1,469 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping novel
This book was sent to my kindle for me to review.
Published on 11 Jan. 2012 by marglyn

Published 7 months ago by andrew1530

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping novel, 11 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
This book was sent to my kindle for me to review.
The author has it all here with darkness, abuse, degradation, drugs, sex and a murder at the start of the novel. The husband is a control freak and his idea of marital relations are not the normal ones found in a loving relationship. His wife is not aware of this at first but begins to see something is not right on their honeymoon. It is the wife who tells most of the story through the letters she writes to her best friend. The caring policeman who is drawn to the wife, the missing girls and his own daughter are all involved in different ways.

This is a well written novel and the plot is superb, nothing is given away to the reader. Several twists and turns. I highly recommend it and look forward to reading more of this authors works.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only The Innocent, 6 April 2013
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Paperback)
I read this book because of the many positive reviews it had and on the whole really enjoyed it. I like a thriller and love a murder so it seemed my sort of book.

The book had a great start that really drew me into the story, I liked the style of writing and the book flowed well. As the past was gradually unravelled by way of letters written by the murder victims wife Laura to her friend but never posted, I was intrigued enough to want to read to the end to find out which of the many suspects could have killed Sir Hugo Fletcher.

Bit of a cross between a thriller and a romance. If I'm totally honest I found the ending a bit unrealistic and it did spoil what would have been a brilliant book for me. But on the whole a really good book that I would recommend.

Bearing in mind that this was Rachel Abbott's first novel, I was pretty impressed and have already bought and started her latest one The Back Road

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyable!, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
This is the second Rachel Abbott novel I've read and I enjoyed it immensely! She has a wonderful way of making the characters very real and engaging so you can't help but read on to find out more about what has and is happening to them. The writing style is very descriptive so you can really picture the characters, places and scenes in the book for yourself. The plot of this book built up steadily and kept me hooked and I'm delighted to say that I didn't see the end coming, which is unusual for me. A top class read and I hope Rachel brings out another book very soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Page turner!!, 18 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
I found this book very hard to put down!! The twists and turns the novel took were enough to keep you shocked and want to know more. It really annoys me when people write reviews which clearly over analyse the content ... Just read and enjoy or not enjoy don't go into dialogue, character depth etc etc.

This book certainly entertained me on a rainy Sunday, which is what u want from a book !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read so much, gave me a headache!, 5 May 2013
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
I have to blame this novel for giving me a headache. I started reading this novel earlier this morning and couldn't put it down and read so much, I had to have a lie down with a cool flannel over my head! Seriously, it's one of the best crime novels I've read for a while, and it passed the 'page-turner' test for me.

The characters were very good, I really liked DCI Tom Douglas and I hope there will be more of him. I really enjoyed reading about the relationship between Laura and Hugh, gripping stuff and had me saying 'nooooo' at my kindle a few times.

The story was very well paced and offered little hooks all the way through to keep me reading, hence the headache. I found myself racing through the end to find out the solution, and it was very satisfactory. I'm looking forward to reading the next novel, only this time I'd better have some Ibuprofen at the ready as I think it'll be another gripping read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ever since I discovered the joy of books as a young lad I've always told ..., 22 July 2014
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
Ever since I discovered the joy of books as a young lad I've always told myslef not to give up on a book and to see it through to the end no matter how turgid I found it or how badly written it was. In the 40 or so years of reading everything from airport pot-boilers to the classics, I've tried to follow this principle and I can count on the fingers of one hand the few times I have actually given up.

I say this in an attempt to indicate how unremittingly bad this book is, because about one third of the way in I contemplated poking my eyes out with rusty nails rather than start the next chapter of this dire, cliched guff. Instead I decided to junk it. Maybe its my fault, maybe I should have researched the title a bit more but having read the blurb I thought i was buying a highly recommended crime thriller. How wrong I was. In actual fact it reads like the most trite of "women's fiction", all deep meaningful glances at the handsome hero cop, a complete lack of story progression and pointless chapter long padding between the widowed wife and her sister in law designed to inform the reader of past events. I will not miss this book.

