4.0 out of 5 stars Yarrr Matey!
Published 9 months ago by Nick C

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong item
I was sent a book version of the Rebecca book rather than the music CD I thought I was buying. Disappointing purchase but not the artist's fault.
Published 17 months ago by lyncasling

4.0 out of 5 stars Yarrr Matey!, 26 Sept. 2014
Nick C (Middleton, Manchester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Jamaica Inn (Audio CD)
This came as a nice surprise – I kind of bought this blind having heard of Lee Small and enjoying his vocals on the Surveillance Angelstation album. This is his second solo album I believe and is an excellent piece of bluesy melodic rock. Lee’s vocal performance is bang on and quite reminiscent of some of the real greats like Glenn Hughes or Paul Rogers. The songs are really well crafted following a theme of piracy and smuggling throughout – obviously I guess seeing as the title is Jamaica Inn haha! What did stun me was the cover of the song Voyager by Gamma, I have to admit I prefer the Gamma version – but that may be because of familiarity with it. An even bigger shock was the cover of Boyz II Men song End of the Road, now this really is (for me) preferable to the original – Lee gives it this gritty more heart rending feel..fantastic.

Having focussed on the covers it’s actually the other songs that are the better songs – especially my fave at the moment the short I am the Sea where Lee’s voice almost mimics the ebb and flow of the tide. Smugglers Blues almost reminds me of Alice Coopers Only Women Bleed but it gains it’s own persona very quickly.
Ace album definitely worth investigating.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nautical tale, 11 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Jamaica Inn (Audio CD)
Following on from his raved about performance on the 2011 SHY album,lee Small branches off in a different direction on this album heading for a blues/soul sound. The comparisons to Glenn Hughes are even more in evidence here,throw in a bit of Paul Rodgers and the combination is a winner.Each track is laid back with a great guitar and drum sound, the only exception is the Zep inspired Walk the Plank(Rock and Roll anybody) The theme of the album is of the sea and pirates,an odd choice but it works for me.The highlight track for me is a cover of the Ronnie Montrose track VOYAGER taken from the GAMMA 2 album(superb,Ronnies finest moment),the album ends with waves crashing on the beach,seagulls flying overhead and somebody playing Carry on Wayward Son by Kansas on an accordion? Odd but it seems to fit,ENJOY!!!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Wrong item, 9 Jan. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfull Album, 9 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Jamaica Inn (Audio CD)
I love this CD thanks of a friend of my, you keep into your heart forever. Thanks Lee Small for the great job.

Jamaica Inn
Jamaica Inn by Lee Small (Audio CD - 2012)