4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read
It's Freya's birthday and she's about to meet her long term boyfriend, Russell, for a celebratory lunch. When Freya turns up she overhears her boyfriend commenting about her appearance in a way that sends her reeling, taking her totally by surprise and in true Freya style, she does a disappearing act.

Ending up on a Greek island where her best friend Emma...
Published on 28 Nov. 2011 by Book reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars A light read
A chance romance between a disgruntled English photographer and a Hollywood movie star on a Greek Island is an unlikely starting point. After that, it becomes even less plausible. However, it is nicely written and trips along nicely enough to be satisfactory bedtime reading.
Published on 26 Sept. 2012 by noprobs

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable read, 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Excess All Areas (Freya Johnson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

Ending up on a Greek island where her best friend Emma lives, Freya thinks she can hide away from the pain and heartache she experienced in the UK. However, she didn't anticipate meeting up with Holloywood heart-throb Nicholas Kaden and she certainly didn't expect to find herself becoming involved with him, despite her initial reservations about his motives.

Freya is fun and fiesty, full of witty comments. She is also extremely loyal to her friends and has deeply grounded principles which have in the past caused her a great deal of trouble. Trouble that she has really doesn't want anyone to know about. Nicholas Kaden is very smooth and calm, has everything under control but he too has something in his past that he is hiding from the world. Freya and Nicholas may on the surface seem like an unlikely couple but underneath they have more in common than they realise. Are either of them able to face up to their past or will it cloud their lives forever? Can they also deal with those around them, dear and not so dear, who are happy to destroy them for their own reasons?

There are twists and turns along the way, together with a few surprises. Excess All Areas is an enjoyable read and I found myself drawn into the novel with ease.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excess all areas, 6 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Excess All Areas (Freya Johnson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Lovely romance, which was an easy read, it had great characters with you could relate to and there was humour thrown in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excess All Areas by Mandy Baggot, 4 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Excess All Areas (Freya Johnson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Freya Johnson should be celebrating her thirtieth birthday, having a nice romantic meal with her boyfriend Russell in a nice restaurant, but instead she has flown to the pretty village of Kassiopi in northern Corfu to be with her best friend Emma. Freya is upset at overhearing her boyfriend Russell putting her down about her weight when asking the barman if he had seen Freya arrive at the restaurant. Russell had not known that Freya heard his unflattering comments and after hearing them she just fled and got in a taxi to the airport and now was in the pretty village of Kassiopi. Emma lived in the village after falling in love with a local boy and had decided to stay. Emma is the closest friend that Freya has ever had and a good confidante. The only person she can turn to as she does not see or talk to her family. Freya is also looking to have a nice peaceful break, a chance to reflect while she decides what to do and the island is the perfect place to do this.

Oscar winning Hollywood actor Nicholas Kaden, one of the most famous men on the planet is filming his latest movie on the island. In less than twenty four hours since Freya had arrived on the island, Nicholas Kaden and his entourage manage to annoy and inconvenience, Freya by taking over the island. When Freya finds out that they have taken over her favourite table in a restaurant, which had been booked for her to have a belated birthday celebration, unimpressed by Nicholas Kaden's celebrity status she marches up to Kaden and gets cross, telling him and his entourage exactly what she thinks. Nicholas Kaden asks them to join his party for dinner, Freya is reluctant and is determined not to, but Emma jumps at the chance of dining and spending time with a film star so she agrees. Freya has formed an opinion on Nicholas Kaden that he is a stuck up, spoilt, arrogant actor with too much money and little concern for anyone but himself and when she overhears two male members of Nicholas entourage putting her down about her weight and saying they have placed a bet with Nicholas to if he beds her when he takes her out on a date. Still angry about what happened with Russell she decides to say yes to when Nicholas asks her out, so that she can take out revenge on `Mr Hollywood' for daring to make her the subject of a bet.

But when Nicholas is charming on their date will she still go ahead with her plan for revenge?

What about Russell is he now a part of her past and is she ready to move forward and leave the past behind?

This is another enjoyable read from Mandy Baggot. I read this book in one sitting. Freya is a good strong leading character in this beautiful written story set in a picturesque part of Greece. What I like about Mandy's main characters in this book is that they have a lot of depth and background that make the characters and the storyline far more interesting and impossible for you to predict how the storyline will come to its conclusion.

