostly down to my old surround system.
Unit runs almost cold, adapter gets only slightly warm.
Not tried powering it via a usb socket on tv - that's probably better.
No noticeable lag either i.e. can have tv and s.s. system on together fine.

ARRAY(0xa11f5aec)