5.0 out of 5 stars Clear instructions, beautiful results
What struck me first about this book was how lovely it was to flick through. Clean layout, decorative but not fussy and striking photographs. Very scandinavian, of course. I've followed Signe's blog for some time and admired her baking skills and her knowledgeable approach to food and cooking. So I was very interested in seeing what her first cookbook would be like and I...
Published on 10 May 2011 by Ms A Phelan

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but a bit disappointing
Cookbook is written by a Norwegian 'food anthropologist' trained at Leith's. I can only suggest that this has diluted her heritage. The recipes are well written out, but very simplistic. Do we really need five double pages on salad? The pictures are beautifully posed and styled, but a fair proportion of them are full page shots of the author, looking coy, cute, winsome...
Published 18 months ago by Rebecca

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and simple cookbook, 17 Jan. 2013
This is an excellent introduction to Scandinavian baking - particularly those delicious pastries which are often disappointing when bought from a British bakery. Much better fresh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bursting with Nordic flavour, 2 Jun. 2011
A. Hunt "book review watcher" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book is a kitchen treasure. You might be wondering whether recipes created by a former Fat Duck chef would be complicated and fussy, but these are fresh and simple, without any tricks or gimmicks, and yet still sophisticated in taste.

There's really no downside here at all. The book is gorgeous in design and production, so it would make a lovely gift. The food is appealing and healthy. Many of the recipes are relatively quick, and the lengthier ones - baking etc - look well worth the effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, 28 Jun. 2013
Sylvia Reed (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
To think that I once thought that cinnamon toast was just cinnamon sprinkled on buttered toast! Check out this Nordic recipe with strawberries and cream. I also love the way the brunch section starts with a recipe for Scandinavian Bloody Mary. And it's started me baking with spelt flour. It is also a beautiful book to browse through and helpfully gives alternatives for any ingredients hard to find in the remoter areas of the UK. Hope anyone who buys it gets as much pleasure from it as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Setting a culinary trend, 16 Dec. 2011
Spearheading this year's trend for Nordic and Scandinavian cuisine, Signe Johansen's Scandilicious has been one of my favourite books of the year, so much so I've renewed my library copy SIX times now and will inevitably buy it when they forcibly remove it from me.

The styling is effortlessly, well, stylish with graphic printed linens and ceramics. My top recipes are Jarlsberg and fennel muffins, Daim cake and the blackberry, almond and cardamom cake. Plenty of dinner and snack dishes in here too, there is a fair amount of baking but not limited to that - roll on Scandilicious Baking coming out July 2012, I hope it's as delightful as her first book.

Foodies have been praising Nordic/Scandi cuisine for a couple of years now but possibly 2012 will see this type of cuisine go mainstream at a more upmarket level than mere Ikea cafe.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book filled with great photography but above all else fantastic recipes!, 8 July 2011
This is a fantastic book to dip in and out of, particularly when you are looking for something a little unusual. The book is beautifully presented with great photography.

The recipes are well constructed and easy to follow and should allow all cooks to create interesting, tasty dishes.

A must if you are entertaining Scandinavian friends, or indeed any lovers of good home cooked food.

3.0 out of 5 stars More of a baking book than a cooking book, 6 Feb. 2014
I was disappointed in this book. It's certainly well done and well written, but you've got to have a sweet tooth... It's organized by meal : breakfast, brunch, lunch, afternoon cake, dinner and desert. This list gives you some clues at what's wrong here... Except for lunch and dinner, the rest is only sweet recipes : drinks, jams, cakes, pastries etc... For lunch ? it's only sandwiches... So that leaves you with dinner, which is way too short... You want fish recipes ? It's mostly seafood : prawns, shelfish, and smoked salmon/trout. She rarely uses fresh fish, and it's mostly healthy food. Basically you never see a real appetizing meal... The cakes certainly look gorgeous, but that's all. Oh and you won't find any of the Scandinavian cheeses outside of Scandinavia so a list of substitutes would have been nice... I actually think Jamie Oliver did a better job at make his readers want to eat Scandinavian in Jamie Does...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book., 25 July 2012
Very inspiring book. Love the recipes, have already used the jam ones, and the gratin. Lovely to read, pictures great. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 2 Jan. 2015
Paul Hughes (Cleveleys, Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
Does what it says on the box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Secrets of Scandinavian Cooking, 26 Feb. 2012
I found this recipe book easy to read and understand. The photographs are mouth-watering good. The book also gives an insight into the tradition of using local and seasonal produce, some of which we (in Britain) would find unusual.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wrong choice, 3 May 2012
Having been toying with the idea of buying the Nordic Cookbook thought I should read all the reviews, most of which were critical of that book, and there was strong recommendation to go for Scandilicious instead. Having read reviews on Scandilicious 5 stars all round how could I go wrong, so ordered that instead. Said book arrived promptly, and I was so looking forward to seeing what all the fabulous reviews were about. Having spent adequate time perusing the recipes, oh dear I feel I've made the wrong choice.

Maybe I'm missing something but a majority of the recipes to my mind are exceptionally dull, I'm hoping that with more reading and trying the recipes out if I can muster the enthusiasm, it may well grow on me, but at the moment would anybody like to buy a copy, condition, "hardly used", "like new"...

Unless Amazon wrote the (Scandilicious) reviews, in that case very clever marketing, as I'm now going to order the "Nordic Cookbook" which is what I should have done in the first place.