4.0 out of 5 stars fragment
This short story appears to have been detached from a longer work: not because the story is incomplete or characterization lacking -quite the contrary I would say- but because it mirrors a fantasy world that we assume without having really seen it. Personally I would have loved to see it.

It is set in an arab-like fantasy world dominated by heat and sand. The...
Published on 9 April 2012 by Furio

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't really get it :(
Formatting, layout and proofing seems good for the Kindle.

I liked the writing style and thought I'd enjoy this short story. To me it had echo's of Iain M. Banks ~ a narrative that takes no hostages and just tells it's tale expecting the reader to catch up like the adults we are.

And that's when it all started to fall apart a little bit for me. I...
Published on 4 Jan. 2013 by Combat Wombat

4.0 out of 5 stars fragment, 9 April 2012
Furio (Genova - Italy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ant Tower (Kindle Edition)

It is set in an arab-like fantasy world dominated by heat and sand. The lead is gay but even if the story is emotionally explicit there is nothing graphic.
Writing is excellent. The world seen through the eyes of the lead is very much alive even if the slight price to pay -due to the shortness of the story itself- is that all the other characters are a little out of focus.

I only have one objection but it is a serious one: the narration is told along two timelines, the present and the recent past leading to the present events. It is quite a refined structure, especially in a short story, but confusion is bound to arise as the settings of the two timelines are essentially identical, the first covering the trip to the last town and the second the trip from there to the ant tower. It took me several pages to understand flashbacks of a very recent past (we are talking of mere days) were alternating with the present and it did spoil the fun a bit.
I can see the sense of interrupting the gritty trip through the sands with quieter moments but the quality of the story is such that it would have more than tolerated a single timeline.

3.0 out of 5 stars I didn't really get it :(, 4 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Ant Tower (Kindle Edition)
Formatting, layout and proofing seems good for the Kindle.

And that's when it all started to fall apart a little bit for me. I got the tale. I got the characters. I just did not get "the message" or the point or the spirit or whatever it is that usually makes one care about the words that are being read.

The author seems confident and competent enough, so I am guessing it's a fault in me :( I hope others enjoy it more. CW.

The Ant Tower