Awful, awful, awful. Do not buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazing..., 30 May 2014
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
is the only word that can describe my reaction to so many 5 star reviews for this really awful book. Ignoring the pólice officers, the charity, the Mills and Boon Sir Hugo, all of which can be criticised in equal measure, we have the star of the show, Laura. A successful film-maker, Laura meets Sir Hugo and after a whirlwind romance, marries him. She goes from being an intelligent woman to an idiot in the space of several months. She allows him to choose her clothes, including her wedding dress without the slightest objection, equally everything in their relationship is determined by Sir Hugo. She is an intelligent woman, not a latterday Eliza Dolittle, plucked from the gutter and being groomed by 'Enry 'Iggins. Perhaps Sir Hugo is a genetically-modified vampire sucking brains instead of blood. A truly awful book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Plodding in places but a good debut, 8 July 2014
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
I read Sleep Tight first (apparently the third one in this series) quite by chance and was totally engrossed in it. Realising I had bought Only the Innocent some time ago and, for some unknown had overlooked it, I started reading it with relish as I had so enjoyed Sleep Tight. I also wanted to know more about the background of the wonderful and gorgeous, DCI Tom Douglas who I really like, and his sergeant, Becky Robinson.

I have to say I struggled with this one, sadly. I just felt like it was going round and round in circles at times and was getting frustrated as to why no one was telling the truth.

Laura Fletcher is a character I liked and loathed at times; her whiny voice was getting on my nerves and she seemed so weak and feeble I wanted to shake her! She is married the handsome but dastardly, Hugo, who makes her life a living hell with his dreadful but very careful bullying of her until she is a mere shell of her former vivacious self.

We learn what has happened to Laura in her letters to her life long friend, and latterly sister in law, Imogen. The letters were never sent but kept secret should anything happen to her and then Imogen would know the truth. However during the investigation into the sudden death of Hugo, Laura gives the letters to Imogen to read so she knows what has been happening to her as she had lost contact with Imogen many years before.

It's fast, it's pacy and should have been wonderfully enjoyable but I felt there was something slightly lacking and overall that it was a little too long, as the facts were constantly being repeated which became quite tedious. However as I realise this was Rachel Abbott's debut novel and I have since read another book of hers, I would recommend reading it if only to get the background on the delicious Tom, who I know is going to be a great character.

5.0 out of 5 stars a gripping debut from an exceptional author, 15 Feb. 2012
Steven (Buckinghamshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
I read quite a lot of thrillers and have to say this was one of the best I've read in a while.

The book revolves around the murder of a famous philanthropist and, so the public thought all-round good-guy sir Hugo Fletcher. As the book develops we find out more about Hugo and realise that not all is as it seems.

All the characters feel real and well-rounded. From Laura Hugo's wife to the chief police officer Tom, the reader empathises with them and understands their motivations. Even the minor characters feel original and well-thought out.

The plot is gripping and in particular, the sections of the book narrated in the form of letters Laura wrote to her best friend are particularly strong. The procedure of the police felt authentic and the twist at the end, although I saw it coming from some way out was never-the-less very enjoyable and the dilemma Tom is left with at the end of the book is truly fascinating.

The book is fast-paced and well written with the authors prose giving the story a real sense of atmosphere. I recommend Only the Innocent without reservation and will look forward to Rachel Abbot's next book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst book I have read in a long time, 31 Mar. 2012
P. Kennett (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
I have read many crime novels in the last few months and this has to be the worst by a mile. The plot devices are so contrived it is ridiculous; a series of letters that are read one at a time by another character to drip feed information into the story (as if any real person would have such a lack of curiosity!)a diary conveniently left at the scene of a crime, a villian who is so one dimensional it beggars belief. As for Laura, the central character, she is completely unbelievable and pretty unlikeable too. Do not waste hours of you life reading this book.

Only the Innocent