I really recommend reading any if not all of Mandy Baggot's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not excessive!, 26 Jun. 2010
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Excess All Areas (Paperback)
The book is set on the gorgeous island of Corfu, and it's a lovely setting for the book. What I adore about a book is one that takes you away on its journey with you, and Excess All Areas certainly does that. I loved how Mandy described the setting so well, you could imagine everything that Freya was seeing from the small local restaurant her best friend works at, to the local jewellery shop and the isolated places that she visits on her trips with Nicholas. I loved the fact I could close my eyes and that the book took me away to these places very easily, I found the book so easy to pick up and get absorbed in.

The characters are all very well written and believable people. Freya is our leading lady, and she has a bit of a secret about her. If I'm honest, I had no clue about this throughout the book and I'm not going to say anymore as I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read but I didn't see it coming at all, and I love the fact Baggot managed to keep it from her readers. Freya's really likeable, and I love her attitude around movie star Nicholas too. Nicholas is definitely the man we're supposed to love in the book, he seems almost a bit too good to be true but I loved that about him as there is a real fairytale element about the storyline between him and Freya.

While the book is a light-hearted tale set in Corfu, it does have its darker moments as well and I think Baggot has tackled these really well. I think the storyline she brings in involving Nicholas is very well placed in the book, and it is great to see an issue like this being brought up in women's fiction as it is not something usually mentioned. I also enjoyed the storyline with Freya in the middle of the book about her secret, it was tough to read in parts but makes her current character make sense. This is what I very much enjoyed about the book - it was quite funny and sweet, then it dived into something different when you least expect it and it really kept me hooked and wanting more.

This is a great chick lit book by an unsigned author, and if Mandy Baggot carries on writing at this level, then I can't see it will be too long before a publisher snaps her up! It really is worthy of a book deal, the writing is fluid and easy to read, the characters are well developed and likeable, and most importantly, the story reels you in and you want to keep reading more to see how it is all going to end! I stayed up until 1am finishing this because I was desperate to see how things would pan out for Freya, and that's the sign of a good book for me - I just don't want to put it down. I loved it, and hope that Mandy soon gets the praise and recognition she deserves for a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise ., 27 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Excess All Areas (Freya Johnson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I'm not normally one for reading romances, unless there is a gothic twist. This book was free so I gave it a go. I'm happy I did. The author has a lovely way of writing realistic, down to earth characters. It had a feel of Bridget Jones/ Shirley Valentine about it. The humour was spot on and I really related to some of the retro references. A great story with brilliant writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Feisty fun!, 21 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Excess All Areas (Freya Johnson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
What can you say about Freya? She's larger than life, feisty, fun and breaking every rule in the Hollwood book! We could all do with a friend like her.

A fun, fast paced and refreshing read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want to put down, 27 July 2013
This review is from: Excess All Areas (Freya Johnson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
What a great story line and wonderful realistic characters. Completely enjoyed the read :-) great romantic book for a summer holiday relax. Went straight on to purchasing the follow on to Freya and Nick's story - Public Property

5.0 out of 5 stars A light holiday read, 7 July 2013
FW (East Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Excess All Areas (Freya Johnson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Typical easy chick lit style, it's a tale of a holiday romance. Fun, but if you read it, you'll probably agree its not the most believable tale in today's society - more's the pity! Very easy to read on your sun lounger and I enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Excess All Areas (Freya Johnson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This is a great book, great storyline and characters. Couldn't put it down and read in a day. Ending was a bit abrupt and would like to know if there's a 2nd book

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read!, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Excess All Areas (Freya Johnson Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really don't know where to start with this review. I'm glad I left it for a while after reading the book, otherwise it would have looked something like this:
!!!!!!!!!gdgporjgoprogpGESKHGDGJDPOFGPojfpsgposdjod!!!!

I absolutely LOVED this book. To the extent that I was actually sad it had finished and just wanted to wave a wand to hopefully reveal some hidden parts that Mandy had been keeping from us. I could read on and on about these characters, they were perfectly written and the whole book was full of emotional ups and downs. It actually made me blub at a few points and that never happens to me!

Freya is a very complex character and you find out more and more about her as the novel goes on. I really like the unfolding of the story for each of the characters. Nick is a fantastic character right from the first time we meet him, however, when his secret is revealed, your heart melts.
Mandy really helps you to feel close to her characters and this is a very hard thing to do.

Corfu is an amazing setting for a novel, I visited for the first time last year and fell in love with the place. After reading this novel, I just want to get on a plane right now and become a Corfiot for life!

I have already read `Knowing Me Knowing You' so I know Mandy's skills are constant. I can't wait to get started on the next one!

For more of my reviews, check out [...]

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›